How to Make Full Melt Ice Water Extract - Tutorial

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Brother Urb, Oct 27, 2014.

Same here dude prior to making my own!  I bought my bags at a local head shop.  I was in a pinch and needed them asap.  There are better priced bag systems out there.

If I were going to buy another set of bags I'd likely buy them from here. http://www.freshheadies.com/store/home.php

You can get 8 bag set of the Lite version for $150 I believe.  Damn good deal.

Cheers man I hope you and your old man can enjoy some full melt together. :smoking:

2. Great write-up man! I'm definitely going to have to reference this when I play around with this set of bags I'm borrowing :bongin:

3. Thanks for the great write up op!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

4. My pleasure!   I hope you all can enjoy some nice full melty goodness! 

Please post pics when you guys end up making some!

5. #26 Hashtag46n2, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    Good afternoon fellow resin lovers.
    :cool:

My brother Urb asked if I could add some of my pictures to his awesome tutorial.

Obliged. :D

I may break them into a series of several posts, as I got quite a few to share.

Fresh out of the bag
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

**I also would like to add. . Do not use cardboard to dry your hash, this is a very common error that was taught to everybody, but it is not ideal.

It was the thought that it helps wick the water away.. it does, but also wicks away some of the essential oils in the Hash, hurting yields and trading the tasty oils for the flavor of cardboard.

^^That step alone has held back the Hash production for years, as nobody liked the flavor of hash. ..hmm wonder why.

Because the Hash tasted of sulfur sourced from drying on cardboard.
    Instead, dry on some parchment paper for sticky resin, use glass or porcelain for hard resin.
    Sorry, more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cure your hash in glass Jars, just like fresh flowers for best results.

About 11 grams
    [​IMG]

Pressed a pinch to dab
    [​IMG]

Some Macros
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With flash
    [​IMG]

Ok, that is plenty enough for one post, hope it doesn't bog down the page. :D

I have a lot more to share, including some pressed Hash, Frenchy style. > Hashish.

One more note I'd like to add. .

Don't micro-plane, it ruptures the glands we just worked our ass off to collect as a whole.

As Urb said, use a couple of toothpicks to separate as evenly as possible, or use the dull side of a kitchen knife.

Another option for big patties of wet hash is to use a Stainless Steel Kitchen Strainer with medium-small sized holes..

Place patty in Strainer and use the backside of your collection spoon to push the patty through.

Again, this is one of the very best tutorials of creating IWE. ..

Please lock and sticky.

Great job Urb.
    :bongin:

6. #27 Brother Urb, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    I need an intravenous because I just lost A LOT of fluids. :D  Such beautiful pics man.  Please post more.  They are such inspiration!

Great tips brotha dabs on not drying on the cardboard.  I myself was making this error before you dropped the knowledge on me.

Also interesting you mention not to microplane the resin.  I was watching hash church yesterday.  Tony of River Rock and the gentleman Horatio Delbert, creator of LHO, were speaking about how some terpenes themselves act as a solvent to the waxy membrane of the glandular trichome. 

This is actually what got me to PM'ing you about drying techniques as they went on to discuss drying and the effects of microplaning and the reaction of the terpenes acting as a solvent. 

I'm going to post the video.  It's long and great and there is a lot of fuckery between the solid info's but it's there if you are willing to listen. I have watched every episode and attended with great focus trying to learn as much as possible. I gotta say.  It really is a pleasure listening to Horatio and Tony drop knowledge.  Tony's on some whole other level of essential oil's industry with the cannabis and extracting terps and plant fats and everything else from the plant.  It's great.  It's a beautiful thing.

Refer to 25 minutes and 30 seconds in when they start speaking on the topic of microplaning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ6ClemMwzE

Sounds like you are 100% correct sirdabs.  For the average hash maker you do not want to microplane.  Under some circumstances maybe?  with perfect environments and manipulation of the water.

a direct quote from tony from the video:

"in my opinion if you don't dry out the heads and then you plane them. So you don't wait to grate, if you will.  If you do it right away, then what you are essentially doing is the water in which you are leaving around the trichome heads in like you were talking about, is able to penetrate those heads because they are capturing quite a bit of the terpenes, in that process because it is very fresh. So now all of a sudden you are getting a terpene penetration and the terpenes happen to be hydrophobic and they're pulling in the water into the heads or into the hash causing it to cake out"

7. #28 Shambles, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
    Just ordered my set of bubble bags to try this out!!!

I got the 5 Gallon 8 bag LITE kit for 150.00 off of freshheadies.com 

Since I'm in canada with shipping and exchange rate it ended up costing me 210.00 canadian with 2 day shipping.

SUPER stoked to give this a try, i might just have to start making this instead of BHO from now on!

From a half pound in the 5 gal bags I pulled about 14 grams of full melt, and a few grams of not full melt stuff. From 2 oz I would guess approximately 1/8th of full melt.

Personally I would spend the extra few dollars and get the 5 gal system unless you are confident you will never be working with more than 2 oz.

9. #30 Shambles, Nov 23, 2014
    i just updated my post, i ended up going with the 5Gal 8 bag LITE version. I'm so stoked to give this a try, can't wait for it to arrive!!

Good luck man!  I'd love to see some pics when you are done.  Don't be afraid to ask more questions also if you need to.

11. I actually do have a question for you, i know it is ideal to use trim/shake for this process but is it possible to use full buds or would this be not worth it?

thanks!

Yes it is definitely worth making with buds.  You will get increased yields with buds and it's totally worth it in my opinion. 

Break them down to fairly small nuggets so you have maximum surface area but you definitely don't want to grind or shred the bud first.

13. #34 Shambles, Nov 23, 2014
    awesome man, i think I'm coming into 20oz of bottom of the bag shake and popcorn nugs, all super dry from a medical patient i know and after him hearing i ordered these he wants me to try it with that material.

Im overly excited to give this a shot!  Hopefully this material works good!

Next personal run i am going to use full buds, Probably start with 2oz just for my head stash.

14. Sounds like you have lots of fun ahead of you.

Just remember it's all the little things that count.  Happy hash making. :)

15. thanks man, i will post the results here when i do it, planning on making it the weekend of december 5th.!

16. Hey guys, i forgot about this but i was wondering if this would be worth it just to clean up the hash a bit. 

I have 29g of keif that i have been collection for two years out of the collection screen from the bottom of my buster. 

its pretty good quality but i was wondering if i could use this method to clean it up into full melt? 

here is some pictures.

Attached Files:

I think some dry sifting screens would work better for that. You could always try though and report your findings. :)

Holyshit that looks good.

I agree.  Sirdabs is one fine extraction artist.  Wish I could fly to Colorado and puff on some of his full melt. Looks absolutely delicious and he has quite the knack for photography too!