Symphytum: The Comfrey Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by donothinggardening, Oct 21, 2014.

1. I know Coe recommends letting the plant have a couple years in the ground before you separate crowns.
    The dude also recommends wearing a foil cap, though, so....
    If this is the first year you planted it, I'd still wait til next year at least to divi it up.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Cen_Cal_Care

My bad - I didn't realize that you just planted your comfrey roots this year. Please take Anatman's advice and hold off taking any root cuts until this time next year.

BTW - how tall are the flower stalks?

CC

3. The ones I had now were from crowns that only spent 6 months in ground before the got the chop.

These plants are amazing I'm sure he has reasoning behind waiting 1 year but I can't wait lol
    Don't have a tape on me but to guess 3 inches so far

4. I just searched very little about waiting a year do either of you have a link I'd love to do some research on it thanks in advanced

5. Thanks Coot. I was unaware of the volume they sell.

6. My Comfrey is about ready for a second cutting already. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. I'm trying to find some convincing authority that says it, but I'm really going off intuition and what's been passed down the grapevine. My comfrey plants the 2nd year are much more massive in every way than the first. This makes me believe the crown is much more substantial and has more to separate,and I believe waiting a year is recommended to allow the root system to develop better, also leading to a more 'substantial' crown.

I would wait, but, then again, I'm sure there's a lot of things I do that you wouldn't and vice versa. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. I completely agree with that. I'm sure as with almost any plant the longer you wait the more massive the root system shall be. But when people ask you for roots and you are super excited to spread this beautiful cultivar to everyone pulling one plant is worth it to me.

I'm excited to see all of my friend finally get some comfrey if they could afford to order from HH I'd tell them too but free comfrey no one can pass that deal :)

9. When I ordered mine some years back, they had to wait for the ground to dry enough so they could get in there and dig. If they said it's coming, it's coming.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  10. It's all good Wet. I am patient....... with some Blue Dream. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. As long as 'it''s not a woman [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. What research? Common sense and good gardening practices should be enough to not dig up and try and divide a plant that is nowhere ready to be divided.

But, dig one up and see for yourself. Everyone telling you not to might be totally wrong.

Wet

13. #353 Cen_Cal_Care, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
    I'm not saying they are right or wrong from my experience cutting up a new crown still causes no harm
    I don't know where you are coming from with your comments sense post like I've said I do understand why some would wait a year but it's not necessary

I've already dug it up and it has plenty of root I can guarantee I will make at least 20 plants out of it

• Like Like x 2
  14. #354 Chunk, May 23, 2015

It's impossible to kill your comfrey and I don't think you'll have problem dividing it early. It will take quite some time for it to rebound but I'd be confident in saying by the end of summer your plants will be well established.

I've taken 1 1/2" root pieces with one or two root hairs on them and had vigorous plants going in less than 2 months.

These are at about 3 weeks:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  15. #355 buckwheathulls, May 23, 2015
    They have a 2 to 3 week response time After you make your order. But after they send you a shipping confirmation email the roots will be there quick. I live in the central plains and they are here the third day.

Spring is there busy time of year. I'm waiting on my Holy Basil seeds I ordered a while back also.

They must be on the same horse as your roots. Lol

BTW, I'm ready for my first harvest this year. I put the roots in the ground and they took off. Big, deep green and very large. Should be a couple 5 gallons dry or close to it. I'll cut them this weekend. Just in time to set up a new static bin.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #356 over dere, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

We're Horizon Herbs, LLC, located in the town of Williams in Southern Oregon. Back in 1985 our family (the Cech family, pronounced "check") started growing gardens of diverse medicinal herbs, and because we were fascinated by seeds, and at the same time couldn't find seeds for many of the plants we were interested in, we started collecting seeds and selling them through a homey hand illustrated catalog. 

The first catalog featured then 8-year-old daughter Nadja's drawing of a Calendula flower on the front. We still have a copy of that catalog kicking around somewhere!? Many seasons have come and gone, always moving us a bit closer to our goal of understanding the appropriate habitats, germination requirements, life cycles and uses of this totally diverse offering of fascinating medicinal herb, permaculture and vegetable plants. Our children have grown and now that they have children of their own. 

By the grace of Great Nature, we still work together here on the farm, making use of the talents of each member--design and construction, gardening and seedwork, art and photography, writing, poetry, laughter, crying--it's all there! "Mayche" is the Mom. She has a warm heart and a sharp mind. Richo is her sweetie, the main guy, who sometimes goes by the grandfatherly name of "Pops". He travels (mainly to his beloved Africa) to find rare and unusual medicinal herb seeds and grows them out in our state certified greenhouses and intensively cultivated and cover cropped fields and gardens. 

In time, we harvest, winnow, clean, weigh, lot number, germ test and package the seeds. Now that the farm and business have grown, we rely on a really great team of local folks to help us get the seeds and herbs out to the people, seeds nourished by our homegrown compost, pure mountain air and water, our love and our breath. We believe in what we do, and we believe in you. 

May you eat yummily right out of the garden, and heal yourselves always with good wholesome herbs. In the light of the sun and the glow of the moon, may you love and be loved. Consider the tree, growing from the soil of its own making, offering its shade, its wood, its oxygen, its fruits to all beings that come into contact with it. The tree does all this without asking for anything in return. It gives forth this bounty into the universe, and in exchange the universe gives the tree its place on earth. 

May we all be like the trees, and give without asking for anything in return, and thereby receive--our place in the garden. 

Love to you and welcome, oh welcome, to Horizon Herbs. 

Love, the Cech Family 

• Like Like x 9
  17. I have read this when I first started using them through your suggestion a few years back.

I was impressed then and now. Almost everything in my garden is from them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Keep us informed, this is interesting. Like Chunk mentioned, I know they are next to impossable to kill, but never thought the roots would develop quite THAT fast.

20 plants from a plant that young is amazing AFA propagation goes. My 12-4 YO plants provide more than enough for 2 worm bins and a boatload of top dressing for the gardens and mixes. But boy, if I ever needed more .....

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  19. I will update here with my experiments I think what I will do is stick one in a highly amended hole then another in some dead dirt dig both up in six months and see which has a better root system for cuttings

My thought process on this is the one in dirt will have deeper roots seeing as it has to search more.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Update
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2