Shane Botwins cfl 1st time grow

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by shane botwin2, Nov 6, 2014.

1. #21 shane botwin2, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
    Anddd heres the bigger girl. mmm mm mmm. Im starting to get a little nervous about the size already but im sure with lsting it, i can keep it down a bit. I really dont know what im doing as far as lsting goes though. I know i havent taken any close up shots of it but what im doing is taking safety pins and just opening them and then they are in like a "V" shape so i just stick the sharp end into my fabric pot upside down over the branch. The last 5 are after i lst'd some.

Attached Files:

2. Lookin good man! This last chica is a beast! Are the CFLs the only lights you have? Or d'ya have something bigger for flower?

3. Thanks TJ! Yeah man she's a little monster. Tryin to keep her down so I did a little training. I don't know what it's called but I just took the branch in between my index finger and thumb at the middle of the branch and bent it downwards. Didn't snap them, just bent them down a bit.

I wish I had an hps haha but unfortunately all I have is cfl. But I did get my t-5 fixture today that I ordered off amazon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Its only a 2 footer which is all i wanted and its 8 bulbs. I customized my order and scooped 4 6500k and 4 3100k so i could have a mixed spectrum. So yeah TJ now i have the 4 23w 6500k, 2 55w 2700k, 1 105w 2700k and the t-5 fixture is 194w. Im not sure how much lumens matter but the t-5 alone is 20,000 lumens which puts me at a total of 41,150 lumens and a little over 500 watts.

Here's a couple pictures of the t-5. I havent put the bulbs in it yet as you can see, theyre in the bubble wrap right next to the fixture.

Attached Files:

5. Nice :D I was gonna say she might outgrow them cfls here soon! I did read you saying something about the T5 just forgot. Must be all that dang weedstuff lol. Hope you're doing well, SB :wave:

6. Haha i knoww right?! I would love to get like a 250 or 400w hps. Honestly after the money ive spent on cfl's i should have just bought an hps. I just was confused about venting and stuff. I had no idea how to set up venting and a carbon filter. Im still confused to be honest. If you have a carbon filter in your tent with venting going out of the tent from it, does that mean you dont need the venting going into the ceiling or anything? Couldnt you just have the venting going out of the tent and the carbon filter should take care of the smell?

7. #27 McJaxon, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
    How's a going Shane, your plants look healthy and growing fast man. I bet they will enjoy the new lights you got. As far as the ventilation question you had, from what I've seen on here most people run a separate fan for cool tube lights and the filter, but with the right fan you could definitely pull it off with one. With the filter on the intake of the flower area you can tie into cool tube line to fan at discharge end and have no smell.

My grow journal:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1334153-First-Grow-4X4-Diy-Attic-Tent

8. Whatsup mcjaxon, how you been? Thanks for the kind words my man and good looks on the tip for venting from a cool tube. I really hope they enjoy that new light as well. I wanted to wait about a week or something before introducing my babies to the new light so that when theyre getting to the point where theyve fully transitioned to flower i can bust out all the light for em and theyll be like "daaaamn youu know what i like."

...or something like that.

9. Heres some picture from yesterday on day 39 for these ones. There was a little incident that i was really disappointed to see when i got home from work. My 55w light and reflector fell straight on top of one of the younger ones and burnt the sh%& out of it. So i just topped it and trimmed the burnt stuff off. Decided to just say screw it and do a little experimenting since theyre all just bagseed anyways and its my first time. Thats what its all about anyways right?

This is the poor baby who endured some suffering and pain but im nursing (hopefully) her back to health. This is the one on the right side in all the pictures of the 3 smaller ones.
    IMG_0929.JPG

Oh yeah i just remembered i also did something bad on accident. On my little runt thats in the front of all the group shots (of the 3), i snapped the main stalk(is that called the meristem?)  when i was bending it a little bit to see how far it would go. I swear i was being real easy with it.
    IMG_0946.JPG

Heres the pile of burnt leaves and what not from the light falling.
    IMG_0949.JPG

Attached Files:

10. #30 NEFarmer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
    :lol:

11. And here's some pictures of the older girl lookin nice and happy in her tent. She is 60 days old today so shes on day 59 in these. Ive been tryin to keep her flattened out so the canopy is nice and even with lots of bud sites. Seem to be doing alright with that.

Attached Files:

12. Mind if I pull up a chair in here?
    Everything is looking pretty good man.
    Have you hit the switch to 12/12 yet? Sorry if I missed it.

Your name attracted me in, I fucking love weeds :lol:

13. #33 shane botwin2, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
    Haha hell yeah man THANK YOU! Weeds is one of my all time favorite shows. Been waiting for someone to say something. Glad to have ya man, stay as long as you'd like.
    I just flipped em to 12/12 on the 11th so 3 days ago so you're timing is perfect. Hopefully I'll start seeing some more females here pretty soon!

Actuaaally I don't know i don't think my setup will produce nice buds if I have more than 2 plants.

14. Alright so I'm deciding I want to set my new light up now. I'm trying to decide exactly how I want to set the bulbs up. It's an 8 bulb fixture and I have 4 3100k and 4 6500k bulbs. Wondering what any of you guys might suggest doing.

15. Alternate em man, It doesn't really matter what arrangement

16. Well i set my new light up in my tent. I decided to alternate every other bulb. I was thinking about going that route and then NEF chimed in so i went with it.

I also moved my 3 smaller babies into my tent with my older girl. Im still not quite sure if i want to keep it this way but im slowly convincing myself its the better way to go and then maybe i can take some clones of my bigger girl and start them in my closet where the 3 were. Or just start some more seeds. Still dont know if im going to do this because even if i did take some clones or start some more seeds, i dont have enough lighting i dont think to flower out a couple plants and veg a couple others.

I snapped some pictures right quick of the new setup in the tent. I still need to set the rest of my lights up in there i just have to figure out exactly how and where im going to.

Attached Files:

17. Thanks mcjaxon, yeah it was a bummer but atleast it was just bagseed and it looks to be doing good. Luckily it was only 1 plant that took the hit. Im getting amped knowing ill be seeing buds developing here pretty soon.
    I gotta get something for the smell going. I found this awesome thread through google but its from GC. This guy put together a diy odor control bucket using ona liquid and soil moist polymer. He put them in a bucket and hooked a fan up on the lid blowing into the bucket with a bunch of holes drilled on the side. It's pretty awesome and there was a ton of people who said it worked for them so im going to give it a try.

18. #39 shane botwin2, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2014
    Soo I did some lsting tonight to the older girl. I also switched them around so the big girl is on the left and the younger ones on the right of the tent.
    The older girl is 64 days from being tossed in the soil. She's 7 days into flower.
    The younger ones are 45 days old and also 7 days into flower. I know they definitely need to be transplanted since they've been in these 1 gallons for 30 days.

I decided to hang my t-5 fixture at probably around a 60 degree angle and it's against the back of the tent. Then I have my 105w 2700k directly above my older girl in the 12" reflector and a 23w and 55w in a y splitter in a 12" reflector above the 3 younger ones. I'm going to hang a 55w and 23w in a y splitter on the side of the 3 and then hang a 23w on the side of the bigger girl towards the bottom of the plants if I can find a way or a spot to hang them like that.

I snapped some pictures tonight but I'm going to post them tomorrow because I'm about to pass out so I'm ready for work in the am.
    Always feels good to have a day off until it's over lol..and then workin a week straight every other week blows the big pooper.

19. I will be following this closely, You and I have right about the same in wattage and Lumens on our CFL setups. Mine is set up differently but still close numbers wise. And you are a little ahead of me on the schedule so I will be watching this closely. Good work man.