Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by Malt Teezer, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Those pipes unfortunately are not real meerschaum. Real meerschaum is definitely more expensive and when new aren't glossy. That looks a lot like bonded meerschaum, basically powdered meerschaum mixed with various resins to give a similar look but definitely not the same performance.

Real meerschaum when new is flat white. There's no coating put on it inside or out to let it absorb the tobacco tars and combustion heat rapidly while smoking. This gives meerschaum the relatively cool smoke it's known for.

A similar smoking experience is a well seasoned corncob pipe. The leftover ash builds up a layer of porous ash and the dry corncob also absorbs moisture. Like meerschaum and corn cob it's important to not chain smoke the pipes back to back as excessive moisture that hasn't evaporated in the pipes can crack or damage the corncob or meerschaum.

Oh and I highly recommend a corn cob pipe to smoke weed out of. For the inevitable oddly shaped and drilled bowl, the best recomendation is to find or smoke a few cigars and make a pipe cement out of white cigar ashes and a couple drops of water. It'll make a paste and can fill a bowl's irregularities and even patch minor holes in the pipe.

Combine a decent corncob pipe and paper filter in the stem and you've got probably the smoothest pipe smoke you'll ever smoke. And they're dirt cheap.

2. I work at a humidor and smoke shop. Our owner stands more on cigars and roll your own cigarettes than any other items. But, we carry a full line of what we call "fireplace pipes"....
    Think Sherlock Holmes or even grandpa in his favorite chair by the fire.
    Anyway.... We carry these pipes.
    They are nice, they are cute, they are a conversation piece but, they are very poorly made. Very thin walls to the bowl, stem is cheap plastic and the hole in the bowl/stem is so tiny it will not hold a pipe filter.
    We also carry corncobs and VERY expensive German pipes. (No glass though, owner does not want the stigma of being a head shop)
    My point is, you get what you pay for but, you also get out what you put in.
    Like mentioned above, you can smoke wonderfully from a corncob. If you do it right, keep it clean etcetera, a pipe will smoke well for a very long time. But, don't expect a small, badly made pipe to give much back to you in return.
    I suggest you go to a smoke shop and handle the pipes to get a feel for them. You can tell by feel if it is a cheaply made piece of junk.

Pink and fluffy!