pitting homeless people against each other for money

Discussion in 'General' started by chief1995, Nov 1, 2014.

1. #41 lFourTwenty, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014

That's so dangerous and stupid what that guy did..if he were to go up to 5 different homeless people and show them that cash in a paper bag, I guarantee that 3 out of 5 of them would snatch the bag and run every time, might even stab him if he's stupid enough to follow them in an alley like he did in that video.

Add in the obvious mental issues, possible schizophrenia - what a dumbass is all I can say about that guy.

2. ehhh didn't watch the vid but if its two consenting adults who agree to arm wrestle each other for some money, then I see no problems, no way near as vile/entertaining as bum fights

3. Interesting.

4. Lol, are you guys seriously fighting over some bums getting money for arm wrestling? I did that shit for no money all trough my childhood.

5. #45 Sluht, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    [ quote name="Twee" post=]"20861406" timestamp="1414871006"]It's demeaning, taking advantage of people living below the poverty line for entertainment purposes.

Also, the uploader will have earned $15,725 to $31,450 in ad revenue due to monetization. 

It's wrong on so many levels. [/quote]1. your estimates are 1000% percent off. Are you also not aware of ad blocker and how many pc's it's installed on?
    2. At least they are giving something.
    3. How is giving them money for doing something like arm wrestling demeaning.
    4. Would you turn down the offer to make a quick 100$? Just because there homeless it's different?
    5. And yes it was entertaining because he was doing something nice for people less fortunate.
    6. Even if he was doing this for personal gains it doesn't change the fact he still helped them, he did not make them do anything like eat garbage,fight,have them make fools of themselves,do anything dangerous (which considering there homeless they probably would have done any of the things I listed.)
    Again how was this demeaning?

It's all just one big conspiracy

6. #46 *ColtClassic*, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    If I offered two people the chance to arm wrestle for $1 of my money would I be doing something unethical?

If I offered two people the chance to arm wrestle for $100 of my money would I be doing something unethical?

If I made them that offer under the condition that I could film it, would I be doing something unethical?

If I made them that offer under the condition that I could film it and upload it to youtube, would I be doing something unethical?

If I made them that offer under those conditions and they happen to be homeless, would I be doing something unethical?

Op, I don't see how this is exploitation. They are doing something which is not damaging to their bodies or humiliating. They are obtaining physical currency, legal tender, for providing a service for a captive audience. They are voluntarily engaging in a competition for a cash prize. I don't think the fact that they are homeless really makes this exploitative whatsoever.

I tried to break down the reasoning here for you so that you can tell me at what point this transaction crosses the line ethically.

To me, it looks like everyone wins and only engaged in this transaction in the first place because they had something to gain.

7. #47 chief1995, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
           They are using homeless people for personal gains, sure they helped the homeless which is awesome ....but did they have to film it to make cash off it? no. I mean it just goes around for a lot humanity being shitty and having/ wanting to gain something in return for a service. Do you think any ordinary person goes and does voluntary service for his/her own good? no, he/she goes to make it look good for college admissions, because its required to graduate high school, or they landed in shit with the law and are ordered to do it or face prison time. Its called being humble and sadly most people don't live that life. If your going to help people, don't try to get popular over it.