Camping Stories

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by CanIBeShaggy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. So i would for sure get a spot at one of these? Which one do you recommend?? And these are in California right?

2. Correct.
    Good chance you'll get a spot if you look around hard enough.

Search, "state and county parks" or "campgrounds fresno ca"
    Oakhurst, search Bass Lake campgrounds.
    Mariposa County has Bagby and Briceburg Rec areas. Should have camping available.

Then there's a Koa in Midpines, CA.

There are a lot of options.

As an absolute last resort, stay at the Yosemite Bug hostel, again in Midpines.

All the locations I listed, except Fresno area are within an hour drive one way to Yosemite Valley

3. Average price for camping? I assume CA campgrounds range very different than Michigan campgrounds because so much better scenery..

4. As to the 120/Tioga Pass/395, there are so many campgrounds that if I listed them all, I'd get arthritis lol

Tioga Lake, Ellery Lake (I think), Saddlebag Lake Road has I think, oh idk, three or four campgrounds
    There's also a tremendous amount of little camping areas you can park and stay at a little off the beaten path.
    Anywhere from FREE to $20 a night.

5. Gimme a few minutes, I'll get my laptop running and post a few down loadable PDFS of the local Motor Vehicle Use Maps showing campgrounds.

6. Thanks for all the help!!! :)

7. I live in oakhurst, just 15 minutes from Yosemite so no worries dude!

8. #28 dankness420, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
    Wow have a ton, hears one, hopefully quick.

1 week, 4 guys(including me), 2 ounces, shitload of beer.  Just having fun, hitting up nature trails, beach, even a local skatepark having a great time. One day we decided to hit up walmart and purchased $147 worth of food.  Corn on the cob, pizzas, burgers, sausage, chips, smores, everything to make poutine, mozzarella sticks you name it.

Chilling by the fire everyone is passing out after a good long day.  Buddy has his feet resting on the fire pit.(his socks caught on fire twice that week)
    "ok boys time to put the fire out."
    They jump up pretending not to be sleeping, " Oh no man we are staying up and watching the fire."
    Me - "Right" goes to bed.
    I go to tent and start to pass out as I am hearing noises(animals).  I look out the window in the tent and see a raccoon sniff my buddy then jump on top of him passed out in the chair.(he literally passed out 2 seconds after he said no we are staying up, me being drunk I said fuck it.)  He moans(lol) the yells at other bro sleeping in chair, "HOLY FUCKING RACCOON ON ME!!"....they went to bed after.

And that raccoon ate all the food we bought,  like a $100 loss.

9. Yeah I was backpacking once and a fucking bear tried to get in my bear can! :O
    Sorry for the loss dude, total buzz kill :O

10. Ok I promised a long post, here it goes...

the distance from Kansas City, MO to Yosemite, CA is... 1,803.4 miles to be precise.

Figure out your fuel mileage with a full load, calculate how much fuel you will use to make this journey respectful to the routes you will take. A good website is www.gasbuddy.com

Add in to your budge: unexpected expenses like scheduled maintenance, unexpected hotel stays, illness, food and beverage, park entrance fees, camping fees, toiletries, etc etc...

Is your vehicle in top notch shape? It can be days before someone finds you out here. Mother nature is a fucking bitch, and the Sierra Nevada is unforgiving. Hypothermia can set in within hours.

-The weather in Yosemite and the Sierra Nevadas CAN AND WILL CHANGE RAPIDLY. Pack for a cold winter even if it's a hot summer. Be prepared for anything!

-Before travelling all this distance, KNOW EXACTLY what hikes and what areas you will visit.

Some links on Yosemite Tours and shuttles:
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tours.htm
    The Glacier Point Tour will be cool for you. Book in advance I believe.

I recommend:
    - Vernal and Nevada Falls (Yosemite Valley, moderate hike)
    - Upper Yosemite Falls. Very strenuous day hike.
    - Mirror Lake. Very easy, half hour hike.
    -"The Fen" Yosemite Valley Shuttle Stop #16 at Happy Isles. Cool little mile long walk through the meadow.
    -Half Dome, a very strenous day hike. Only for the fittest

In Tuolumne Meadows:
    -Lambert Dome. Easy hour hike.
    -Dog Lake. Strenous half day hike.
    -The natural springs. Cool half hour walk from the campground. Ask any park employee, they'll direct you to the right trail.
    -Elizabeth Lake. Trailhead is in the Tuolumne Meadows campground, at the Horse Camp area. BEAUTIFUL HIKE. Strenous but my 86 year old grandma did it!
    -May Lake. Cool day hike.

On Highways 49/41/140 side:

Oakhurst, CA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakhurst,_California
    My neck of the woods. This is the LAST STOP before Yosemite for supplies. Stock up while you can.

Near Oakhurst, make a left on 49 at Chase Bank, left on Road 600 to the town of Raymond and Grub Gulch ghost town.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=directions+from+oakhurst+to+raymond+ca&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
    Grub Gulch is on the left, on the way to Raymond.

Mariposa, California:
    A very old, historic town, definitely gotta see it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariposa,_California
    Lots of old mining equipment nd shit, an old execution gulag, and much more!

On Tioga Pass/Highway 120 side:
    -Bennettville: Old ghost town with 1 cop being the only resident. Got chased by a bear here. Awesome hike.
    -Saddlebag Lake Loop, you can also take the ferry boat or rent your own boat.
    -The whole town of Lee Vining is fucking awesome. Lots of sight seeing to do
    -Bodie Ghosttown: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

Now as to campgrounds:

Mariposa County: Along Route 140 to Yosemite, 1 hour to Yosemite Valley

1. BriceBurg Rec Area - 4 or 5 campgrounds, one area
    2. McSwain Resevoir
    3. Koa Midpines, CA
    4. Indian Flat Campground & RV Park
    5. Yosemite Bug Hostel, Midpines
    Above 5 are on Calfornia route 140
    6. Summerdale: Yosemite SOUTH entrance on Hwy 41, near Madera County Border, above Fish Camp.

Oakhurst/Madera County: California 41/ 2 hour drive from Yosemite Valley: MUCH MORE SCENIC, on way to Galcier Point as well.

Road 222 (in Oakhurst) takes you to Bass Lake and North Fork

1. Bass Lake
    http://basslakeca.com/camping.html
    SEE ATTACHED FILE, there are many more campgrounds. Too many to list.
    Refer to Sierra Vista West.pdf
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5306169 more motor vehicle use maps from USFS.
    2. Miami Creek OHV area, where I go ATVing, so maybe you'll see me riding :metal:  :hello: :smoke:

Tioga Pass, California 120 near US 395:

-SaddleBag Lake Loop
    -Tioga Lake
    -Ellery Lake
    -there are MANY campgrounds/sites that are not on the map. You will find them.

Yosemite:
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

-Wawona. One campground. Historic hotel, mainly golf courses and yuppies. Stay here as last resort :devious: It's about an hour from the valley
    -Yosemite Valle has 5 campgrounds, and is the main hub.

-Camp 4: Police housing, pigs everywhere :devious: but it's a tent only campground, used mainly by beer drinking rock climbers and dick cops
    -Upper Pines. Fits everything from cars to RVs. 252 sites in total. Huge campground
    -Lower Pines. 80 spot campground, some good spots
    -North Pines. Best of them all.
    -Backpackers camp: Only for backpackers

Tuolumne Meadows campground. Also has a horse camp. That said, smells like weed, campfires and horse shit, I actually enjoy the smell :eek: :confused: This campground also houses law enforcement, living in tents. They are pricks :devious: :devious: :devious: :devious:
    White Wolf (on way to Tuolumne)
    Porcupine Flat
    Hodgden Meadows
    Bridalveil Creek
    Crane Flat

As to supplies you'll need:

-Beer, can't forget beer. Mkay?
    -Bug spray and wipes. You will need so much your folks across the Mississippi will smell you! Mosquitoes are FUCKING MISERABLE, I REPEAT FUCKING MISERABLE in spring and early summer
    -Any RX meds you take
    -A good first aid kit.
    -Winter clothing
    -Bring your own firewood, $10 a bundle in Yosemite can suck a dick :devious: :devious:
    -Your toiletries and clothing. Try to pack 3 days worth, don't fill up the whole car
    -Good sleeping bags, temperature rated to AT LEAST 20 degrees. Yosemite gets cooollllldddd at night
    A link for a good tent:
    Get at least a 6 or 8 person tent, unless y'all want to hump eachother all fucking night :bolt: :bolt:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Camping-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/105590880/Eurekareg-Copper-Canyon-Tents-150-6-person/1524043.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcamping-tents%2F_%2FN-1102574%2B4294734413%2FNe-4294734413%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105590880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104795280%253Bcat104779080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104795280%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat105590880
    Try to get something with a rain fly and a vestibule. You'll need it.

Cooking:
    -COLLAPSIBLE WATER CONTAINERS. PREFERABLY 2 OR 3
    -Camp stove with fuel
    -Charcoal
    -Spatula
    -Pot and pan set
    -Paper forks, knives and spoons
    -Paper plates and bowls :yummy: :yummy:
    -Sponge, dish soap and dish towels
    -2 bus tubs to wash dishes
    -lighters and matches
    -Lighter fluid, the Kingsford type
    -Bounty, lots of it

Miscellaneous:
    - Roll of $10 quarters x 2 for showers and laundry
    - Tide pods or liquid
    - Fabric softener
    - Phone chargers for each person, that's if you get reception
    -Something to keep up with your finances, like a paper check register to track spending and account balances.

I'm sure I'll think of more, or a more complete checklist. Till then, took me an hour to write this post. I'm getting weiry eyed y'all. Night :wave: :wave:

Attached Files:

11. Dude thanks so much for the help!

12. Hey no worries!
    Going to attach a generic camping checklist
    http://pack414.com/forms/camping_checklist.pdf

Look over it, print it out, add to it. Also, one thing I found that helps me tremendously when I go camping or otherwise take a trip is to categorize it.

-My needs. RX Meds, personal effects I'll need, special dietary needs
    -Toiletries and hygeine. Razors, cream, toothbrush, floss, etc...
    -Entertainment. Books, cell phone charger, headphones, etc
    -Clothing, categorized by usage (warm, cold weather)
    -Camping
    -Shelter and comfort. Hammock, chairs, tent with vestibule and rain fly, paracord, mallet for stakes, extra metal stakes.
    -Cooking: BBQ stuff, stove, fuel, cooking utensils
    -Eating stuff: Plates, cups, bowls, plates, steak knife, etc
    -Food and beverage items for the trip
    -all other miscellaneous items

This is going to be a transcon trip, this is nothing to take lightly. Most certainly plan ahead and know what you're into man! But don't get overwhelmed or let it scare you, just have a plan. Should go like clockwork my friend!

13. my gf at the time and i went on a camping trip by ourselves. it was our first time ever being on our own for multiple days (we were like 18). we smoked a bunch of weed, had sex multiple times in our tent (at least 7 or 8 times a day). but anyway. the camping area was right next to this beach. my gf decided she had to take a shit at some point during the night so she shit on the beach i guess. the next morning, we are in our tent just waking up. we hear this family with a kid walking around on the beach. then out of nowhere the kid gets all excited and he's like "OHHH WOW LOOK AT THIS!!! WHAT IS ITTTT!??? IT'S....IT'S.... IT'S POOP!"

we laughed like crazed hyenas for about half an hour after that.

14. In the beginning of October me and a couple friends went to a koa campground and we bought a quarter and case of beer and rented a cabin. Even though it was off season We weren't sure if we should spark up at the site and there was smoke alarms in the cabin so we were debating where to smoke and decided to walk the trail they had when we get on the the trail the 2 security gaurds were smoking a j! So after that we sparked one up with them

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. One time at a school camp me and all my friends waited till everyone was sleeping and snuck out of our tents and raided people's coolers of all their good food. There was also a group of kids sleeping in a tent that we didn't like so we pulled their tent pegs out of the ground. It was a really rainy windy night so their tent fly, flew into the trees and they got soaked all night. Funniest thing was the next morning we could hear them arguing about who forgot to put the pegs in hahaa.

16. I'm super duper envious of you. I just promised myself when I am finished with college and have my life on track I'm doing just that during the summer living off the land and camping around in all different ways. Their is no better way on the planet to live life then to get out in nature and ruff it. I mean yeah if your working and taking care if your family and whatever your alive but are you really living. I strongly belive in the small things and taking in the beauty of a moment or even just scenery I can litter ally just stare off into mountains and nature and just get lost. I eventually want to backpack across the us Canada Africa all sorts of countries. Sorry for the rant but no body in my life shares that same kind if love in my life. I honestly wish I could spend everyday smoking in nature and just enjoying it....sometimes I hate how the world has changed kids would rather stay inside then live life. People don't realize what they missed out on til its to late :(

17. Went camping with 3 mates and 4 girls about 2 years ago! All we did was smoke weed, get drunk, eat, have sex and repeat for 3 days strait! It was the best weekend ever haha

18. I love camping
    I love sitting by the fire, smoking blunt after blunt, drinking, getting more and more fucked up....

19. I went camping two 4/20's ago. I smoked a lot of weed, drank a fair ammount of alcohol, took some unmentionables of the psychedelic variety, and woke up with a chick I aparently slept with in a rock pit about a half mile from my tent and truck.

Thats all I can remember from that camping trip haha.

20. Sounds epic as a motherfucker