Gnats

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SimonSaySmk, Nov 1, 2014.

1. I am starting to see gnats in my grow box... How can I get rid of these F*~*s?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. What type of gnats?

3. http://www.summitchemical.com/mosquito/mosquito-dunks/ Mosquito dunks and bits can be found at most garden centers or Home Depot/Lowes..
    Based on the BT bacterium it's low toxicity and effective.. Combined with a couple of yellow sticky traps for the adults it should knock out your fungal gnats in short order

4. Buy some yellow sticky pads are your local Hydro shop or Home Depot, Lowe's, etc for around $10. Stick one on the base of each pot and one a couple of inches above the soil in each pot (I use a chopstick to hold it up). Its chemical free and most gnats will be stuck to the yellow strips within a couple days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Get some yellow sticky pads and a bottle of neem oil, no more pests

Sent from my Spaceship using the GrassCity App.

6. Diatomaceous earth worked wonders for me (mine was bad cause I saw small buggers crawling) this stuff dries them out and makes them regret they were born lol

7. Thanks everyone I think in going to try the neem oil

8. NEEM!! Dilute it and soak the entire plant especially the undersides of every leaf. Soak down the soil as well. It will take a few days even a week so don't get discouraged. It is not a contact killer so they have to ingest it before it destroys them.

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

9. Neem for gnats? Why spray something on the leaves that attacks the soil?

10. Get the sticky pads too to take care of the adults. They will lay eggs and your problem will start over. Neem might have some effect on the larvae in the soil, but the adults will just keep flying around.

11. Well I just picked up some neem oil.. I was looking for sticky pads at the store but couldn't find anything other then the fly traps that hang from the ceiling. Anyone have a pick of these sticky pads???
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414959139.257735.jpg

12. I crushed some garlic cloves and sat em on top of the soil, Gnats moved out within days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 travel2much, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    Gnat larvae live in the soil. You only see the adults flying around and they don't live under your leaves. Put down a thick layer of Diatomaceous Earth on top of your soil and a good soil drench with Azamax will do it followed by letting your pots get real dry. The yellow sticky pads are on eBay for like 7 bucks. Gnats are attracted to the color so the hanging yellow fly trap rolls work as well.

14. #14 DazedAndStoned, Nov 2, 2014
    Do some research, you can put neem into soil. I have been doing it for years without any gnat problems in my greenhouse, in fact, I had a few in my weed plants before I started spraying them and they have all been gone for about 3 weeks now
    Once they eat some neem, they will not be able to fly, or reproduce.

15. Do your research....neem is the chief ingredient in Azamax. Akamai hold in the soil better than need and will dry quicker.

16. #16 DazedAndStoned, Nov 2, 2014
    Again, not true, please do research first before giving advice. Neem directly affects their ability to lay eggs, eat, fly and reproduce. It has hormones that mimic the pests, and block them from getting the real hormones and no longer can do anything.

I agree though, yellow sticky pads will help you notice if it has been working, but sticky pads won't solve your problem. Or prevent it from ever happening again

17. NEEM is in azamax...same active ingredients....I'm not disputing you

18. #18 DazedAndStoned, Nov 2, 2014
    Not disputing you at all, I'm sure that works better for soil. Neem does dry quick that's why you try to spray right before lights out :)

Edit: didn't even see your post before i posted :p

19. He's disputing me for recommending something that has no possibility of destroying someone's plant.

20. I had a fungis gnat problem and azomax cleared it up in a week after 2 applications