How Much Do You Tip?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by quadridincopedipper, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Wages are high here so tipping isn't really done that much.
    If I'm in a table service restaurant and service was good, I'll usually leave a 5 euros note.
    I usually hand my hairdresser a €5 note too, it's not rude if I don't.. but she always does a good job. 

2. My sister was a waitress for 10 years so i know the struggle. they really don't make shit on their paychecks. It's stupid that restaurants don't pay better but it's not your server's fault they live off tips.

I tip 20% for prompt, efficient service. I will give 0% for terrible service but I won't dock them for a kitchen problem (slow food, under/over cooked, etc...)

I'll leave 25-30% if I'm in a good mood

also, they're not your slave so be respectful!

3. We've had people tip our cooks for making a bangin' steak. I've been tipped for making delicious biscuits. But seriously, tip if you go out to eat. You can afford the extra cash it takes to eat the same food but at a restaurant so you should have enough to show your appreciation to the restaurants employees.

4. Always tip well. If you don't tip and the service wasn't horrible, you're a piece of shit person.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I almost always do 20%. I dont tip at dunkin donuts i dont care how cute the girl is i tip usually 8 on a 12 dollar haircut mainly because i only get it cut 2x a year lol.
    Little known fact. in MA and NH if a servers tips dont bring them up to minimum wage their employer must pay the difference. Still tip though its the right thing to do.

6. Usually triple the tax. Sometimes i add a dollar to that if they were great and take a dollar or two if they sucked.

7. If my bartender remembers my drinks, waters, napkins, and appetizers and is pleasant, they might see a 20 tip.
    Usually they're rude and forgetful, 5 bucks at most.

8. Depends on the service really. I've been known to tip as little as 10 cents, or as much as $10. Really just depends on the circumstances. Most of the time, I only have enough money for the actual meal or whatever and a small tip. $20 on tips is ridiculous; I could live off $20 for a whole week or longer, no way I'd ever give that much.

9. #29 MilkyLumpkinz, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    it depends on how broke I am at the time lol if I'm not so broke I give an average of $5
    If I'm pretty broke or they sucked, I usually give um $3 an if I'm feeling super generous I'll give
    them $6, but if I'm feeling generous AND they were awesome at what they do then $7 or $8
    lol haha so many details to get into XD but its usually just the $5 like 70% of the time lol
    fuck percents :laughing:

You don't tip for good service, you tip so you don't get bad service. I have lots of friends in the service idustry, and they remember bad tippers as well as the good tippers. When they know they're not going to get a tip anyway, they're not even going to try. Why put in extra effort for naught?

Well you might say that you get shitty on your first time somewhere? Well there's another thing that people in the service industry know how to pick up on: body language. A good server can tell within 5 minutes what kind of tip to expect from you. You call them entitled assholes? Well they think the same thing about you. Why on earth would they spend time trying to appease you when there's other customers who deserve the attention more? Don't forget a restaurant is a private business and isn't obligated to do anything more than you paid for.

And your gripe about putting the 15% on the bottom is absurd. People are lazy and don't want to do the math themselves, so it's handy for them to go with the number at the bottom. Don't like it? Ignore it.

11. #32 AS420, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    Servers are hired to provide excellent customer service at all times. That's kind of the point right? Regardless if "they're picking up on my body language". Thats the problem. Servers should put in 100 percent all the time. Why? Because that's their job. I guarantee a server who puts in the effort all the time is gonna walk away with more tips than the tool who is trying to read peoples body language for a good tip. Why the hell should anyone tip well for shitty service? When I sit down at a nice restaurant, I'm already paying good money, so I expect my service to be top notch. The service industry, especially food service, is all about attitude and how personable you can be with the customers. Too many times I've had some shitty ass server who was only there to collect his/her tip at the end. But honestly, if they cared that much about it you'd think you'd see more effort on their part.

I've had really good service numerous times, and that always receives a good tip. Not because our culture deems that appropriate, but because I noticed that this person actually gave a damn. After all, it's me paying for the service and atmosphere, and the food. These servers "reading peoples body language" is a fucking joke. Apparently these people are more perceptive than I thought. With all the shitty effort I see at this restaurant and that restaurant, I wonder if it would be best to stop all that shit and just do their fucking job right, regardless if they're getting good tips or not. These people make an hourly wage, and sure it may not be the best but that's just more incentive to go the extra mile to get those good tips. It's that simple.

And my gripe about how restaurants add at the bottom how much the tip is isnt absurd. It's these restaurants trying to squeeze as much money as they can. I've been noticing the ever increasing popular digital way to pay your bill. With the first option being a 20 percent tip,Im willing to bet tipping has increased with these new features.

But you're right, people are lazy.. just like those lazy ass servers who think they are entitled to a good tip.

12. I always tip alot...not that i make alot of money or anything...just makes me feel like a good person or something...when in reality im probably not lol

13. zero if you give me a reason

14. $5 most times.. a little lower for bad service. I don't get paid anything so all i have to rely on are tips. So my service is really well. I am a bartender. I would always give a tip though... I know how some places pay their employees like shit.

15. #36 Peace Tea, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    If the servers are being shitty then by all means stiff them.

Just realize that hourly wage is 2 dollars and even if you work full time, most of that check is gone by tax. Im a server and the most I've seen my check is twenty bucks and that was with overtime.

But you're right, a job is a job and even if you're not happy being a server, at least fake it. I'm surrounded by waitresses who always shit talk in the back and feel entitled to a tip while I try to give it my all because I really need this job at this second.

16. #1 As much as $10, where are you eating that that's a significant amount? McDonald's?
    #2 Idk where youre from but idk anyone that isn't 12 years old that can live off $20 in a week.
    #3 I understand that shitty service demands a shitty tip, but if a server gives u great service and u stiff them, they literally are PAYING for you to be cheap. What most consumers dont know, is that what you tip doesn't just go to your server, there's hosts, bussers, and bartenders all getting tipped out on a percentage of each servers sales, *regardless of their tips*. So a general rule of thumb, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Its fucked up to make someone pay for your frugality.

17. #38 Orthanc, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015

Lol get over yourself with your attitude towards me in this post. Who are you again? Talking to me with a know-it-all smug attitude and talking down to me. I don't need you to tell me anything about life, thank you dearie, you don't know me.

When I was a drunk, I would seriously eat on $20 a week most of the time, eating just enough to get by. I could go into Winco and get quite a bit of stuff for $20 actually.

$10 is a great tip if the check is only $20-$30 something dollars. Don't know what you're talking about. McDonalds, how dare you insult me with that garbage. I do not eat fast food actually, and haven't for years; that stuff is disgusting.

I actually never stiff them if the service is good. Calm down. I said most of the time about only having money for meal and a small tip, I was actually moreso referring to pizza delivery stuff, which I haven't done in years anyways. Remember, we're on a pot forum...thus people are gonna be high while posting and maybe forget to add in details. Jeez.....

Don't need your little lecture there at the end. Again, who are you again?....I've already got a girlfriend who talks down to me sometimes, and she's 30 years old. Ha. People like you...think you've gotta go into threads and post these serious posts acting like you're a journalist or something. Like all the sudden we're analyzing my life and eating out habits and I don't understand why. A regular post in the thread has gotta turn into analyzing my life and acting like you know me or something. I'll eat out if I want thank you. Take that "general rule of thumb" (who you think you are, God? You can just make rules?)..stick it sideways and *beep*......

I just don't get why a month after me making that post, someone would waste the time to act like she's really teaching me something to make the post you did. Instead of just making your own post about the subject, you feel it's neccesary to take time to act like you know me and lecture me, and really irritate me. Screw you. Always gotta be somebody like you to argue over dumb bullshit about. Oh, you're from New York....that explains a lot...

Don't respond cause I'm not even gonna check what you say anyways.

18. When I was poor I would usuley leave one or two dollars. If they did great or were a nice person or something it would go up to five
    I didn't go with a percentage system
    Now that I'm doing good usuley 20-25% if the waiter doesn't give me a reason to give less. I gave a guy a dollar at a $50 meal last week. He was a little bitch snob
    I usuley leave the hotel maid $5 or $10. Depending how bad the kids destroyed the room

19. It's all relative. $10 is a shitty tip on a $200 meal, but when it's just you eating and your bill is $25-$30 that's over 33%.
    Extremely generous.