JerryInDFWs Perpetual Grow - DWC + LED + HPS

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JerryInDFW, Oct 30, 2014.

1. #21 JerryInDFW, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    11-23-2014

An update of what I did today involved checking the ph and levels of the 3 current plants. No problems, but did tweak them back up to 5.9. I did a last round of FIMming a couple of days ago on the two Cheese's, and just waiting for them to grow a bit more before I flip ‘em – Probably Tuesday or Wednesday. The plan is to park fresh buckets under the two cheeses when I flip. Not sure, but I might be seeing pre-flowering on the first cheese plant.

These are from a couple days ago:

20141121_174732.jpg 20141121_174737.jpg

The Pineapple Chunk is pushing 12” already! Yikes! So I did a bunch of cleaning up and took two nice clones from her. She looks naked and scrawny atm, but that will last all of a couple of days. So excited!

Before and after:

20141123_111242.jpg 20141123_114907.jpg

Since I need to run to the hydro shop, today is as good as any. I just have to wait for the incredibly popular BBQ joint across the street to run out of food so I can park reasonably close. I'm going to need a couple more buckets for when things get busier down the road, and had a wild notion of getting a 10” basket for the DWC and trying 3-4 plants at once in there. I mean smaller auto strains. I see all kinds of overcrowded tents putting out a lot of bud, so I figure since I have a ton of autos I wouldn't mind burning a few with that little experiment. Just a one-off project to see if it's worth it but most likely won't be able to do that until after the holidays next month. Probably have to water that fucker ever day at least when it gets going.

I had thought to run one of the Cheese clones behind the PC, but may end up slotting in one of those PC clones instead. They're both going to be beauties I believe. It supposedly has 25% THC, which is almost the highest I've seen, so WTF.

Da clonez:

20141123_115339.jpg

:bongin:

2. #22 JerryInDFW, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    11-24-2014

Here's the Royal Queen Seeds swag I scored via the Original Sensible Seed Company daily giveaway.

20141124_183129.jpg

The lanyard looks like a factory second - assembled incorrectly, kinda like a mobius strip. Some stickers, big papers, a pen, a 2 piece plastic grinder, seed guide, and an ash tray, which I can use since I didn't have one.

So thanks to OSSC and Royal Queen Seeds for the goodies.

3. #24 JerryInDFW, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
    How not to get your ass kicked by the police: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQDvYOt_iA

4. 11-29-2014

Flipped the big tent today to 12/12, and left the Pineapple Chunk in there. Once I get the Kalimans sexed I can figure out which one to pull. I had thought to make beans from one of the clones if a female turned up, and still will alongside the Pineapple Chunk. That would give me some feminized pollen to play with down the road. But I don't believe I'll run one of the cheeses behind the current ones, since I want to run a PC clone so it doesn't get wasted.

Otherwise nothing new.

5. 12-1-2014

Sheesh! December already! 2014 has gone by in a blink of the eye seemingly.

So today I did more cleaning up of stems on the three big plants. Wouldn't have touched the Pineapple Chunk, but that fucker gets HUGE fan leaves in just a few days of growing. If I let them go, they'd at least double in size.

20141201_111947.jpg

Not much left to do but a bit of detailing once they flip and I can see where else to go nuts.

I started adding that Terpinator product. You go through a LOT of that pretty fast. It calls for like 10-15 ml/gallon, which will go quickly in DWC, so I'm kind of happy about them shooting me that 10 liter jug. At some point I'll run a white strain again and see if there's an actual visible difference.

Tidied up the clones, and they look great. Not sure if the PC's have rooted yet, but they look okay so I'm leaving them be. As soon as I'm positive about the sex of the Kalimans I'll figure out my next move. I'll run one of the PC clones for sure when it's time, but right now, I want the clones to stay as short as possible under the T5.

20141201_122223.jpg 20141201_122229.jpg

6. i never let my pineapple chunk get all that big, so lookin forward to seein how yours compares. i kept a mother clone though, so at some point over the next year or so ill fill my room with her and see what happens

7. I didn't fool with the center but only cut the side branches down to four and lollipoped them. Just flipped them a few days ago and already can see a little stretch. They're averaging between 60 and 85 watts a sq ft.

I believe that fan leaf in the pic would have gotten much bigger if I had left it to grow. As soon as we know the sex of the cheeses it'll be time to run another pineapple chunk in the next slot.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Hell yeah sounds like a plan man! :metal:

9. 12-9-2014

Well, the results are mostly in, and one of the KC's is definitely male. The other is a different pheno from the same bag, and a bit slower, bit I think it's going to be female.

Male:   View attachment 1639360 View attachment 1639359

Female (?):   View attachment 1639363 View attachment 1639362 View attachment 1639361

So until I'm sure about that second plant, I'll hold off on transplanting a clone of her to dwc and spraying the other for fem pollen.  By the time the new one in dwc is well established in a couple of weeks, it'll be near time to flip her and get her in the big tent. Then a Pineapple Chunk clone behind that.

And that's about it for the moment. Decided I really don't care for regular seeds with my limited space.

Yes, I'm regretting the regular seeds too. Still waiting for them to show so that I can get rid of some to fit my space. If they're all females (fat chance) I guess I'll just have to cram them all in there, lol. I'm looking at two plants for my space and I've got 5 vegging now....I'm actually hoping for 3 males :eek:

Well, it definitely sucks, especially with limited space, but there it is. At least it'll be a long time before I pop a regular bean again. Of the two, I was hoping the one that was male would be female since it's bigger. No big deal, I just want a female into flower. Actually, I have two, since I flipped the Pineapple Chunk too, and the clones are ready to go anytime.

Decided I didn't care too much about tent crowding. I realized I have decent watts sq/ft in the flowering tent, so I can get away with a bit of it. And nothing says you can't sequentialy harvest. You know, cut the upper stuff, and give some of the lower buds a chance at more light. To me, it all smokes.

I'm pretty sure SOG is just a term or overcrowding lol, after this run of autos I'm going to stick to photos.....if you start from clones; photos take about the same amount of time, better yield and you can work with them easier, imo.

Since my space is so small, I'm going to limit myself to two in flower and two in veg at all times. I thought I was Johnny Appleseed there for a while, lol

13. #34 Dingus, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
    If you flipped em and the second hasn't shown male already it probably is female. Why dontcha keep the male and collect some pollen, you could make both reg and fem beans of the cheeses with what you have.

Recently I've been reading a lot of hate on fem beans and I really don't understand why. Claims of how fem'ing by colloidal silver locks in herm traits. I don't believe it though. Cannabis expresses sexuality differently than many plants and obviously humans. People don't seem to understand that in cannabis it isn't just black and white male or female. There's a whole spectrum and range of femaleish males and maleish females and of course genetically both, true hermaphrodites.

I think "herming" as we growers most commonly experience it (occasional nanners, sometimes lots of them) is more related to stressed out plants and genetic patterns of similar stress of parent plants. I don't see how spraying colloidal silver to suppress female hormones and allow male hormones to create XX pollen creates genetic susceptibility to nanner forming.

Also SOG is specifically when you have a bunch of plants grown in small containers right next to eachother with no training and flowering like immediately.

Sorry I went on a tangent there, I'm a bit baked haha

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Maybe organized overcrowding!

I can cram (And I mean cram) up to 5 DWC buckets in my flower tent. It'd be a hot mess even with a lot of defoliation, but there still should be a lot of bud. Maybe do some sequential harvesting if the rest of the cycle isn't pressing too hard.

I'm not crazy about autos, but since I won a load of them and have a few that came as freebies, I anticipate using them when I want to slot in a faster plant. Got a couple of excellent strains I can't wait to try! Since I've decided to do only limited training in the future to save some vegging time, it'll be a wash as far as photo vs. auto. Clones are something else. I do want to make some more fem Pineapple Chunk beans, and after the clones the next bean I do should be a strawberry diesel / amnesia cross. Thinking about ordering a gold and purple strain to take advantage of the holidays specials.

Yeah, I figure it'll be a girl too, and I'm happy about that. Two males would have meant a lot of wasted time.

That male is pretty big now, and I don't want a ton of pollen getting loose. I can still use the clones to make either kind of pollen,  but I think I'm not going to screw with spraying anything until I'm ready to do the PC clone.

Personally, I don't have a problem with fem beans. As for the occasional nanner, I agree that if it's just a few once in a while, it's probably some dumb-ass thing I did to cause it. Those F35's popped a nanner or two in a couple of the phenos, but I just plucked 'em and moved on. Wouldn't be the first weed I smoked that had a few seeds.

I wish I had the growing style to do a SOG with a net and all, but dwc takes enough screwing with that I don't want the plants anchored.

16. 12-10-2014

Ordered a MH bulb to give it a try.

If you have room in your veg area; having an auto in there at all times is a good idea, imo. I mean, the lights are gonna be on anyways, right?

Just when I decided not to do autos; I won some, too. lol. I don't have room in veg for one, so I might try some in the vegetable garden this spring altho they do say that autos grow better indoors.

18. #39 JerryInDFW, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014

That's actually a very good idea. I don't anticipate vegging more than a couple plants at a time, so I could concievably do that. I've been reviewing all my strains, and some of those look to be fairly smallish. I have the veg tent offline atm, and using the clone cabinet, but I need to get the clones in there in a couple weeks, and I'll pop a Northern Lights x Big Bud Auto or something.

I think the trick with autos is to pop them indoors a couple weeks before you transplant/move 'em outdoors. Some of the oiutdoor growers could give you more advice on that.

19. I'm sub'd up! Looking good Jerry! I enjoy watching your grows. Wishing you luck nailing down the perpetual cycle! I've been considering ordering some pineapple chunk to run in my 3gal DWC after the Sweet Deep Grapefruit I just started! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE