Non-English Speaking Citizens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Oct 24, 2014.

Sorry, most of us don't speak Vodka here.

2. I actually wanted to take Russian at unlv but was turned off by the fact that they only offered one year of it

-yuri

3. #83 mandrin13, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

They will be fine, eventually the people who follow your mentaity will die off so it will no longer be an issue.

4. Y'all gotta speak Merican so we know what's goin on round this here town

5. My "mentaity"?  

Case closed.  

Glad you agree old man

7. #87 nativetongues, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
    I never really cared about generally coming across a foreign person here and there, unless they are rude. However being on a college campus is really annoying sometimes. I'm a Chem major so about 40 percent of the people in my classes speak some kind of Asian language and horrible butchered English. Honestly, I know this is racist and I know that our language probably sounds as stupid to them as theirs does to us, but I think many Asian languages are very disgusting sounding languages. So guttural and just like angry sounding. There's nothing more annoying than trying to focus on partial derivatives and having three hundred kids mutter bullshit to each other in Chinese. I know that that's fucked up but it's a language that annoys me for some reason.

Lastly, I get really pissed when someone who can half speak English is put in a job that depends largely on communication. That's not fair to the customers or the employee to have to deal with that. Especially professors. Like I understand you may have ten PhDs in organic synthesis but that's not gonna do me any good if I can't understand a word you're fucking saying.

8. No clue what it means, but I can read it. Nothing bothers me more than not being able to read another culture's alphabet even if it means I can't understand it.
    I am not very good at typing an English equivalent of the Cyrillic alphabet but I shall try....
    Ya dumayoo, cheto v slishakom ostro.
    Something like that.

9. Thats funny. I feel you though. When I first moved to tx from ct I used to hate all the illegals. I was like why don't they speak english, this is America lol
    But then I went out with some Colombian chick who was an illegal. And with her I saw a differt perspective of things
    So yea its annoying when the foreigner doesn't want to take the time to learn the language. But you know what? That his lost. Now he couldn't communicate with you when HE needed something and now he won't get what he needed.

10. #90 *ColtClassic*, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014

Well, hopefully they can receive further English language training once they graduate from college. If they haven't been learning English since early in their schooling and have been working primarily with other Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Mongolian/Filipino/Thai/Indian students then it will be unlikely that their pronunciation/grammar/appropriation/accent are up to par. If they are employed in a multicultural work environment after uni they will most likely have to develop these skills or suffer in their work. However, a lot of students get shipped in from places like China just to receive a degree at an American or British university so they have greater chances of employment back in their native country.

How do you think English might sound to non-native speakers?

How would you feel attending university in an Asian country?

Just some things to think about.

11. Like I said it's not like I feel they shouldn't have the right to talk in Chinese. They can talk in whatever language they want. The language just annoys me when I hear it. I wouldn't hold anything against a non English speaker who had similar thoughts about English because I think it's natural for other languages to sounds weird.
    The things about the professors though is pretty legitimate in my opinions. You shouldn't get a job that is primarily based in communication unless you can effectively communicate. That's just common sense that universities don't think about.

12. Haha I remember my u.s. government teacher just moved from Puerto Rico, COULD NOT understand anything he said. But I still got an A
    Lol

13. #93 yurigadaisukida, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    I had a math teacher with a.south African accent (or maybe french i couldnt tell really) and couldn't understand a damn word he said

-yuri

14. #94 -13 Amp-, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
    I know some don't like to speak english often (but can talk to people) but speak their normal lang. More just because they think they sound stupid trying to speak english and that people look at them and sometimes treat them like they're stupid when they speak in broken or accented english...

Just throwin that out there...

Exactly. If you barely know another language just enough to get by, you will be much more inclined to speak your native language. I feel like an infant If I try to speak a language other than English.

16. I can speak enough Spanish to find a motel, a bathroom, a hooker, some weed , some beer.

I could get by in Mexico no problem. Love Mexican food, its the very best IMHO.

17. I once had a prof who kept repeating in his very thick Dutch accent that one of the main principles of capitalism is to buy sheep and sell deer.  I admit I was too shy to ask for an explanation and for a couple of weeks I kept wondering what the fuck is he talking about.  I had taken other courses on the subject and never ever came across this axiom of buying sheep and selling deer.

And then one day it hit me - buy cheap, sell dear.

I had a math prof from China who was brand new to western institutions. Every class in the fall up until Halloween he would obligatorily attempt to the class a software sales pitch.

One day I asked him why he had stopped. He told me that the software was

骗宜, not 便宜.

He knew arbitrage had little place in the world of open-source software, yet reluctantly pushed the pitch as "$40, very inexpensive."
    And he went on to explain to me that functions are like rivers - it's hard to avoid the twist and turns.
    I left his office humbled, knowing that there were people out there that would carve integrals into pumpkins.

19. I speak Pig Latin fairly well. Enough to get by in Pigtopia. When Zoom was on in the 70's I learned ubba dubby wubby talk. But unfortunately that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. You live a miserable life, im sorry!