whats wrong with america

Discussion in 'Politics' started by soundbombing0, Oct 23, 2014.

1. #41 WaxPayne, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014

Abbreviation for Tuesday perhaps? :confused_2: 

Short for Tuesday.

Like: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun.

3. Well shit. My phone really is smarter than me :lol:

-yuri

4. Lol. North America, South America, Central? There's a lot of different "Americans".

5. Got to agree with you mate.
    The money our countries squander is obscene.

And yet british kids are going to bed at nights without having had a meal.yes its the parents responsibility to do so, but when they fall on hard times we should have the compassion to help out.

It amazes me when I hear politicians spout about helping the poor, but there are more food banks than ever there was.

Have they no shame, it embarrasses the fuck out of me, and I dont run the country.
    We spend billions on nukes and a new railway line, but cant even feed thier citizens.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. The one people care about

Those are Other America

8. The United States is still the place to be, in my view.

Part of the culture is to bitch and moan, like this thread shows. I do it too, just to be clear.

We have about half the world's market share in equities. I'm okay with that. I've never heard of someone starving to death. If you can't make it here, being somewhere else probably wouldn't help.

Parts of our culture are horrifically pointless, but that's a good problem to have in the whole scheme of things.

9. http://youtu.be/NokZdFXy6RU

10. America is like a mega-cruise ship, careening about out of control in a massive North Atlantic storm with a bunch of silly-minded juveniles playing at the ship's helm - kids that have never even been on a ship, let alone piloted one. A behemoth of a vessel on the verge of breaking apart ,while wild eyed children, without a clue how to use radar or sonar or any other navigational equipment, convince themselves and a good portion of the more gullible passengers that icebergs aren't really anything for anyone to be concerned about and everything was fine. 

Not to mention on the backs of only several hundred million humans much of the worlds innovation and technology has come via our genius.

Anywhere you go in the world and I have been around it and back more times then I can count I see the US's continuing ongoing legacy. Anything from a car, computer, iPhone, Android, aircraft etc.

I challenge any of you on this site to travel and live in a place other then Europe, Japan, or any of the say G13 nations. Go down to South America, go to India, go to many parts of Asia. You will see suffering, insanity that you never dreamed.

Go see how the vast majority of people on this planet lives. Its a eye opener.

Agreed. I'm as critical of certain government programs as anyone else, but in terms of where I want to be, I know I have it pretty good.

I read a Price Waterhouse Cooper study recently. It projected changes in national productivity between now and 2050. They make the case that Taiwan, Brazil, Russia, China, and the Phillipines will grow dramatically, but we'll still essentially be the best off. China, supposedly, will produce a little bit more than we will in 2050, but we'll firmly be number two in production. On an individual or per capita basis, we will still be consuming the most.

Hell, if you just buy an index fund based on the S&P 500 you'll average 9-10% return per year with reinvested dividends. This average is about the same for every decade from 1800 until now. Wealth is constantly being created all around us.

People here have thought this throughout our country's history, and pessimism about the United States hasn't been very profitable. History hasn't been kind to anyone betting against the country. 

Right on. For the people who do not know or forget back in the 1970s we had a man named Jimmy Carter as President who oddly sat in front of a fireplace and addressed the nation telling us that we were on path down, we had to tighten the belt. Then the 80's came and we were reborn.

Time magizine also ran a cover predicting the end of the American Era. Time and time again anyone who has wagered against the US has lost that bet.

Yep. Don't get me wrong. I disagree with our insane amount of spending, unnecessary wars, etc. but we are a fundamentally strong economic power, per usual. 

True. Delusional ideologues, counterproductive agendas, lying politicians, and enemies seeking to destroy us aren't something new. Neither is inept blundering  But the degree that so many are willing to ignore and even defend inept bullshit these days is more than a little disconcerting.

And North Vietnam bet against us and won the bet - and for that we can thank once again a bunch of inept, politicians and their phony-ass lying and scheming (think LBJ's drummed up "Gulf of Tonkin incident" for starters)..

17. In a down economy with 95 or so million out of work, 40 million something on Welfare we are producing a outstanding 3 trillion in taxes year to date...thats more then any time in history.

Should the chains on the American economy be removed expect some astounding growth.

You always will have lying politicians, ideologues. You had them 1000 years ago you have them today. At no point in your life will you ever be without that.

Watch that movie Lincoln what I found fascinating was the sheer about of lobbying that Lincoln had to do to get the passage of the Amendment that freed the slaves through. It happened very much like today.

As for Vietnam there loses were suffered in the hundreds of thousands and then crushing economic sanctions which were only lifted I believe by President Clinton. Other then our dead we suffered very little for that war, on the other hand the Vietnamese it took years for them to dig themselves out of the mess there country was in.

19. I do agree with all of this.