Nietzsche?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thislittleniggarighthere, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Anyone? I have so many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Like what?

3. Where's boats n hoes

4. Like what the fuck does he want from us? I mean in the immediate sense. I guess I should read Zarathustra first, but I just don't feel I'm ready yet and I want to make sure I get the most out of it. Anyone read it?

Uhhh, you're talking about Friedrich Nietzsche, correct?

6. Nietzsche's key ideas include the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy, perspectivism, the Will to Power, the "death of God", the Ãœbermensch and eternal recurrence. One of the key tenets of his philosophy is the concept of "life-affirmation," which embraces the realities of the world in which we live over the idea of a world beyond. It further champions the creative powers of the individual to strive beyond social, cultural, and moral contexts.<sup>[3]</sup>Nietzsche's attitude towards religion and morality was marked with atheismpsychologism and historism; he considered them to be human creations loaded with the error of confusing cause and effect.<sup>[4]</sup> His radical questioning of the value and objectivity of truth has been the focus of extensive commentary, and his influence remains substantial, particularly in the continental philosophical schools of existentialismpostmodernism, andpost-structuralism. His ideas of individual overcoming and transcendence beyond structure and context have had a profound impact on late-twentieth and early-twenty-first century thinkers, who have used these concepts as points of departure in the development of their philosophies.<sup>[5]</sup><sup>[6]</sup> Most recently, Nietzsche's reflections have been received in various philosophical approaches which move beyond humanism, e.g. transhumanism

All thanks to Wikipedia. 

8. That is exactly what I don't need. I'm hoping to get insight from someone who has as much interest in understanding him as I do. But fuck my questions and lets just talk about it. I understand that "The Will to Power" was not a finished work, and that's unfortunate because it is one of my favorites (I am holding off on reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra until I finish The Will To Power again), but in it he speaks of rearing a kind of "superhuman" while controlling the herd and of the duties of the scholar. He mentions that the Greeks and Romans were well on their way to doing the same thing. This is straight up acquiring territory and guiding evolution, correct?

9. nietzsche is dead

lololol

10. Hitler was a big fan of him

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. As I understand it, The Will to Power was an anthology of notebook scraps put together by his sister, an ardent Nazi supporter, and has been seen by quite a few scholars as a misrepresentation of Nietzsche's philosophy. If I were you, I'd probably check out Beyond Good and Evil and The Genealogy of Morality. But it doesn't seem like you're too far from the mark.

To be brief, Nietzsche believed the universe was a cold, miserable, meaningless place and the only way to make existence bearable was to construct lies. But not just any old lies would do. He wanted to use lies that would ultimately elevated this world and man's place in it. That's why he loved the Greek myths so much. They transformed the drudgery and pain of life into something beautiful and worthwhile. And with his proclamation of "God is dead", he was actually lamenting the fact that the guiding principal for mankind had been lost. Science and logic, to him, had rendered the Christian God irrelevant. This meant that people were now lost and desperate; that now was the time for a new guiding principal. But what would they turn to? Despite being a forerunner of relativism, Nietzsche was actually terrified of the idea of a moral free-for-all. And unlike his contemporary, Max Stirner (another philosopher I think you just give a look at) who reveled in his nihilism, Nietzsche wanted something more. Essentially, Nietzsche wanted to turn art into man's new religion.

Is this a good starting point for discussion? I'm actually a big fan of Nietzsche, even though I disagree with him on almost everything.

12. Yeah, this is perfect. I have read the genealogy of morals, as well as beyond good and evil. Although, I read beyond good and evil first, and I feel that this was a mistake. I happen to agree with most of nietzsche's philosophy. I guess what I am looking for is a better understanding of how to live day to day as nietzsche would have someone like me live.

I think the first thing that he would say to you, is, it is not for him to determine how you are to em-POWER your own perspective and will; lest you be an embodiment of that which he denigrates.

"Now I go alone, my disciples, You too, go now, alone. Thus I want it. Go away from me and resist Zarathustra! And even better: be ashamed of him! Perhaps he deceived you. The man of knowledge must not only love his enemies, he must be able to hate his friends. One repays a teacher badly if one always remains nothing but a student. And why do you not want to pluck at my wreath? You revere me; but what if your reverence tumbles one day? Beware lest a statue slay you. You say that you believe in Zarathustra? But what matters Zarathustra? You are my believers-but what matter all believers? You have not yet sought yourselves; and you found me. Thus do all believers; therefore all faith amounts to so little. Now I bid you lose me and find yourselves; and only when you have all denied me will I return to you.”

Is that where Hitler and the Nazis got nihilism?

This is why I choose to believe my biological father abandoned me.

I wonder if the drug addict is still alive or if his physical blindness has driven him insane.

If he's dead he can finally hear me. Finally see me.

16. Right on. I believe he quoted the same thing in one of his other works. Thanks for the reminder. I have to read Thus Spoke Zarathustra. If your biological father isn't dead, maybe you'll run into him sometime. I have known plenty of drug addicts who are capable of that kind of insight ( I'm currently dating one ).

17. No, Mary-Lou Nietzche.