Literature/books, how many blades are well read?

Discussion in 'General' started by Annicus, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Books, poems, thesis', etc. I love to read, I read just about everything I get my hands on. I was curious to see to what are some of your favorite books?

I like to talk themes, writing style, and other nerdy things. This is the thread to discuss, debate, rate, hate, obsess over, interpret written word.

2. Just picked up a book yesterday at Barnes: "What A Plant Knows" by Daniel Chamovitz.
    Really great read, would give 5/5. It's written in a very manageable way for anyone to grasp, even if you're not a science major, and brings in some really interesting perspective to one of our brothers[flora] in the kingdoms.

I usually go for the Biology/Medical sections. 

3. I've been really into entomology, poetry, language and memoirs lately.

One of my favorite books of all time

Candy (Luke Davies) it's intense, he writes so well, I pave read that over and over again, just like Dante Inferno, Utopia, The Prince, Night, and The Red Badge of Courage

4. My two favorite books of all time would have to be The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I'm going to have to get back into reading again.

5. This is my book collection

Books everywhere

If there's a gap between pieces of furniture, there's a stack of books in there

[​IMG]

6. Very nice :D

I haven't read a good book in so long, thinking about hitting up the library sometime next week

7. #7 manontherun, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
    You guys may find this pathetic...

I own a small business that distributes information to companies for training and skills evaluation purposes. Being in this position means I basically spend 90 hours a week reading books by people like Oliver DeMille, ect. Self development books basically.

Now at first I did it as a job, learn the product, then I started to find myself changing in a good way and began to enjoy reading and learning ( never read with out a note pad blades. You will forget often lol)

Any way I read a lot. I thought you guys would find it pathetic as 80% of those books talk about drug use and negitive impacts.

my favorite book of all time would be the richest man in Babylon, I learned so much from that book I was able to get out of serious debt in a few months and start my life over.

Edited for me being fucking stoned and posting identifying information.

8. Why would being very well-read be considered pathetic by any of us?

Reading anything is great; you're already 10 steps ahead of 90% of America.  :hello:

9. Exactly, at least you read, if people think it's geeky or nerdy it's probably because they couldn't get through Goodnight Moon

10. #10 Annicus, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
    I just got done with 127 Hours, I'd give it a 8/10, very descriptive, for not having written anything before he is a decent writer. He has a way of making you feel like you are there with him, great book, I don't know why I didn't read it earlier however I was obsessed with trying to get through and understand The Fountainhead and Wuthering Heights since my wife thinks both are amazing, I still hate Wuthering Heights passionately, and the Fountainhead was almost painful lol, too long and pedestrian.