First grow, your opinion.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CANandProud420, Oct 21, 2014.

1. cheap setup but im glad im on the right track, the stem grew 4x longer in a day i didnt expect it. though, next time ill actually follow steps i have missed to ensure better chances for now ill take any advice and apply it if i can

2 questions - for 15 or 20w is the distance of 3 - 4 inches from the sprout too close ive got a cfl within that distance, other cfl are around 6 inches to the sprout ? 

biggest question - how can i hang my lights like everyone else in their grow pics? (I have a flat wall and when i hung the lights from it the lights were touching with the wall is that ok?)  ps cant do holes and modifications on the wall except screws and nails tacks and i want to start adding more lights for a quicker grow 

thanks for the kind words and great opinions its helping lots ill post another picture around 4pm my time to show 24hour comparrasion from my last pic

2. that answers my question sortof except now that somethings growing i cant place the lights that close to the dirt without direct contact from lights&sprout how  many inches between lights and tip of the plant gives best results

3. #43 brixfix, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    I wouldn't have the actual bulb touching the wall, sounds dangerous CFLs don't put of much heat but they do put off heat.
    Rig up some sort of frame or something to suspend it from. As far as the distance I'm using CFLs to get plants started in veg before going under my hid light. CFLs can be close because they don't put off to much heat. Pay attention to your plants, they'll tell you. Here's a 40 actual watt cfl around 2-3 inches away. I'll set them to around 2.5-3 inches and let them grow to about 1.5 inches from the plant. That's what works for me, try it out if its too close move them up an inch.

4. Maybe this will help. I know its hard to see. This is where I start my experimental plants I want to keep separate from my main grow. What I did to get the light away from the wall was wrap the cord around the shelf and doubled it over onto itself. Then used the clip from the light to hold the cord. A bit hillbilly i admit but it works for my purpose.May not be useful for you but might get your imaginative juices flowing

Attached Files:

5. i tested it put the lights 1.5 - 2 inches to the sprout and no burns after 2 days and shes not stretching anymore thats good because i noticed the other day she almost fell over! heres some pics should i add a little more soil to burry some of the lenght and give more balance or does it look like its suppose to? oh and does it look like it needs to be put in a larger container or not yet? thanks for your insight on this subject

Attached Files:

6. 8 days old today! i got 2nd girl same age but half the size tho i dont get it

7. just updating pics, 15 days old, 11 days old, and 3 days old, 

Also jw im going away for 3 days ive bought a drip system so water should be fine how many inches extra should i lift my lights so my plants dont grow into them?

Attached Files:

8. #48 GrowTrees, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
    Dont lift them up too much or they will stretch, I would say maybe about 5-6 inches from the plant. If you watch how much it grows in a day then you can get an idea of how much it will grow over 3 days.

9. Thanks and i was gone 4 days and when i came back all my lights fell into the potts lol was holding them with duct tape stupid of me 1 of the got pretty burnt while the oldest one just grew like crazy and didnt get burnt.

Do i cut the burnt leaves or let em fall on their own?

oh and upgraded my set up hows it look? 

20 days old, 16 days old and a week old or something, pics below.

Attached Files:

10. Looks good bro, I would just leave them and let them grow. Unless the leaf is crispy and obviously not coming back then just cut the dead part off

11. Thanks for the feedback dude ill just leave em alone with a bit of water and let em do their thing since my new setup has proper hold on the lights so this cant happen again.

I was wondering someone told me i can grow them without any nutes at all from seedling to harvest this true?

12. I'd say still not an optimal light setup, heres is how i have mine. its like a ribcage of light surrounding the plants

Attached Files:

13. #53 GrowTrees, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah you can grow it without nutrients but you should use a bloom nutrient during flower, they aren't too expensive. What color temp. are those lights? You want 5000k-6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. Those look like flower bulbs to me, either way it will work I guess. The 2700k are supposed to make them stretch

14. looks good and yeah i agree but i got 3 extra holes for 3 more set of lights on the top piece of my grow box and going to buy into a few more 40 w cfls, using 4 40w, 4 26s, 2 23s , 2 13s so far and with a 3rd girl getting there i need more def, thanks for the pic ill add an extra 80 actual watts to each girl at 2 40 w each like you got it placed

15. Yeah i only have the 6 plugged in ATM, but i have 16 of those light bulbs ready to get plugged in. these seedlings wont need the extra light for a couple weeks. my box is going to have lights installed all around the inside of the box, not just from above. like a tower or fence of light. i'll post pics on my grow journal soon. 

16. wow i didnt notice one of my 40 w are soft white other 3 are daylight so that should be a problem right? rest are daylights too and yeah between 5000- 6200 is what i got except for the one 2700k  not sure about the 13w one but im sure ill replace em soon, thanks for making me check through my lights didnt  realise i bought a soft white yet 

17. Yeah that will work fine

18. ★ s A t I v A ★ wow thanks 

Joghorn ill check it out when you post good luck with everything 

GrowTrees thanks ill leave em do their thing since everything seems to be alright

19. update of the girls getting there for sure, what do you guys think?

Attached Files: