How Gaming Ruined my life

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by FallenSoldier33333, Nov 10, 2014.

1. I feel you on that
    Video games have the potential to bring joy to your life and a new skillset. Of course too much of anything is bad, hey u could have gotten absorbed in reality TV that would have really ruined ur life lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ball hard cause when I die I can't take this cash with me

3. The real culprit of this blame is Time management. I, too blame video game obsession for my lack of involvement with the world...but it is 2015 now and computers...are kind of hard not to notice.... Addiction is a topic all on its own. Passing the blame on a mechanism of avoidance is not only common but Norml as well :D

4. I had a hardcore addiction to fallout 3 for about 3 months. My dad actually made me hook my xbox to the tv in our garage so it would kinda feel like i'm outside. I would wake up and go straight to the garage almost everyday. Id eat breakfast and lunch in my garage. Didn't have many friends over that summer. But once school started back up i just about stopped cold turkey because of sports.

Then when Fallout New Vegas came out i played that for about 24 hours straight, the loading screens felt like they were getting a lot longer as i played.

Never had any problem with video games other than that.

Cant wait for fallout 4

• Like Like x 4
  5. Gl

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. ERMERGAWD FALLOUT 4!!!!1!!11

7. It is all what you make it.[​IMG]

8. #28 phildd0t, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
    Video games didn't ruin your life, your parents let you stop living. "hiding the power plug." You know what would have prevented you from going on it? Throwing the thing in the fucking trash. Don't beat yourself up over this, you'll recover, you'll start living. But don't avoid the real issue, your parents let you down. Kids can't raise themselves, that's why humans don't just sprout up from the ground, they're born through conception of two other humans.

You have further issues that you're not addressing. If you wanted to escape to video games that badly, sounds like home wasn't a very happy place, whether you want to remember it that way or not. If your parents solution to you doing nothing but playing video games was to take the power cord away, they clearly stopped parenting. You need to get some therapy and talk to someone about the root issues, and video games aren't it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Its all about balance man. You can game and do plenty of other shit, like get a solid career, wife, etc. Lots of people do it, and smoke haha. Trust me. Just dont let anything control you. You control it brah

10. I kinda feel the same way. I started playing Runescape when I was about 9. It took over my life. I would stay on it for 5-6 hours a day. I was on it obsessively all throughout middle school and most of highschool.

By the time I became interested in females and other shit, I had no type of social skills. I'm 21 today and still feel as if Runescape took away my social ligr

11. Fallout 4?

12. Usually a home isn't a very happy place PRECISELY because of parents who are quick to throw away their children stuff into the trash. Parents who are bent on scaring their child straight. That's how you actually stop living.

I would personally take parents who do nothing at all other than provide food and shelter over parents who have judgemental power-tripping bullshit in their minds any day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sure you can just throw out extremes like that, but OP would have benefited most from active parents and parenting, but mostly unplugging, whether forced to or not. Want to play video games? Well now you have to make friends and play their house. Gee what a fucking concept, something I did almost every day as a child. We all went to each others' houses in groups and played video games together.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes they are worse

They build zero skills that can be used in the real world and your physical condition deteriorates as you play them. they are ok for maybe 20-30 minutes of BS'ing around to relax, but after that it's just a bunch of wasted time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. #35 reggie_watts, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
    I disagree on two counts.

1) The "zero skills" argument. That's incorrect. Gaming is one of the most cognitively-complex activities that humans have ever invented and engaged in. There is now a growing body of scientific evidence that gaming enhances cognitive abilities such as processing speed, reaction time, and even reaction accuracy (with no speed-accuracy tradeoff).

2) The "wasted time" argument. I object to this on philosophical grounds. Who are you to say what is "time wasted" vs. "time well spent"? If someone derives great pleasure and satisfaction from gaming, how could they possibly spend their time any better? You talk about the "real world" as if it is something that exists independently of gaming as a human activity. All human activity is a part of the real world whether you recognize it or not. Any judgment you might have about what is a better or worse usage of one's time is simply a subjective value judgment on your part with no objective support.

• Like Like x 5
  16. #36 JewishVolcano, Jul 4, 2015
    It's not about extremes. To me 'active parenting' is nothing but parents imposing their 'right and wrong' beliefs and universal attitudes on their children. Can be hard or soft but it's never an actual attendance to child's healthy needs. Same with games, same with weed, same with religion, ethics etc etc. They call it 'tough love' but to me it's anything but love, feels more like hate with a good excuse.

We don't know for sure whether OP would have actually benefitted from unplugging. We know he NOW THINKS he would have but it's more like a drunk the morning after saying 'I will never drink again'. He played, it was good but then gaming itself probably lost an aura and/or consequences caught up with him and now he's upset he hasn't achieved much socially due to gaming. He's a drama queen too, 'ruined my life'.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sounds like you didn't have loving and caring parents, sounds like you had dictators, since that's all you keep going on about. Sorry but disciplining your kids and teaching them right for wrong is exactly what parents are supposed to do, you may disagree with that, but the entire history of humans disagrees with you.

No one benefits from playing more than an hour of video games a day. Even that, a DAY, is too much. Video games are not healthy, especially the ones kids play now.

Pretty sure the only drama queen here is you, casting the entirety of how society has formed and flourished for thousands of years with the family unit as an imposition.

18. Weird how you say my parents were dictators and then proceed to outline your own dictatorial agenda in dealing with children. My parents were harsher than average but not too far from the norm.

The entire history of humans is bigger than history of punishment conditioning. I have no problem if 'entire history of humans' disagrees with me. Love and care is the exact opposite of doing 'what you're supposed to do' and 'disciplining your kids'.

Anyway there's no point going about this any further. You have your way and I have mine.

19. #39 hurpdaflerp, Jul 4, 2015
    muh fuckuhs die playin video games

http://www.ranker.com/list/8-people-who-died-playing-video-games/autumn-spragg?utm_expid=16418821-121.b9XLps9tQ46lDkmnFkWsBA.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fr.search.yahoo.com%2F_ylt%3DA0LEV1RjAphVpJMAI4BXNyoA%3B_ylu%3DX3oDMTEycmplbThnBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAxMjJfMQRzZWMDc3I-%2FRV%3D2%2FRE%3D1436054244%2FRO%3D10%2FRU%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.ranker.com%252flist%252f8-people-who-died-playing-video-games%252fautumn-spragg%2FRK%3D0%2FRS%3DXaM5g04oMwnNXsWwmCV3qXJMKK8-

\n

20. you are probly anti book then too.

Reading Harry Potter benefits no one

-yuri

• Like Like x 4