First grow, your opinion.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CANandProud420, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Like this? new pic btw

Attached Files:

2. Get the CFLs in front of the soft whites. Or square them up so all 4 lights are around it. At LEAST 3-4 inches from soil works for me.

3. i restarted with 2 seed im using premier potting soil its got perlite and has no numbers anyone tried it before? how many cfl would I need for 2 plants based on your experience for best results im using 4 soft whites 60w cfls and 4 60w daylight cfls? 

ps my lights say 15w but equals 60w which one is the right number?

4. Never tried it, still better then Miracle Gro. Lights: you get what you pay for. 42w (150w equivalent) is the best. For 2 plants: 8 total In veg, but inseedling, you're fine.

5. #25 brixfix, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
    I doubt hose are actual 60watt CFLs. They're too small for that. 60 watt is probably the equivalent watt which means nothing. That 40 watt I showed you the box for is 3 times the size of those bulbs. They're probably along the lines of 15 watts. All total you might have somewhere along the lines of around 60 watts give or take. It might work for now but won't be enough for long. And get the 6500 k lights the closest thats the most needed spectrum at the moment. The 6500k cfls need to be closer unless theres a heat problem.I see you still have my favorite grow table cover. Did you at least scrape the condiments off, wouldn't want no mayonnaise spoiling....although it might give a funk to your plant.....just messing around

6. #26 brixfix, Oct 23, 2014
    2 inches .....1 bulb with about the same watts as all 4 of yours. I don't know why people mess around with those 13-23 watts for the same price as 4-6 of them you can get 1-2 of these and have more lumens. That bulb was like $4 at Menard's. You're not saving anymore money your actually loosing money. The more bulbs you need the more fixtures, cords, power, spliters everything. This plant is an experiment or I would have a larger bulb or at least a 2nd one of those.

Attached Files:

7. You can use those 60 watt equivalent CFLs, but only if you make your grow space smaller. I would keep the plants 3-4" away. Unless you plan on growing ginormous plants, you don't need the extra energy expenditure of higher wattage bulbs; if you are using the same wattage as the bigger bulbs though then it would just be easier to go with that, although personally I would just use what you already have.

Unless that soil is proper seed starting mix, I would not use it. Get yourself some proper seed starting mix, Jiffy mix works fine. Take the remaining seed starting mix and recycle it into this soil mix, but leave out the peat moss and lime. When the plants are a couple of inches tall, transplant them into said organic mix.

As for watering, give your pot/cup a good watering until you see run off, pick it up and make sure of the weight (or weight it). Then water again when it is significantly lighter. Easy peasy. Just used filtered water and forget about PH-ing the water b/c that doesn't apply to soil grows (only the soil PH matters).

That's not necessarily true. The light output varies from bulb to bulb. You can still get more lumens from multiple 10W bulbs than a single 40W, depending on the bulb. The specs vary from product to product. The other advantage is longer life and better light coverage.

9. Invest in 3 more CFL bulbs. 1 more 6500k, 2 more 2700k. That'll be almost 100w for 1 plant which'll be right on the spot.

10. #30 treesonthisgreenearth, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    There is a thread on ICMag called "Compact SOG with CFL's" that is a great read about microgrows in small space. This guy actually uses 42W bulbs, so that is something to think about.

Also as for lighting, 24/0 is overkill. Plants need rest. If you don't need large plants, I would go 12/12 right off the bat. Otherwise 18/6 for a couple of weeks, then 12/12.

This is the little cardboard box that I use to start any plant in my garden. It's maybe 1.5ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft. Those are 60W equivalent CFLs.

[​IMG]

11. In a set up like that maybe. I don't micro grow nor have I been around one and that's not what this guy is doing anyways. Look at what he has. Most of the light from his bulbs aren't even directed to the container. He doesn't have a micro grow, he doesn't have any kind of enclosure at all. Let alone mylar 1 larger bulb directed at what he has will beat out 4 bulbs pointed away any day of the week You just told him to consider a 42 watt bulb, exactly what I've been saying from the start. Exactly to the T

Got a question, how can the pH of the water in a soil grow not matter? If your using shit water with a pH of let's say 8.2 which is what my tap water is, what do you think is going to happen to the soil? Lets say the soil is an even 6.0 to keep it simple. Are you saying go ahead and use the 8.2? I can tell you from personal experience it does matter. The 8.2 water will raise the soil ph in just a watering or 2. Ive had it happen, till the guy that helped me showed me the importance of ph in a soil grow i struggled. No disrespect but if you keep the pH in check from the start it will save big headaches down the road. Especially for someone just starting out, no since in giving them another obstacle to eventually deal with

I told him to consider it only if he is going to go up in wattage. He can still use what he has already.

Looks to me like he is starting seeds on a dining table, which probably means he's going to move it somewhere else. I am just point out that yes you can use normal CFLs.

A properly mixed organic soil has the ability to buffer against potential PH changes from acid/alkaline water. When signs of PH issues arise, typically adding more organic matter and/or PH adjusting amendments like lime (increase ph) or sulfur/peat (lower ph) brings things back into balance. I am not saying PH in a soil grow is not important, I am only saying that adjusting PH in water for organic grows is one extra step that is not necessary.

13. #33 brixfix, Oct 23, 2014
    I never said he couldn't use smaller lights, it just makes more sense in his set up as he has it now to direct 1 higher watt light on the plant rather then 4 lights spread out way too high that are wasting lumens. Where's there any mention of moving his plant into a smaller reflective micro grow?
    As far as the pH goes, ya if he had properly mixed organic soil pH may not be an issue. You're reply earlier said ph didn't matter, not that it matters sometimes and other times it may not be such a big deal. So by your advice given the 1st time, he'll go on his way thinking ph doesn't matter and may possibly use shit water thinking its just fine on the soil he has raising or lowering the pH. In my line of work, we preach start right to stay right, not start wrong so you can correct it later.
    Does he have properly mixed organic soil? No.... Does everyone have properly mixed organic soil? No....has he moved or mentioned moving it into a nice smaller reflective micro grow or moving at all? No.....maybe his plan is to just move it off the table and set it on the floor, how the heck do we know.
    Why give advice that doesn't pertain to what he has? Other then add confusion to a new grower and set him up for failure, there's no point to it. Its like giving a vegetarian advice on grilling a steak.

I never said that you said he couldn't use smaller lights (see where this is going?). All I did was comment that, yes he can in fact use smaller lights. His setup doesn't even looking complete yet, so he has wiggle room to do what he wants.

On the matter of PH here is what I said:

I said water PH doesn't matter.

Which applied to the rest of my post regarding what I personally would do (with soil), since it would appear he is using soil (miracle grow) and will probably be sticking with soil. Was only a suggestion, directed towards the OP to help him keep it simple and started on the right foot, based on my own experience with an in-ground and container garden. He still has time to decide how he wants to proceed (ie: mix his own organic mix, or switch over to hydro)

I really don't see how my post was at all confusing.

You know the great thing about soil is it's a living, breathing, constantly changing medium. You don't have to "start out right an stay right" b/c you'll always be making changes as you go.

Anyway, we could go at this all day, but I'll just let it end here. To each his own.

OP, since it really does look like you are using soil, check our the organics section of the forum (and check out the numerous soil sites around the web not related to canna too!). They'll get you squared.

15. #35 brixfix, Oct 23, 2014
    its not going anywhere, its confusing to a new grower because its advice for what he doesn't have. He started off with regular light bulbs, wrong soil and a subway wrapper. Does it look like organic soil or hydro is on the agenda. Doesn't " start right to stay right" mean pretty much the same as "starting on the right foot"?

16. Op water pH with what you have does matter, if you should so choose to switch to properly mixed organic soil, pH may not become an issue. As with how you have things now at this moment keep your pH in check because the soil that you have and are using at this time will not do it for you.

17. Soil maybe a little bit more tolerant of ph shifts but if you dump 8ph in a container for knowledge in the along with 4.2 if you are using Fox farm nutes it will make it swing out of the green zone. All a new grower needs to know is get a fish tank ph test kit the drop kind. Check water you are using now and than again every so often. If you are using nutrients at some point later always check ph after mixing the nutrients with water. You can get a digital meter for like fifteen dollars Amazon. Drops work fine though.
    However this new grower is a little denser so all he needs to worry about is getting the right bulbs. Listen to above cfl advice write it down take it to your hardware store the type contractors use. Ask for help they will find the right product for you. Next time I can see hid lights in your future less diy.

18. thanks everyone just a quick update pic let me know what u think ill be bk on in few days busy

Attached Files:

19. Looking better man, your on your way to growing some Mary Jane.

20. You're getting the hang of it faster than I did. Lol. It took me about a year to even know a assisting website like this existed. You be a pro in no time! Happy Growing, my friend!