White male privilege?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ItsReneeYo_, Oct 21, 2014.

1. I think you have a pretty distorted view of the word "privilege". :laughing:

2. #542 Penelope420, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Being able to ignore societal issues like sexism and racism, IS privilege. It means you don't experience either on any level significant enough to affect your life.

The extrapolation from that is if those issues don't affect me, then they don't affect anyone else. And those who say they are affected by sexism or racism should just be ignored.

I think your head would have to be pretty far up your ass to think that doesn't come from a place of privilege... Being able to just ignore that which doesn't affect you.

ETA: let's add financial privilege in there too. It takes a pretty rich person to be able to ignore poverty.

that sounds like ignorance not privilege.

just because i am not affected by poverty doesn't mean i don't support charities.

people who may not be affected by racism often stand up against racist behavior. (i guess the same could be said about sexism).

4. I didn't say that people who have wealth don't support charity. That's obviously not true. Many wealthy people are very conscious of their privilege.

I said that having wealth gives one the *ability* to ignore it, if they choose.

Those who live in poverty, or who live paycheck to paycheck, don't have the privilege to "just ignore it".

5. How you react to circumstances beyond your control, like racism, is up to you.  The world isn't fair, someone always has it better than you.  Accept and be happy, whine and be bitter.  You chose.

6. I so love the life lessons I receive on GC.

You realize that I can be happy in life without having to just accept and ignore the parts that I don't like. Those are not mutually exclusive ideas.

But earlier you argued that it wasn't privilege that women could just ignore the fact that men got drafted for wars like Vietnam and just go on with their lives.

Don't those arguments seem contradictory to you at all?

8. One could argue the simple fact of being able to donate is a kind of privilege. Too many families in this country live paycheck to paycheck.

Sent via iPhone ✌️

9. No. Men in power made up the rules that prohibit women from seeing active combat.

Sent via iPhone ✌️

10. Why aren't women allowed to see combat? I've seen female soldiers before...

11. i agree and disagree with people who say things like live and let live, and you choose what affects you etc.

you can and cant ignore some things you go through. but if we decided to ignore what makes us uncomfortable or doesn't seem right than we wouldn't have had the woman's rights movement and civil rights etc.

you have to stay positive and strive for success even if someone is discriminating against you, but if the discrimination comes from the system that immediately affects you, you do have to advocate for change. 

when it comes to individuals discriminating, they're just ignorant fucks that you have to ignore. 

everyone has privilege and its outlined in many different ways, being american and Canadian is a privilege in itself. so continuously calling out groups of individuals for not acknowledging theirs is just stupid. 

i now understand that not being drafted is a privilege, and it is an inequality.
    men need to advocate for change just as much as women do, and alot of feminists i know do acknowledge this fact. especially when it comes to parental rights and criminal sentencing. 
    i also understand that a certain balance of inequalities will always exist, no matter what. we can not be perfectly equal. 

Your point? It's still a privilege by the definition of the word.
    Like I said you guys have a very weird idea of what a privilege is :laughing:

Thank you Renee, thank you.

I appreciate that you are open to seeing others' perspectives and changing your mind.

14. #554 Lenny., Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    I have the privilege of not getting into a gender pissing match in a Renee thread so I'm probably the most advantageous here. I didn't even have to work for that privilege.

Not meant to be offensive to Renee, I do enjoy her threads.

15. And why were women excluded from the draft?

It's hard to ignore the fact that women are seen as weaker and less capable.

16. "A Renee thread" should be put in the urban dictionary. Srsly. Lol

17. I think I'd like to damage my brain so I'm no longer intelligent enough to be infuriated by some of these comments X(

18. You're right but I was trying to say accept what you can't change, not what you don't like.  If you're a happy content person then you're living your life well.  Acceptance is the key to happiness.

It's hard to ignore that women are the weaker gender, but I agree that they should also be conscripted. Its arguable that without female participation in the Soviet Army, the allies would not have won the war on the Eastern Front. With modern technology, women are as capable as men in combat roles. I would argue that in past centuries this may have not been true, due to the sheer amount of weight required to be hauled as a soldier. Anyways, I still agree with you, women should be seen as equally capable to perform in combat roles in today's military and should also be conscripted for the sake of equality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_women_in_World_War_II

http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Files/Our%20future/LWSC%20Publications/AAJ/2010Winter/07-TheHistoryOfTheSoldiers.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA212050

20. that reminds me of something i  heard about a woman's focus compared to a mans or something along those lines.. strength wise we may not be able to compensate but in combat i heard women are capable of making better decisions. i bet we can be a pretty good focused shot. so snipers maybe? and what you mentioned as well.