Lets talk about parents

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by AgeOfParanoia, Oct 18, 2014.

1. #21 Annicus, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    My family let me down however you aren't in the world to make someone else proud, fuck that noise.

2. End of the universe.. thanks for that.

It really depends on how close you are to your parents. I don't really have any regrets, I was never really close. Mom is a schizo and my dad wanted me to be a hunting/sports guy.. but I was more into math and science. You could say I let my dad down by not following in his footsteps, but that's not really my fault.. I am who I am. If a parent is ashamed of you, that just means they're thinking more about themselves than you. Do I wish I had a "normal" parental unit? Sure, but in the same way I wish I had a spaceship and was out exploring space.

3. It's really not all that hard dear. Can you walk up behind her and give her a hug? Tell her you love her? Tell her she's doing a great job raising you? As a parent of 2 who are probably older than you, I can tell you that little things like this are huge. Especially after long days and thru tough times. Do it now, while you still can. Not a day goes by I don't miss my folks.

Yup, once they're gone your life takes on a whole new perspective. You suddenly realize how mortal we all are, and that our turn is coming. This slapped me in the face at our first family gathering without my parents -- I realized that my sisters and I were now the oldest generation.

We are the next to drop off one by one, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet.

5. Yeah, my sister recently told me that "we're the old folks now". I told her to use the word "elder". I don't feel old yet. My body does, but I don't. :)

Yup, I know what you mean. After a certain amount of time, our bodies wear out just like an old car.

7. #27 y u zi zi, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Im at the point in my life where i dont need either 1 in my life to be happy. I am comfortable with 2 conversations via phone per year. I just do not enjoy talking to my mother she doesnt get me, i feel ingenuine when we talk because i really dont care about anything that is being said and that isnt a good feeling because i know she just wants to let me know she loves me and wants to catch up on one anothers lives butive heard it all before and i just dgaf