Anyone believe in God but not religion?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Messiah Decoy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Anyone wanna explain what a Goldilocks zone or planet is?

2. Are those real questions? Lol Goldilocks zone is the habitable area a planet can be for it to be able to harbor life as we know it.
    A planet is what your feet are standing on. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

3. A goldilock planet is the perfect distance from a sun for life to thrive.

Not too close and not too far. Juuuust right.

4. Nice one cheers for clearing that up decoy.

5. #25 Tokesmith, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    No it wasn't an accident. We used our intelligence to create tools for our own use. We built things with the tools. We got good at it and now we can build things like the Sistine Chapel.

I give credit to the engineers and thinkers who created the Sistine Chapel because they built it intentionally. Not by accident.

We didn't start off as engineers, we started off as pond scum.

You think it's a happy coincidence we went from there to here?

7. #27 ChristopherABrown, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    Marijuana slightly dissolves the barrier between the conscious and the unconscious mind. God it seems, is mostly known by the unconscious which is about 86% of our mental capacity at any given moment.

The unconscious mind does not know time, sequence yes, but events of early childhood can be as fresh as the moment they happened under the right conditions. All religions agree, which quite a significant thing, that God is eternal. Time does not matter

I've established that part of your mental existence has a primary resemblance to one of the universally accepted aspects of God.

Another universally accepted aspect is that God knows everything. If we took all of the knowledge of all of the living things in existence, God would know all that those things knew and more,

Another thing religions agree upon is that we are all connected by God.

If I were to replace the word God with "collective unconscious" it would bear great similarity to all of those agreed aspects of religion. Of course God would be greater because God includes things we cannot conceive of.

Never the less, "collective unconscious" could serve as a description of the "here and now" aspect of our existences.

Whenever scribes of the past wrote of their perceptions of God, it was always from the "here and now" perspective of their existence. Therein is the interpretational problem of religious texts. Also that is good reason to endeavor to dissolve the barrier between the conscious an unconscious regularly, but temporarily, to try and glimpse knowledge meaningful to God, and to us for Gods purposes that resides in the "here and now" of the collective unconscious. Then strive for meaningful sways to share that knowledge.
    One purpose appears to be to create places for love to grow.

Freedom is a place for love to grow.

8. What are you implying?

9. Very true. I believe that everybody has that feeling deep down that there's something bigger than us all. I truly believe in God because of experiences I've had, but I know other people have their doubts. And that's cool.. I just hate that each religion thinks that they're completely correct. Which I know is not true. I was raised as a Baptist but I don't claim it. I believe in God but I don't go to church. I pray as much as I can, not just when I need help. Hopefully somebody up there hears me lol

10. when we put a belief around an idea it becomes too rigid to grasp its infinite being.

11. Religion is an institutionalized way of thinking that takes you away from yourself and takes you away from your critical unique way of thinking.  It's actually counter-productive to humanity as a whole.  We were created as individuals, not as some group-think dronelike copy's who's able to tap into each others mindset's in concurrence or agreement.

God is not what man has made God out to be.  God was created by man in MAN'S image...and nothing could be further from the truth. 

12. Points well made and stated.

13. yes! this is the question i've asked myself my whole entire life. i guess i am a diest, too. my friends would always try to drag me to church and i always told them that my relationship with whomever is up there (God, as i address him) is extremely personal. if our creator does love us as much as perceived, he will be okay with me not conforming to society and having a connection with him one-on-one. i don't need a book to tell me how to live my life, organized religion planting rules and regulations about what i can/can't do, or a damn 1,000 year old man telling me i can't eat shrimp cause it's unholy. like homie im gonna eat shrimp cause it's fuckin' bomb in fettuccini.

14. people fight over the details of religion but always fail to realize they all serve the same purpose.

15. Me.. but my beliefs are more than just that.. I guess I am a Ihavenoideawhatthefuckisoutthereist Lol, does anyone know if there is an official name for this?

16. Ya, lol.. Religion is bullshit

17. What if there is more than one creator? I mean, Why wouldn't there be?

18. I created a thread that was related to this on the Philosophy forum.

I believe in a god, but not religion, and here's why.

Religion says there was this ultimate being, called GOD, that created everything we see today.

Science says there was this ultimate event, called singularity, that exploded to create everything we see today.

Both of these theories seem very compatible to me, and are basically the same. So yea, I guess I believe in a God.

But then religion goes on to say that the universe is only several thousand years old, that we all descended from two humans (incest anyone?), and that their God (whatever religion you may be) is the one true God. When you keep saying stupid things like that and believe it for fact, that's where you lose me.

19. #39 ChristopherABrown, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    I knew a Mormon that had given up on religion after many years. He pointed out something that was pretty interesting.

He said the word Bible meant "two lies". "Bi" being two and "ble" meant "parable".

Parable means something parallel to the truth, but not exactly it.

Meaning to me that the biblical issues you point out could be a very interesting puzzle referring to completely different things than we would derive from literal interpretation.