Officials: NYPD to issue summonses for 25 grams of pot or less

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by garrison68, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Officials: NYPD to issue summonses for 25 grams of pot or less
    November 10, 2014
    Newsday
    \nIn a significant law enforcement policy shift, NYPD officers will now have discretion to issue summonses instead of arresting people found with 25 grams or less of marijuana -- about enough to fill a plastic sandwich bag, officials said Monday.
    The policy, articulated at a news conference given by Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner William Bratton, essentially gives officers leeway to issue tickets for noncriminal violations for what is still a misdemeanor offense under state law. The move is aimed at freeing up cops from processing some low-level arrests and unburdening young people, mostly blacks and Hispanics according to de Blasio, from the stigma of an arrest and spending time in a jail cell.
    "This new policy will reduce unnecessary arrests for minor marijuana possession and put an end to an era where many young New Yorkers were being arrested and saddled with criminal records for minor violations," said de Blasio in a prepared statement.
    Cops can still make arrests under certain conditions, such as when pot is smoked in public or if a person has an outstanding warrant or no identification, Bratton said. The guidelines take effect on Nov. 19 and subject offenders to fines, he added.
    So far this year there have been 24,081 arrests for marijuana misdemeanor possession, down 3 percent from the same period last year. Marijuana arrests have been declining since 2012, although police had no specific numbers.
    Summonses require a court appearance and failing to appear could mean an arrest warrant is issued.
    To illustrate how much pot would be subject to a summons, Bratton held up a sandwich bag filled with 25 grams of oregano.
    However, Chief of Department James O'Neill said even if cops find the sample weighs more than 25 grams they may be reluctant to raise the offense level to save police resources.
    Bratton said the policy shift had been discussed with all five of the city's district attorneys and the state court system. Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said cops already have discretion to decide what charge to bring.
    But in a statement, Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said the new policy was potentially problematic for rank and file cops.
    "As City Hall continues to surrender and change the policies of the NYPD, our members need clear and precise rules regarding enforcement priorities," Lynch said in a statement. "We do not want police officers left holding the bag if crime rises because of poor policy."
    Some elected officials supported the change, saying it would help repair frayed relations between minorities and police. The Rev. Al Sharpton applauded the policy shift.
    Bratton and de Blasio both said they believe marijuana should remain illegal.
    "Obey the law, then you won't have to deal with us at all," said Bratton.
    \nhttp://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/nyc-plans-to-reduce-marijuana-arrests-by-issuing-tickets-instead-according-to-reports-1.9603348
    \n

2. Ok, lets say you have a state issued ID which is on record with the police. You mis-placed it, but you still know your state ID number by heart. You give the info to the officer and it all checks out, but because you had no ID on you, you can be arrested? That's not right.

I will only obey laws that make sense. Bratton's statement is tyranical

3. #3 garrison68, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
    Not sure I know what you're talking about, "state issued ID which is on record with the police".  I know of no state-issued ID card that is on record with the NYPD for the citizens, or of any law mandating it.  Most people carry some kind of ID, such as a drivers licence.  I could not imagine gong outside without at least a credit card and my health insurance card, and I usually bring a State ID card, similar to a driver's license.

4. In California, you can tell any police officer your state issued ID # and they can bring it up on a computer screen right there in the patrol unit. Pics and all......

5. Oh, I don't think that we have that here.  

6. So they cuff a person for not having ID. Sad.........

7. I would think that most of those arressted were usually found to be doing something illegal,  in addition to not having ID.  

Until it is totally legalized for recreational use, there's going to be street dealers and whether they're arrested or ticketed, it's a problem for the neighborhoods where they hang out in the streets. 

8. I think NYC in there efforts to continue on with the gentrification will continue to hassle the minorities.

9. I agree with you that this happens, but I don't really think that the majority of minority people want dealing in the streets of their neighborhoods.  Legalization would end this, of course, in this case the simplest solution is the right one.  

10. Every state and county can look you up by drivers license/permit/ID/SSN. I've been stopped many times; most of the time I didn't even have my license on me. I'd just give them the number, address, DOB, height and weight. Within 5 minutes they'd let me be on my way.

11. New world order

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

12. Seriously? You are the product of psychological warfare my friend. All those chemicals in your food and water have gotten to you.

13. Im suprised that a city which implented such bs as stop and frisk would actually decrim.