What is American culture?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ItsReneeYo_, Oct 20, 2014.

1. What is culture to you? Your definition of "white" culture and "black" culture, or American culture as a whole. Is black culture American culture? Is white culture American culture? Is their even an American culture?

Personally I think all cultures are skin deep ingrained beliefs. Humans love association, it's in their nature to want to be a part of a group or ideal, but is culture more than just a group and ideal?

To an extent "black americans don't really have a knowing of their roots outside African, they don't know for the most part which tribe they came from. They built their culture from what they retained and accumulated together as slaves
    white american culture comes from europe but it has assimiated since. You don't see much italian, irish or slavic (not white) culture by itself".

I think it's silly to be proud of ones "culture". Why be proud of something you aren't really sure of. I think white people definitely know their roots much better than most black people. All we have ever known is that we are African. Funny thing is I'm supposedly French Irish Indian and African American. But it's a norm to just say meh, I'm black.

Matter of fact, my sister can pass as a Dominican, and she won't correct someone if they assume she's Spanish, she's the president of the Spanish speaking club. She's very fluent, watches Hispanic soccer, Hispanic dramas on television etc. she is proud of being what she isn't, but I don't think because she comes from something, it makes her less of anything she associates herself with. That's why I believe culture is subjective, if it's not scientific.

But If culture is neither subjective or scientific, what is it? Some unmeasured anomaly?

What do you think?

2. Jazz, music and culture. Fine if some want to call it "Black," and not to take anything away from Black musicians. But jazz is really an American cultural thing to me.

3. American culture in my eyes can be described as waking up, working a hard long day and then relaxing with a tv, brew, joint and just enjoying what you have created with the ones you love.

Tuckerjonesisreal

4. american culture to me doesnt really have anything to do with color or race. its basically just freedom, cheesburgers and fries, hollywood, obsessed with violence, non stop celebrity gossip and any material thing you can think of. thats basically american culture to me.

5. Constant entertainment and deliciously unhealthy food.

6. #7 Rotties4Ever, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

the production of war criminals...

7. America has one of the youngest cultures around, basically it absorbs other cultures and melts it into what we have today.

8. I've thought about culture before...I'm pretty stoned atm to regain that in all honesty lol

What I do know is Culture consists of the beliefs, behaviors, objects, and other characteristics common to the members of a particular group or society. Through culture, people and groups define themselves, conform to society's shared values, and contribute to society. Thus, culture includes many societal aspects: language, customs, values, norms, mores, rules, tools, technologies, products, organizations, and institutions. This latter term institution refers to clusters of rules and cultural meanings associated with specific social activities. Common institutions are the family, education, religion, work, and health care.
    -ty google and original writer

9. TV and internet

10. #11 Carne Seca, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    Funny how everyone forgets the Native Americans.  Yes, it is a culture.  A very old one.

11. Most counties are very homogenous and this tends to create a 'collective' culture that is engrained in the history of their society. American culture is the most unique in the world....it consists of the non homogenous collective...each adding to it to make something truly beautiful. All said, it still thrives with people that innovate, work hard, make their own way through productivity and diversity.

12. who?

Jjkksss. But really there is a difference when culture is defined by short lived things that are "cool" and long lasting traditions spanning centuries. That being said in one sense it's cool to see unchanged cultural norms, on the other...move the fuck on and be constantly evolving. If we were to all realize the setbacks we have from continuing the old, perhaps outdated practices and step out to truly become ourselves, never defined by some kind of a label...we would be better off. Losing cultural norms would suck because I think that stuff is cool tho lol.

13. American culture is made up of several worldwide races. You go to school, get a degree in business, start up microsoft or walmart or exxon. Make billions. Use your money in congress to protect your investment. Donate to the big war machine. And do not give a fllyin fuck about the end user beyond thier wallets. That's American culture today.

14. I feel like culture in a sense is subjective and unnecessary. Certain aspects of it like language of course is necessary, but people nowadays are experiencing a mix of a bunch of ideals, religions, foods, communications etc.

but culture is still a little confusing to me, I'm trying to put it in a subjective/scientific viewpoint but I can't seem to figure it out.

15. haven't listened in forever, but i'm sure this guy covered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYB0VW5x8fI

16. There add sub cultures of coarse but I think there are some.common traits of "American" culture

Like an addiction to convenience and decadence

-yuri

17. I think there are multiple American Cultures and it all depends your frame of reference. For myself the American Dream to me means work hard, develop a skill set, abide by whatever rules our society has throw in some luck and things should work out. They have for myself, and most of my family.

I think alot of things are self imposed cultures. Say the split from white, black, gays, straights. The very act of labeling one self sets you apart.

Your also tackling a issue on a macro level. There sub cultures within subcultures. I live out west but I grew up in Savannah. That place is a whole different world to live in then where I presently live. Go to NY City and there culture is unique to that area.

Societies of every walk, in every era had a "Culture". It is what defines that generation. 100 years from now it might be the Tin Hat Culture but it will be a culture.

18. American culture includes sports, music, movies, food, etc. America does have a great culture especially because of the fact that it's such a melting pot of different cultures due to many generations of immigration.

American movies are great (overall), tons of awesome American bands, shit like that. People love to hate on America but for now it's one of the better places to live still (again in general).

I do like my Canada better though, although we have problems too.