Made the switch

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Da-Lu, Oct 29, 2014.

1. #1 Da-Lu, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    I started off my cultivation endeavours by growing using DWC and RDWC. After 3 successful grows I had a career change. Now I am home less, and was struggling to keep my plants alive in hydro. I wanted to setup a grow where I can just water. That way I can setup an automatic drip ring or get my closest friend to water them while I'm away. So here goes. This is my first attempt at a organic grow. As of now the 3x3 setup is shut down, may fire it back up as a veg tent later. Running a 600w MH for veg, will run a 1000w HPS for flower.

Equipment:
    5x5 secret jardin tent
    Air cooled hood
    6" can fan with carbon air filter
    1000w lumatek ballast ( set to 600 w with a 600w mh for veg)
    7 gallon pots ( starting small and working my way up)

Equipment not in use:
    3x3 secret jardin tent
    600w lumatek ballast
    Air cooled hood
    4" can fan with carbon air filter

Soil:

Seedling mix:
    1/2 bag sea soil (16L)
    6L perlite
    8L Earth worm castings
    6 tsp dolomite lime ( 2 tbsp)

Veg:
    Sea soil - 1/2 bag
    Peat moss - 10L
    Earth worm castings 4L
    Gaia Green - 9 tsp ( 3 tbsp)

Flower:
    Sea soil - 1 bag
    Peat moss - 10L
    Perlite - 10L
    Earth worm castings - 10L
    Bone and blood meal - 6 tsp (2 tbsp)
    Gaia green veg mix - 21 tsp (7 tbsp)
    Dolomite lime - 12 tsp (4 tbsp)

Seeds:
    5 regular seeds. A mix of BC god bud and Thai lights from a previous grow.
    1 ak47 feminized. Started in hydro but wasn't doing well so I transplanted
    1 white widow feminized. Wasn't doing well in hydro so I transplanted.

Probably will have to tweek my mix but here goes.

Attached Files:

2. I'm subbing in, this grow deserves attention, might be something for on-the-edge hydro to organic growers!

How often do you think you'll have on average to be home to look in on the ladies? Only asking because I think I read you are using reg non -fem seeds;

3. #3 Da-Lu, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    You are right. I'm using 5 reg and 2 feminized seeds. Depending on my schedule / how close to home I am I could be home every night or every 2-3 weeks. I won't switch them to flower until I know I have time off so I can cut the males.

I used a bunch of reg seeds I had from a previous grow where the plants turned hermie. Wanted to use free seeds my first go.

The two fem seeds I had in hydro that weren't doing well because I wasn't home to stay on top of ph/ppm. I transplanted them to the soil mix because the reg seeds were doing so well.

4. Welcome to GCO, Da-Lu!

You might find this thread useful with your inconsistent work schedule.  It's a non-automated sub-irrigated watering method.  It's really nice if you have to have someone else look after your plants.  Just fill the res' when it gets empty.  The plant takes what it needs when it needs it.  No overwatering/underwatering.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1151159-noobwannbs-self-wicking-smartpot-ghetto-setup.html?view=findpost&p=18045496&hl=noob%26%2339%3Bs

5. I don't have time right now to get too into this, but you only need one batch of living soil to take you from seed to harvest. Think about it, nature doesn't use different soils for different stages of growth, why should you?

6. So much this!

I've been doing variations on this and love it! Check out my first and second grow journals for some examples. I started with organics last Feb.

7. I will check that thread out. Thanks for the advice!
    As for the soil I didn't know if my final mix would be too hot for younger plants so I used a weaker mix.

8. As long as the pile has had time (3-4 weeks) for the microbes to break down your amendments, you can start your plants right into the mix, and not have to change it. Just topdress with some ewc and kelp occasionally and call it good :)

9. Thanks for the advice!

I got a batch of soil cooking right now!

10. I have liquid kelp. Would watering with this be as good as top dressing with the powder stuff? If not I'll go buy the powder stuff.

That wicking thread was interesting. Definately something to keep in mind! Pretty much he fills a flood tray or drain tray with perlite and than adds water as long as it's not higher than the perlite? Simple but clever. I have a ton of hydroton from when I grew hydro I could use

11. For seedlings or cuttings your best choice is to mix equal parts of sphagnum peat moss, EWC/compost and some aeration. This is your base soil mix. The reason is that seeds contain all the nutrients they need for the first few weeks out of the soil. New seedlings are sensitive and are easy to kill off. Too much water can even kill them.

The same is true of cuttings. Once they get roots then move them into your soil mix. Once the seedlings start getting their true leaves is when you would move them into your soil.

Anyway that's how I do it and I've been very successful with cuttings and seedlings using my base soil mix.

12. Sounds good! Pretty similar to what I used for my seedling mix. So far they seem to be doing alright. Had a couple with slight leaf twist on their first set of leaves. I read this can happen in young seedlings especially god bud. The second set of leaves are coming in normally.

Here's what I used.

1/2 bag Sea Soil (16L) (heard good things about it and my veggie garden loved it)
    6L perlite
    8L Earth worm castings

Attached Files:

13. If you're getting good results then that's the goal.

14. Update:
    Plants seem to doing well from what I can tell (havnt been home in a week) other than one is growing deformed leaves. Not sure why but I'm too not concerned. Good old free bag seed.

Attached Files:

15. I had always heard hydro grew faster plants. So far these plants seem to be growing as fast as my plants did in hydro. We will see how they do the next two weeks. This is the stage my plants really took off in hydro.

16. Here's what I ended up using for the mix they will be transplanted into as a final mix. Just needs to cook a bit. I also water with kelp extract added to the water. We will see how this mix does.

Sea soil - 1 bag (32L)
    Peat moss - 10L
    Perlite - 20L
    Earth worm castings - 20L
    Bone and blood meal - 1 cup
    Gaia green 4-4-4 - 1.5 cups
    Alfalfa meal - 1.5 cups
    Dolomite lime - 1.5 cups

17. Also I got in some seeds the other day. All Feminized:

1x cheese
    1x grape god
    1x grapefruit haze
    1x grapefruit Kush
    1 x purple bubba Kush
    1x auto jack
    10x northern lights
    5x hash plant
    1x Jamaican grape
    1x PK ultra
    1x NYC diesel

18. Made a tea for a Foliar spray/root drench and plants loved it!

2 tsp kelp meal
    3 tsp alfalfa meal
    5 tsp EWC
    1 tsp Glacial rock dust
    2 pumps kelp extract
    1 tsp blackstrap molasses

Bubbled for 24 hours.

19. Transplanted to final mix a few days ago. Pic was taken after a Foliar spray!

Got some neem meal, crustacean meal, coconut water powder, agsil16H and 200x aloe Vera powderin the way! Also added kelp meal to the mix!

Attached Files:

20. Loving organic so far! So easy!