JerryInDFWs Perpetual Grow - DWC + LED + HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JerryInDFW, Oct 30, 2014.

1. #441 JerryInDFW, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015

8-23-2015

Tried to do this the other day, but fucking Windows 10 wouldn't let me upload a vertically oriented photo, which is 99% of the grow pics I take. [​IMG]

Soooooo... restored my Win 7 disk image and back in bidness.

This is the Ogre Fem by the Joint Doctor. Currently at close to 34", and I'm pretty sure she's about done doing any major stretching. And she is THIRSTY! Of course any plant that big is gonna suck down the water. Anyhow I only topped up the bucket which only had about a gallon left in it with pH'd water with a little Armor Si included. She'll need a fresh bucket on Tuesday. No signs whatsoever of any deficiencies (Knock on wood).

I need to do some defoliation. Once I'm convinced she's concentrating on buds, I'll grab more leaves.

Hey @FesterNewt! remember what you said about filling a tent with one plant? [​IMG]

Here are some random pics. I was trying to show just how expansive she is, but the camera doesn't do it justice.

20150823_130028.jpg 20150823_130043.jpg 20150823_132024.jpg 20150823_132033.jpg 20150823_132056.jpg 20150823_132101.jpg 20150823_132202.jpg 20150823_132339.jpg 20150823_132402.jpg 20150823_132426.jpg 20150823_132518.jpg 20150823_132548.jpg

The new bean for the Alien OG x Triangle cross is still in the rock wool. I can see the head and the crook, and she'll be out tonight, so in DWC on Tuesday - or at least in the tent then.

[​IMG]

2. Holy shit that plant is big! You sure have this dialed man, great job!

3. #443 JerryInDFW, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015

Thanks!

Now that she's about finished stretching I should see some very tasty colas building up. Already getting a bit frosty too.

[​IMG]

4. 8-24-2015

I mentioned this in jest over at that Vault Alien x Triangle comparison grow thread.

It's a good bit, and so much of my life seems like this at times when I overhear conversations.

[​IMG]

5. #445 JerryInDFW, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015

8-24-2015

This seed is part of another incredible sponsored comparison grow of another new strain by The Vault. This si the only place I'm going for any genetics in the future. Best comps anywhere online. Great, unbelievably patient folks! They're here: http://www.cannabis-seeds-store.co.uk/

This is one of the latest. She's a cross of Alien OD x Triangle, and an auto. In the pic she's about half a day old. I had to help a bit getting the seed hull off, and some of the other bits of crud were still on and I had to help loosen that too. She germinated pretty quickly and maybe wasn't quite wet enough in the rock wool. But she looks okay now, and I'll add some aeration to the solo cup and leave her be for a couple of days before I put her in the bucket.

20150824_212950.jpg 20150824_213232.jpg

The Ogre is sucking down an alarming amount of water. Think I'll need to reduce the nutes a bit.

[​IMG]

6. 8-26-2015

So I'm mucking around in the tent trying to figure out how the fuck I'm going to get that Alien OG x Triangle stuffed in there with the Ogre Fem. I was tucking some leaves and in general examining the plant interior for problems since I can't see shit with all the leaves I haven't defoliated yet.

Well she's stopped stretching and I can definitely see improvement with the buds. A bonus is that she have a very citrus-like smell to her already. I can't smell it in the room yet, but it was all over my hands. Remarkable. Absolutely none of that green plant smell whatsoever.

So the AxT is on the periphery of the light. I'll haven't gotten the other tent up yet but should by the weekend to get the AxT in there under HID for a while. I could defoliate that Ogre, but this is kind of a test of a hands-off grow. Only a bit of LST and I do clip the odd leaf that won't stay put. Might put the Ogre in there under MH and the AxT under the LED. See how I feel when it's all set up. The Ogre is really kind of wide and will be pressed in a little sitting in a 2x4 footprint. Fucking decisions. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 8-29-2015

The Ogre Fem is doing its thing. Not as much bud as I expected this far along, but who knows. Can't find a decent grow report. It all mostly looks like popcorn, albeit a LOT of popcorn. Smells divine with the citrus/skunk as advertised. Boner inducing.

Kind of concerned since I read conflicting bits about this strain. Supposedly their grow partners largest producer, yet in the characteristics it says low yield. WTF? At 50 days I'd expect her to be further along, but as she's sativa dominant, I'll cut her some slack for now. But this ain't no 60 day plant from seed. I think it took all of 40-45 days to really settle into flowering, and I bet it'll be sometime in early October before she's ready to harvest. Certainly not nearly as quick as the APDxA. What little nugs there are are very tight and dense so far, and the dank is beautiful. She's on full nutes and still at 20/4. Some random shots:

20150829_132839.jpg 20150829_133101.jpg 20150829_133326.jpg 20150829_133958.jpg

I'm gonna call FAIL on my 1st Alien OG x triangle. She popped up, stretched a bit put out a set of true leaves, and quit. This is the second fail I've had like this. I don't know if it's something I'm doing or the breeder. I thought I had my germinating thing dialed in. I gave her a trace of nutes, but I'm not optimistic. If I don't see anything tomorrow, I'll pop another one. Same technique, since I want to verify it's not me.

[​IMG]

8. 9-2-2015

Ended up tossing that first try at an AxT. It finally put out a second set of leaves, but they were wonky. Had plenty of time, but I just didn't want to fuck with a dud any more. So dropped another one this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

The Ogre is a beast. I've taken a few suckers off, but she's still a slow-growing pheno IMO. And I'm not expecting a great yield quantity wise. I'll need to get something else running. Was hoping for the Thai to arrive, but I think that resend might also be hung up in Chicago. They're getting a bit annoying there.

[​IMG]

9. I think the Auto AxT may be a bit hit and miss with germination/seedlings. I noticed mine was also very slow starting and at 12days was the same size as some on the comparison thread that were only 7days.

I'm gunna let mine ride and see what happens as it seems to be picking up the pace a little the last day or two!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

10. 9-3-2015

So I've been giving it some thought lately. The experiment with just letting an auto run wild and free is starting to get up my nose a bit. Imay have picked the wrong strain of auto to try this on, but there is a ton of vegetation there, and tons of what I consider suckers and things that ought to be removed, IMO. The Ogre is growing slowly, and I have taken about 10 suckers off that were just in the damn way or half broken already. Anyhow, it's filled up my small tent. I may just be impatient, but I'd dearly love to see some more bud. I think what she'll end up with is gonna be tight, and the smell is really excellent.

20150903_124040.jpg 20150903_124104.jpg 20150903_124128.jpg 20150903_124135.jpg

Another thing is the end product. Sure, I get a decent quantity, but the taste and smell has been hit and miss, and less than stellar. I'll have a beautifully dank and sticky plant coming up, but by the time it's finished, harvested and cured, it's potent, but it doesn't even smell like weed in the jars, and tastes like crap half the time. Even with a couple weeks of flushing.

And I see people getting pretty good weights off small plants in gallon pots. I still have a bunch of 1 gallon smartpots and trays, and a lot of coco and perlite left over from the first coco experiment. So I'm thinking of moving the Ogre to the HID tent and running some regular cheese beans in coco for a change in search of some decent dank and taste with the ability to do some light training. About all I'll need to do is launder the used pots and rehang the LED's on ratcheting hangers again.

More I think on it, the more I like it.

[​IMG]

11. 9-9-2015

Seems that the Alien OD x Triangle just flat out doesn't like my method of hydro, and I'm guessing it isn't going to like DWC one fucking bit. I retried another AxT with my formerly bulletproof mini-DWC setup. This time it shot up like 6"+ and a pair of true leaves - and bupkus. Again.

So I staked... er... skewered her upright to give her another day or so to see what's up. I might try putting her in coco/perlite under the T5 in the armoire. If that doesn't take, I'll try popping one in coco/perlite in a smart pot and maybe try for a mini-scrog in that cabinet.

Otherwise not having a good run of luck weed-wise lately. Another shipment apparently intercepted in Chicago. My Ogre Fem is fucking huge. With all due respect to Loki and his techniques, I'm not leaving any plant with no defoliation whatsoever in the future.

This Ogre has so many side branches and suckers that it's not going to be a spectacular harvest unless I'm into leaves. The plant looks lush as fuck, but it's mostly leaves. It's dank and sticky as hell, but the buds are tiny. The reviews said low-yielding, but damn.

I did a lot of leaf removal today. I think it's too late to take the suckers off, but may end up getting some off since there seems to be all the time in the world for this slow growing pheno. I'll dry whatever I clip and process it, but I'd rather have smoke.

[​IMG]

12. Hey jerry if you wanna defoliate in the future or cut suckers off if you do it in that 14 day stretch window. Thats the best time more specificly around day 8-10 of stretch is ment to be best time :) hth.

13. 9-13-2015

So I had that load of loose trim from mostly the APDxA. Never bothered to weigh it out. It's been sitting in plastic tubs in a closet getting nice an dry. I put it in there dry to make sure it wouldn't mildew, and intended to process some of it long ago, but some distraction or other always seemed to take priority. And TBH, making cannabutter was low on the list of things I needed to do.

Well yesterday I decided to screw around and make a bit. Not quite sure how strong this trim is, but I expect it's pretty kick ass. I weighed out 1.5 oz's and barely seemed to make a dent in all that trim. I didn't weigh it, but I'm sure there's at least close to a QP remaining.

Just waiting for it to finish setting up in the stick molds and I have a box of cookie brownies poised to go, and I'll make some pound cake cupcakes while I have all that crap out and the oven hot.

More later.

[​IMG]

14. #454 JerryInDFW, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015

9-20-2015

Had to go out of town for a couple of days, and it ended up running a bit longer than I'd planned on. When I got back the DWC bucket under the Ogre was bone dry, and I mean bone dry.

So there was an unexpected mini-drought, and a lot of leaves yellowed up and dying off. The buds seem unaffected, but then that's where much of any moisture is held the longest. So I have most of the dead crap off now, and whatever came off with a touch or light tug was removed. When what's left dies off more I'll pull that too. IMO there was way too much foliage on that strain anyhow. But it's looking like a decent pot plant now. Some of the unsupported bigger branches are leaning over from fruit weight, and it's really showing some bulking up with no sign of cloudy trichs yet. She'll look better once the rest of the yellow crap comes off. Lovely dankness and very sticky. Needed a lot of alcohol to de-resinate my hands.

Smoked a test bud yesterday. Getting very nice, with a nice cerebral effect. If she yields a QP I'll be thrilled.

20150920_194849.jpg 20150920_194855.jpg 20150920_194914.jpg

15. [FROM THE AxT COMPARISON GROW FORUM]

9-24-2015

These are pics of my second shot at a Alien OG x Triangle. This version 2.0 acted pretty much the same as the first one but stretched out even more. Looked like another fail. I've come to realize that some strains just seem to grow like that, and some strains just don't like starting out in DWC. An APDxA would have been 18" by now. I had something else from the Joint Doctor that I called fail on which might have grown out if I had given her a LOT more time. I can't even recall exactly when I started this one but it's been excessively long ago, and been a 100mm gold-plated motherfucker getting it to grow in DWC. Still haven't fed it - Just added S.O.S. to our 200ppm (Avg) aerated city water to mitigate whatever evils are in there into stuff a plant might use. She's finally putting on leaves, but you can see how much early stretching there was. This AxT strain is growing roots very, very slowly, but they're established now. The stem is straight, but I had to skewer it, and it probably still isn't ready to stand alone.

I'm actually a little afraid to start feeding her. Since she seems to be getting by on what's there ATM, I'll let that go for a while yet, and when I do start, it'll be with light nutes. She still under the 96w T5.

20150924_151243.jpg 20150924_151319.jpg 20150924_151354.jpg

Here it may be seen how close she is to the light fixture.

20150924_151250.jpg

[​IMG]

16. My aliens are doing about the same as yours!? I've tried different lights, and soil too and I'm stumped? I have my 1st ever dwc 16 days into flower, I got the idea from following your last grow. I do 5 gal buckets and rotate them out like you mentioned you do and it is super easy! I topped her 1 time and then just tied the rest down. Do you have anything else going on besides the axt?

17. Hey jerry what light she under and how close is it.
    Ahh i see t5s i see ifyou can get them closer but keep temps at canopy at a comfy level. Looks like she reaching for the light A little.

18. #458 JerryInDFW, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015

You can see the HUGE stretch it did between the first leaves and the first true set, and she had plenty of close light. Right now she's 4" from the light, and I can't easily get it much closer. She's in an armoire I modded, and there's no room. I usually only clone or pop beans in there. After I feed her today, I expect she'll explode in growth and have to be moved out this weekend. That's why I might move the Ogre under the MH and the AxT under LCD. It's about 82 in there generally. Toying with running one in there in a 1g smart pot in coco/perlite for fun, but it'd need a lot of manipulation to stay reasonably sized.

She's a couple days over three weeks from popping but spent so long stalled. I see the deficiencies starting to show, and I'll take care of that in a few minutes after I finish my coffee IV.

[​IMG]

19. #459 JerryInDFW, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015

9-25-2015

So the AxT has been switched to nutes at about 450ppm (real). I expect she'll look like hell until she gets some new growth without the deficiencies. I believe 21 days is a tad long to go with no nutes growing in DWC. Seems like 14 would be more like it, and then do a very light feeding. But the sucker isn't an ideal strain for hydro IMO. Maybe I need to do more tweaking for the next one.

FYI: GH FloraSeries & Cal-Mag.

[​IMG]

20. #460 JerryInDFW, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015

9-29-2015

Just a couple of pics to show off the armoire and the Alien OG x Triangle Fixin' to start LST around the rim..

20150929_104411.jpg 20150929_142815.jpg

[​IMG]