LED over HPS/MH running costs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The_Green_Goblin, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Has anyone ever done a cost breakdown on LED v HID? Some of my plants look like they will flower early and will need to change to 12/12.

With one grow tent already running one 600w MH and 5 CFL's, I'm wondering what u could do to save money without lighting up the 400w and 4 more CFLs for a flowering tent for these ladies.. (Only two are getting to that growth point where they need the change).

Grow tent 1 - 600w cool tube. Inline fan, 5 CFLs (24w/1550lm), 30cm fan

Grow tent 2 - 400w cool tube, inline fan, 4-5cfls and 15cm fan.

Would I see decent savings if I switched to LED? And what brands/power should I take a gander at?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. What are the 240 watts of cfls for? I can't imagine they are that beneficial in addition to HID but I've never tried.

3. CFL's are for some side lighting. Just supplemental lumens so any hidden growth under the top leaves can get some lovin :) works a treat. Plants seem really happy. Whole grow tent is around 1000w light output for around 6-7 plants

4. #4 Peflora, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    In terms of energy comsumption, 400 watts is 400 watts, regardless of how it is generated, BUT...

Today's current crop of ~ 300w white leds can produce as many joules as a 1000w hps. However, they cost ~ $2.40/w

To break even, you need to look at > 3 grows of actual hps/hid costs- cooling, bulb replacement, and increased elec costs to cool

From that point on (essentially break even), you should get another 4-5 years of growing from the led before any appreciable degradation

5. Thank you so much for the insight and sharing the knowledge about LED's. For a HID guy, it's interesting to see all the new tech in lights coming out. Always looking to help my ladies :)