Question Regarding Composted Steer Manure

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by witchdoctorsgarden, Nov 11, 2014.

1. As a matter of fact, I just discovered concentrates nw and will be paying them a visit soon. Additionally, I found a local source of local redworms directly from the farm. As mentioned in previous posts, I KNOW the stuff is here, it's just been a matter of getting people to share information.

The interest in steer manure is that I've used it for years with amazing results organically gardening tomatoes (as well as many other things), and thus have it laying around. I veg them out until they are about 18" and then transplant them into a hot mix of topsoil, sand, and steer manure. The taste is second to none, and the yield is huge. I recognize that there is a bias against using steer manure, but the fact is that steer manure is used as a fertilizer/amendment for just about every other crop. They use it because it's cheap and it works. What I was really looking for was something that resembled a scientific reason as to why it made a poor amendment for cannabis. What I've gotten so far is that 1)it has a high salt content, and 2) the animals are treated poorly. What NO ONE has been able to answer for me is how any of that actually negatively impacts cannabis plants, when it doesn't seem to be a problem for pretty much any other crop that I've ever heard of or grown. I'm sure there are better amendments, I'm not arguing that point at all. I'm just looking for someone to give me a scientific explanation of how it negatively affects the plant, not some B.S. about how it's inferior because it has bad karma attached to it or some equally ridiculous explanation.

2. Why would it affect cannabis plants differently than any other plant?

Yes, there are better amendments and manures if you are lucky enough to source them locally. I have also been using it for years, ever since sheep manure got removed in Fl. Worked just fine. Still does, along with the blood and bone meal I also use.

All I've ever seen is bias and the bad karma deal, but little science.

It doesn't, at least not any other flowering annual.

Wet