Whats the point of smoking cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Messiah Decoy, Nov 8, 2014.

1. It's not fear mongering.

How many people wish they quit smoking when they get that fateful lung cancer diagnosis?

According to the CDC smoking increases your chances of lung cancer by 15 to 30 times.

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/risk_factors.htm

But I'm sure that is bullshit because millions of people didn't participate in the study.  :confused_2:

2. For me it's a hand to mouth thing, I like exhaling a cloud of smoke, boredom relief sitting on the porch smoking a cig. 9 times out of 10 I don't inhale into my lungs just my throat though. So it's primarily a psychological thing.

Ahh, how those Truth commercials got to you.. it's kind of like "no shit smoking can be linked to lung cancer.. cause smoke is going into your lungs". They say that 90% of lung cancers are linked to smoking, but you can link them to pollution as well. There is only one type of lung cancer that is more than likely caused by smoking.. and they only account for 10-15% of lung cancer. Meaning that if a smoker got a lung cancer that isn't directly linked to smoking, they very well may have gotten it if they didn't smoke. Unlike the CDC and their time machine to tell us that you'll gain years back of your life, I'm not going to be able to tell the future.. but if you get a lung cancer that isn't directly caused by smoking (you know, the 10-15% of lung cancers) there's a very high probability that you'd have gotten it either way.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/guide/lung-cancer-types

You're taking "no shit" statements and putting your fear into them. I could say that swimming increases your risk of drowning.. no shit. Driving increases your risk of getting into an accident.. no shit. Eating food increases your chances of choking.. no shit. Smoking increases your risk of getting lung cancer.. no shit.

Murphy's Law doesn't actually apply to anything in reality, not even cigarettes. You're going about it like it does.. If you recently quit and NEED to look at cigarettes like they're the devil, good for you.. but don't try to monger your fears unto others by saying they mean an early grave and years off your life.

4. Cigs lead to an early grave and take years off your life.  That's not the worst part though, trying to breath with chronic lung disease as you slowly suffocate to death is a bitch.  Speaking of quitting, almost everyone quits sooner or later.  Many wait until they start having difficulty breathing to stop and by that time it's too late to get your lungs back.  It's amazing how little you miss that fleeting euphoria smoking gives you when you're struggling to breath.

Let's do some math on their "In the United States, cigarette smoking is linked to about 90% of lung cancers."

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcancer-smallcell/overviewguide/lung-cancer-small-cell-overview-key-statistics
    That's estimated for 2014. 15% of that is 33,632. That means that about 33,000 people diagnosed with lung cancer will have a lung cancer that is directly caused by smoking. All the other cases may have been caused by smoking, they might not have been.. but they're cancers that can come about in nonsmokers. This is for cancer caused only by smoking..

There are about 42 million smokers in the US. 33,632 is 12% of 42 million, meaning that as a smoker.. you have a 12% chance of getting a lung cancer directly caused by smoking. That's not bad odds for how evil cigarettes are supposed to be. They are not good for you.. but they're not evil. Hell, your chances of getting a heart disease as you age are much much greater than this.. like over 50% smoker or not.

Again, cigarettes are not good for you.. I know your subconscious mind is going to try to make you think I am saying they are good because you think they're terrible, but I am not. I am just saying that they are not as bad as they're made out to be.. but in the same sense, when you're addicted to anything and overdo it, it is bad for you. That is another "no shit".

6. Because it feels good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Curiosity, then addiction

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I've been a smoker for over 10 years and as of today I am 1 week and a day tobacco free! It's not easy but I smoke a lot of ganja

9. Stay away from alcohol for a few months. If you drink you WILL relapse.

10. Thanks for the advice

11. Exactly...there is no point, no advantages either. Just a loooong list of disadvantages :) It's not like you get high from it so what's the point, you just get a small nicotine buzz. Don't start on tobacco, just stick to the green. As long as you don't get mentally addicted or dependent, or let it have any control over your life then it's a miracle plant (Obviously medical uses it's fine to be dependent). KEEP TOKING THAT GANJA ;)

12. they "get" nicotine. it is a horrible drug.

13. Funny but I had no intention on stopping at all. I was smoking for 6 years a pack a day. Then I picked up marijuana. I hated the taste of cigarettes after I smoke mj but love the smell. So I found myself smoking half a cig then they half would last longer. I slowly weended myslef off the where inwas like "I really don't want a cigarette today." :picks up bong: lol

14. They do it because they feel "relief" when they light the cigarette-basically justs calms them down

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. There is no point to them.  I know Mantikore is putting a lot of effort in to saying they're not as bad they're made out to be and that's fine.  However I find it pointless as Tobacco causes no high, it just alleviates stress most likely caused from smoking tobacco in the first place, it IS bad for your lungs, sure it might only cause 12% of people to get lung cancer but even that is high imo over 1 in 10 chance and even if you don't get lung cancer you're gonna be panting for breath when you do physical exercise and will generally be less physically fit.  it stains your fingers and teeth, it tastes like death, it often causes death.  So tbh I don't really care if there is a bit of fear mongering against tobacco as there is no good reason to smoke it anyway as displayed by replies in this thread and pretty much every smoker I've ever met.  

Having said that if people want to smoke I think they have a right to, but most smokers just tell me they want to quit but can't and that's why they smoke and being dependant on any substance is not good imo, makes you feel out of control of yourself, I take 2 days a week off of weed just to maintain that control because I've been there before it makes you feel weak.

16. It's not that I'm trying to make them look better than they are.. its just this thread wasn't meant to discuss cigarettes, it was meant to talk shit on cigarettes. It's the same thing when someone is like "let's talk about God.. religion is dumb and God isn't real. Thoughts?" Or "let's talk about the president.. He is a fucking idiot and ruining this country.. thoughts?" We all know cigarettes are a shitty addiction to have.. there is enough shit talking going on in this thread as it is. I made a post, neither good or bad, about what it does to a nervous system and the OP fires back with 'they kill millions'. That just screams biased.. no shit they kill us, but the reason the numbers are so high is because there are so many of us. Dirty water kills almost the same amount of people yearly.. nature knocks us off in droves, we kill each other over stupid shit and our numbers are still going up. Anything that kills us off is going to seem bad because there are so many of us to kill.

Yes, it is bad for your lungs.. but so is living next to a highway or in a city filled with smog. If you get lung cancer from smoking, there is a good chance that you'd get lung cancer from living in smog if you weren't a smoker. In fact, a non smoking woman pretty much has the same amount of risk of getting lung cancer as a smoker does. A female smoker will have an even higher risk.

We all know what they can bring about, its not like its printed on the side of the pack.. oh wait, it is.. I could list you even more negatives than were mentioned in this thread. Like how it reduces your oxygen levels and leeches nutrients from your body.. Or how it can lead to depression, but everything in life has its pros and cons.. and as few as there are, there are pros to smoking. Such as reducing your risk of having a fatal heart attack. Smokers have a greatly reduced risk of dying from a heart attack. Smoking might increase your risk of having a heart attack, but the stress you put on your heart does add strength to it, which reduces your risk of dying from a heart attack. There is a Goldilocks zone for stress, too lil is bad and too much is bad.. It's rare for a long term smoker to get Parkinson's disease too, extremely rare. There are also the mental benefits and they are always looking at the relationship of tobacco and schizophrenia for possible treatments. You could argue that smokers don't run often, but they've also been shown to have less a of risk of needing knee surgery..

Everything has its pros and cons.. and I can understand needing to look at something as if it were all cons to help you get over it, but its not my fault the OPs bias got in the way of an actual discussion.

17. I didn't say that's what you were doing, I said you were displaying how they aren't as bad as they are made out to be which is most likely true, not disagreeing with anything you've said.  However they are still very bad and while there may be some rare pro's from smoking such as reducing the risk of a fatal heart attack, there is no doubt that the con's heavily outweigh the pro's.  I have no bias for either smoking or not smoking, but objectively it seems like a terrible thing to get in to for a whole plethora of reasons. If this thread was made solely to display the negatives of cigarettes I don't really see the problem with that as like I say objectively it's a negative substance to consume.

Just because there are other things that are bad for your lungs doesn't stop tobacco being bad for your lungs and perhaps city smog is another issue that could be made more aware to the general public.  But yes everything does have it's pro's and con's and we assess the pro's and con's by their value and their numbers and if one does this without bias I believe they will come to the conclusion that tobacco isn't worth their time.  Yes it may not be as bad as it's made out to be, but it's still pretty bad.

18. Are you shaming me for discouraging people from smoking cancer sticks?

lmao!

I also discouraged my mother from smoking when I was a child and she stopped. Do you think I regret that?

Fuck no, my mother is pushing 70. Smoking, no matter what you say, would not have helped her reach that milestone.

So go push your nonsense to someone dumb enough to believe that shit.

Agreed.

You can feel special all you want, but not smoking, no matter what you say, may not have helped her reach that milestone.. Did she have a better chance of getting there without smoking? Sure.. just like she'll have a better chance by eating right, not being addicted to alcohol or other drugs. If it helps you sleep at night dude, then sure, you saved your mama.

The only thing you should be shamed for, being a stoner, is doing the exact same shit anti-weed people do.. and that's focus on and exaggerate the negatives. You've got your unstable emotions all wrapped up in being against cigarettes, because you seem to think that I am trying to get people to smoke. The whole fucking point of asking what the point of something is, is to get an idea of what the point is from different points of view.. you've already put it in your head that there really is no point, when someone who is reasonable and has common sense can see that there can be benefits from a shitty habit. Hence me pointing out your extreme bias in this issue.. your bias already gave it away that you really don't care to hear anything but a negative view point on cigarettes. For fuck sake dude, I tell people who don't smoke to not start.. overall you'll be much better than getting addicted to them, but I am not going to be a fool and make it sound like they're completely evil. Maybe you shouldn't have asked what the point was if you didn't actually want to know? Makes sense right..

Yeah, I probably added years to my "mama's" life by asking her to quit smoking. If you saved your parents from smoking crack or a fast food addiction then you would deserve praise as well.

You think every person who is pro-legalization should blindly advocate the use of anything, no matter how dangerous and addictive. That would discredit the movement to legalize cannabis more than anything else. Prohibitionist consistently accuse legalization as a ploy to legalize all drugs including meth and crack. Those extreme motives hurt cannabis legalization. If you were soooo reasonable you'd understand there a separate cost-benefit analysis for every drug. Which is why I advocate cannabis and have no problem with moderate alcohol use but feel other drugs should stay illegal or be discouraged.

I didn't make this thread to debate whether cigarettes have exaggerated or underrated dangers. Look at the thread title, bro.