Non-English Speaking Citizens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Aside from whatever I think it is reasonable for anyone that has a job where one interacts with strangers that English or at least basic English is desired.

I often go to the China town in my city to their farmers market and I don't expect them to speak all that much English. Rather then get mad its fun trying to communicate sometimes non verbally.

2. #22 garrison68, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014

We have stores in my neighborhood where they speak foreign languages only.  I do not patronize them.  It's almost as bad as stores (who do speak English) that have special sales for "preferred" customers (such as a local clothing store that caters to spoiled teenagers), which I also boycott.  

3. Gawd I luv New Yorkers ...

4. Speak English on this thread!  :hello:

5. Just get a gun and shoot on sight, that'll teach those pesky Russians to not ask for pens and paper!

6. Speaking of guns, just the fact that he rang the doorbell would be enough provocation for some of the gun nuts on here to start shooting.  

7. #27 garrison68, Oct 24, 2014
    What should I have done, invited him in for a glass of vodka and a serving of caviar?  This is a total stranger, not unlike others of his ilk, who have huge balls when it comes to taking advantage of people and institutions, and giving nothing in return.  

Most New Yorkers would not even have opened the door for a stranger.  

Don't tell me about rude - Russians are so rude and nasty, that their airlines have to give classes in politeness to their employees.  

8. #28 iAmBetty, Oct 24, 2014
    I probably would have stayed with the guy longer if I had the time, but I agree it would be much better people learned the main language of the country you move to. It doesn't mean they have to forget their first language Tourists are fine though..

9. I have no problem with helping tourists who do not speak any or much English, unlike some of the residents of Quebec who are nasty fucks, especially to non French-speaking Americans.  

10. #31 iAmBetty, Oct 24, 2014
    Yeah I had some good and some bad situations in Quebec. France, too. Not really my favorite places to visit.

11. idk man. I would have at least given him a paper

-yuri

Maybe, but we would often drive the 5 hours to get their gummy black hash.

13. You chose to move to Brooklyn, so I have no sympathy for you Garrison. Have you had an orthodox Jew accidentally bump into your wife and then get freaked out and trying to apologize to you in Hebrew or some shit? 

14. I really don't give a shit what language you speak, just be aware that I don't understand you. That's all.

15. #36 garrison68, Oct 24, 2014
    I was BORN in Brooklyn, and I have not asked for anybody's sympathy for anything.  

All the Jews, that I have ever run into, other than Jewish immigrants (some of whom are Russian or Eastern European), speak English as their first language and would NEVER speak "Hebrew or some shit" to a person that they did not even know.  

16. you need to smoke some marijuana and bang your wife

17. You need to learn some manners. 

18. Different experiences I suppose. Good luck with your troubles.

19. That sums it up - AWARENESS.  

Perfect.