Your views on deer hunting while stoned?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by SlamDaddy, Nov 5, 2014.

1. What are your views on deer hunting with a rifle while stoned?  It's not something I encourage, but I have done it.  I'm not going to lie...I enjoyed it.  I don't smoke every time I hunt, but when I do smoke, I like it.  I once shot a nice 8 point buck (whitetail deer) while slightly stoned.

Different circumstances for me, perhaps.  I hunt on my own land, which is heavily posted with "NO TRESPASSING" signs.  When I have hunted while stoned, I sit in one place.  I'm not out walking around or hunting with other people.  I'm just curious to know if other hunters do this.  That being said, I know it's still risky and I'll probably be told what an idiot I am for doing this but I don't really care.  If it really bothers you, then stay away from northwestern MN because that's where I'll be hunting. :)

2. If you are on your own land.  You get to make the rules.

3. Or you should be able to, at least.

Considering how many people pound beers in tree stands, I'm not too worried about whether somebody is slightly stoned while hunting. Especially if on your private property. Just be very cautious with your firearm, as you should be sober as well. Can't say I've hunted stoned, personally. Definitely fished while stoned a lot though :smoke:

4. sounds like a good time, as long as youre following all the guidelines and what not. i dont see much of difference from that and being on a boat fishing drinking brews and smoking

5. If you take the deer and have it inspected and butchered for venison on your dinner table, then by all means enjoy your hunting! You are not an idiot at all.
      Only if you hunt for sport and kill like 10 deers in 1 day and just leave them for the maggots, then there is a problem.

6. Do people actually do that? 

7. IDK I am not a hunter. It's pure speculation.

8. Even if you're in a secluded area, I'm personally don't feel fine at all with any of us ever using a weapon while under any type of impairing drug. 

We, appropriate gun holders, don't snap back a couple of brewskies when going to the range, so what's different about getting stoned on mary jane?

9. Minnesota has some great hunting spots as well as areas of the Dakotas. 

10. No they don't at least none that I have ever heard of. I mean you get TONS of meat by the end of the season but we give it away to friends and stuff.

11. I deer and turkey hunt on a state owned wildlife management area high as heck all the time and have run into a few game wardens, they never suspected a thing. lol..they are more interested in making sure that I am hunting with the proper permits. I have never had a problem..seems that I am more in tune with the woods and my surroundings when im high, plus I can shoot better stoned than sober, just like driveing

12. I don't think you should hunt while stoned. Stay straight and enjoy it for what it is.

I agree that a person shouldn't hunt while severely impaired, whether it's drinking or smoking.  I should clarify:  the hunting I do is sitting in an enclosed deer stand.  My OP stated "slightly stoned", which for me is a couple of puffs.

I guess it didn't matter.  I only got "slightly stoned" the first 2 days I hunted.  I hunted a total of 6 days and didn't see a deer.  This is the first time I've never seen a deer the entire season.  I did see coyote tracks and even got to hear them yipping at sunset a couple of times.  I definitely would've taken a shot at a 'yote if I'd seen one.

Next week I head to Colorado for more deer hunting.  Gotta get some venison in the freezer!  This will be a spot and stalk hunt, so no getting high on this hunt.

occasionally stories will make the news of hunters in my state taking a deer just for the head to mount and sell.

shit like that really bothers me. i think two hunters were caught this year.

15. The only reason I'd have a problem with it is if you were impaired to the point you couldn't put a good shot on the deer. My number 1 rule is if you're going to kill something you better do everything in your power to do it as quickly and humanly as possible. I don't think you'll get stoned and mistake a person for a deer but I can only speak for me and there are plenty of dumb assholes out there.

I don't really like gun hunting anyway but that's a different topic

16. I mean if I see a 12 point buck I'm going to shoot it whether I need the meat or not. A trophy is a trophy you may as well take it or someone else will

17. My views on hunting in general is that it's a shitty thing to do.  You just shot bambi's mum man, now you got poor baby deer starving all night waiting for their mum to return and she never does and now they will probably die a painful death as a result.  But hey if that's what you're in to.

18. So you'd rather be the one killing for fun instead of the other guy right?

19. Yes unfortunately they do. Just take a drive on some of the logging roads in the coast range of Oregon there are carcasses everywhere. Some harvested, most not.

20. Wow, that's terrible :( and crazy, really.

I've run across some kids (and overgrown kids) who would shoot squirrels or birds or cats just for shits and giggles, which I always found gross. I'd never heard of anyone doing that with deer though. Such a waste.