The nature of self

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pickledpie, Oct 24, 2014.

1. i see, it was a misunderstanding due to semantics. post # 7 seemed to say something other than what you are saying

2. Who cares what buddhism teaches? If I were to be the one carrying out a genocide, i likely wouldn't be the person I am right now. What karma, what circumstances might lead to that? If I spoke from the perspective of my current path, it would be God's will, everything is God's will. If i were to carry out a genocide, then I would feel ai have a reason to carry it out.

I was assuming that you have no opinions over whether a genocide is right or wrong because that may be what the philosophy you practise, Buddhism, teaches.. that nothing is right or wrong? If you were in a position wherein you had no choice but to carry out a genocide, and for no conceivable reason, would you be indifferent to the slaughter of the victims?

4. #24 pickledpie, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    It's hard to speak of these things. They aren't apart of our culture and aren't a part of our generally spoken of subjects. Our concepts our rooted in their practical use. These things aren't a practical part of our culture or society. The meaning is often esoteric and hard to relate. Regardless of how simple it seems after we develop an understanding of it and place for it in our minds.

5. I don't really suscribe to a particular doctrine, philosophy or practice. Rather, I search for merit in various places and adopt all values of merit. To be honest, simplicity dictates no need for adherance to anything. No need for outward declaration of association.

That hypothetical is very strange. How can I be forced to commit a genocide for no concievable reason? If there is a good reason for it, of if I feel there is a good reason for it, then what does it matter? It all depends on so many things. A person to commit such a genocide cannot be a man like me.

6. #26 Account_Banned283, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

When I say no ''conceivable reason'', I mean that there is no reason for why you should be committing genocide, not that there is no reason as to how it came to be that you should commit genocide, but let's say that you're forced to by dictatorial powers - can you answer the question please?

7. This has nothing to do with anything. If that kind of situation were to occur, then I wouldn't be the person I am right now. In my current state, I simply wouldn't do it.

8. #28 Account_Banned283, Oct 26, 2014

It has to do with you saying that you have no opinions over the morality of genocide. That's why it's a hypothetical situation.. asking the question once again, if you were forced to commit a genocide, would you be indifferent having to perform it?

9. No opinion. What happens happens. If there's no way to avoid it, then what can I do? Naturally I might be inclined to either enjoy or detest such a thing, but I would do neither. One should live all of life with such indifference. Yet there is good reason to avoid such a thing, yet no reason to cry over spilt milk.

10. #30 Account_Banned283, Oct 26, 2014

You would not detest having to slaughter masses of innocent people.. honestly, I don't even know how you can say that, because for one, it clearly isn't true, at least, I hope for your own sake that it isn't, and two, it's awful. :mellow: There isn't a ''good reason'' to do anything pickledpooh, because ''good'' and ''bad'' don't actually exist to you, remember?

11. Lol, there really was no point in humouring you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #32 Account_Banned283, Oct 26, 2014

Coming from the one who tries to say that he would not consider it wrong were he forced to commit genocide for no reason because if he were to consider it ''wrong'' it would mean that he's somehow ''attached to a concept'', or to ''duality''. Also, can you tell me why it wouldn't be a ''good reason'' to commit genocide when there is no such thing as ''good'' and ''bad''? Keep going. :huh:

Like bubbles coming and going, indeed! And not only self, but the entire realm of biological life processes.  Eddie currents in a flowing river of elemental molecular interactions, choreographed primarily by the nature of charge and the electric field. Temporary and ever changing patterns of energy organization powered by the absorption, transformation, and storage of electromagnetic energy from the sun - or consuming that which does. Molecular processes whose patterned, organizational information is stored as a sequential code in a set of long, skinny crystals  Amazing!!! 

Yet even such manifestations of such wondrous phenomena eventually succumb to the relentless statistical propensity for energy to disperse. But most of the time life blazes long enough to spawn new, shuffled  versions of its causal patterns..

• Like Like x 1
    Higher levels of brain processing integrate and use the results of a hierarchical labyrinth of distributed processing. However, the family, friends, acquaintances, and most of all, the doctors of Phineas Gage gained some of the first insights into your answers back in 1848.

[​IMG]

15. I never said anything about right or wrong. That was you. If you want to get emotional about this kind of stuff, I'm not going to stop you. I can't explain something to someone who has got it wrong from the first point.

• Like Like x 1
    Why can't you actually maintain an argument?

You have no opinion. therefore, apparently, you don't consider genocide wrong. :mellow:

17. Why should I maintain an argument? To argue with you?

Who cares why I think? Right an wrong means what? It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

So, yeah, it does have something to do with what you're talking about. Obviously though, you don't care that much about having a coherent position, and I already knew that, it's only been re-enforced to me in this thread.

19. Effy. There's no need for you to say any of this. If you feel happy reinforcing your own understanding, then it's good that you're happy. If you want to understand my position, you're going to have to wade a little deeper into the ocean. I'll tell you now that you've missed the mark, but I'm not here to correct that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Also, before I was speaking about how it's really hard to communicate things that don't fit into our cultural narrative.