Non-English Speaking Citizens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Thank you but it's not troubling to me, it's the future generations of this country that are going to have to deal with an idiocracy-type of society if we don't get our priorities straight.  

2. #42 s A t I v A, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    I wrote it in english, didn't I...

3. Assuming they're first generation immigrants and legal, I don't mind. What I'm not cool with are people that come here, reject our culture and expect us to assimilate theirs.

4. Having recently moved to a new country, I know how it is to be on the other side of this. It makes one feel like an absolute infant. Try to sympathize with those who feel hopeless because of linguistic limitations. This is one of the biggest reasons I am becoming an English teacher.

Where are you?

Portugal.

Do you like it?

8. said the Guy who shut the ddoor in a man's face

-yuri

So far its great; inexpensive and laid-back. The job market is worse than in the US, but the culture and quality of life is comparable, if not better in many aspects.

10. My mistake was opening the door in the first place, but I was expecting a package and thought that's what it was.

One rule of urban living, never open the door to a stranger.  

11. #51 yurigadaisukida, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Can't argue with that

One time someone left our door unlocked. Some random dude stumbles into our house. I mean literally stumbles. Some kid fucked up on drugs who didn't know what he was doing. Walked into like 4 other houses after ours. Could even hear some people shouting at him.

I kicked him out. But looking back, a better decision would have been to sit him on the sidewalk with some water and call the cops

-yuri

* Ambulance. You should have called an ambulance. Cops are a liability, paramedics have life-saving medication and training.

(know that I think about it, you probably just meant 911 in general, as "call the cops" is a euphemism for calling 911)

13. Well yea, I figured if I call 911 and tell tjem what's up they'd send cops and paramedics

-yuri

How could you live in a city without a peephole in your door?

Cops would certainly be dispatched too.

16. #56 *ColtClassic*, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014

Yes, I agree, after posting I realized I just have a bias against cops and didn't think things through. Of course, they would send police as well, which is why I probably wouldn't call the ambulance unless it seemed like the person needed immediate medical attention (in this case it is questionable, especially since we cannot actually be present).

17. Well they even like to steal the territory of their neighbouring countries..... Unfortunately, polite, decent Russians are in the minority from my experience. 

18. I have one, including two deadbolts with medico cylinders, a heavy steel medico cylinder guard* for one, the original lock which I don't even use, and gates on windows which are accessible to the fire escape. 

[​IMG]

19. Imagine being a western looking lady, trying to buy tampons in a non-english speaking Arab country.

"BLEEDING. LADIES WHO BLEED!"

And the hand gestures that might go along with that.

I'm sure I offended someone, somewhere.  But for fuck's sake Garrison, maybe what they are saying is worth trying to understand.

20. These people didn't just arrive, they've been here for YEARS, decades in many cases, and can't speak any English at all - even though there are free classes, books, DVD's and such at the library, and other ways to learn.   The City hires people who speak Russian to work at the library, at the taxpayers' expense, to keep them happy.