Grow Op Troubles

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DropAcid_Not_Bombs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. I'm not worried about glowing, I run lights at night so nobody would ever be in there. I can pick up some mylar. Just want it to blend in, in case someone opens the door during the day. Which I doubt ever happens but better to be prepared. They'll be moved to the tent way before smell becomes an issue.

2. That should work fine then. Good luck on your op man!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413644064.527295.jpg
    If you guys look close enough there's little white dots on the stem and the are like little bumps, is this normal?
    Also I have some pictures of the plant I took just today. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413644132.290394.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413644158.098691.jpg

4. Is it mylar or tin that you used?

5. I couldn't get my hands on any Mylar so I used tin foil instead and it seems to reflect the light well enough. I plan on eventually getting some Mylar though.

6. I came across this when doing research when I was setting up my grow. 
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-designsetup/165331-getting-most-your-lights.html

Not saying you weren't already aware of this. Just sharing, just incase.

7. Thanks for the help! I knew some of that but not all, that was actually very helpful. The part about the hot spots could possibly be the reason my plant is a little scorched on some parts and perfectly fine on other parts. I do have a card and pretty soon I'll be ordering a BIG box full of some more supplies. Definitely adding Mylar to the list now! I guess the foil will do in the mean time but I wanna get that changed soon.

8. What do you think would be better? Mylar blankets or a Mylar roll?

9. The roll, comes in much better condition. Probably easier to use too. 

10. Ok thanks! Any ideas on some other stuff I should invest in? Right now I have 7 items (including the Mylar roll). I've got a digital temp/humidity gauge, a digital programmable timer, fox farm happy frog potting soil, 5 gallon smart pot, adjustable ratchet fixture hangers for adjusting my light as needed, and perlite. I'm guna be ordering more stuff over time as needed but for now I think that mainly all I need. If anyone has some ideas just leme know.

11. thanks not far out till my 1st harvest

Attached Files:

12. Damn those plants are looking pretty sexy! I bet you're stoked to harvest them soon.

13. Have 5 weeks or so but ya I'm stoked ..thanx

14. White dots on stem are the plant starting to grow roots in the air because of high humidity. Not a lot to worry about but it is a good sign that your moisture levels in your grow are to high. Also you should get a smaller storage tote cut a hole in it put the window fan in that. Cut a ducting hole in main rubbermaid two join the two together and use window fan to suck air out of main tub. Ghetto inline basically I don't think your venting is channeling your air energy very well. I would tart flowering that plant really soon. Mj gets tall so keeping it small means almost no veg time.

15. Ok thanks! Thats all very helpful. I will def tune down the humidity. I usually dont keep it as humid as I am now but I wasnt sure what to do because of the plants discoloration and driness so I thought maybe a litttle extra humidity would help compensate. I did a little trimming and adjusting and my plant is actually doing much better. I will definately try to figure something out so that the ventilztion is a little better. Do you think exauste or intake would be better? I thought about doing both but it seems a little unneccisary for such a small grow with one plant. Im also planning on putting some venting in the top bin to take away some of the heat from the light. I think im guna use a smaller bin, hook vents up to it, hook vents up to the bin containging the plant and the bin containging the light, hook the fan up to the lid and have the fan sucking air from both bins that way. I also think Im guna switch my 150hps to a 125 or 250 cfl to help with my heat troubles. I have a few Ideas but I think Im guna give it at least a few weeks of veg. There are trimming methods to keeping a plant bushy and on top of that its a mainly indica strain so it shouldnt get too tall, if I need to make changes to my op to accomidate plant height I will. If anyone has any input on any of my ideas or have some ideas of their own just let me know.

16. #37 tmntgrower, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
    I wouldn't switch to the cfl unless you try exhausting the storage tote and still can't get heat down. Watt for watt hid lighting is king, said different watt to grow power hid lighting is much more effective than cfl. 150w hps/mh is creating more light energy your plant can use than 150w cfl will. Watt is also an expression of heat energy created, so cfl bulbs maybe be cooler but the ballast inside of the cfl does create heat. If your hid lighting ballast is inside of your grow box take it out today. Run wires in but keep ballast out that will help temps. Exhausting a grow area is much more effective than pushing air in for both air movement and temp control. You need to pull air out, and create passive air intakes in your grow tote. I.e cut vent holes in the back of tote so you don't create a vaccum inside of there. Proper air movement is key to co2 exchange so even if you are using cfl you need to change the air inside of tote. Plants breathe co2 let out oxygen, this is why we use oscillating fans on the girls. It moves the air around the leaves allowing for fresh co2 to be consumed, now that we know that you can see its key to change air in your box. Unless of course you are supplying co2 with a release system but that's crazy talk in your small setup. I honestly feel if you create a tunnel with window fan and a secondary tote you can achieve both heat control and co2 exchange. Ducting with a window fan can not be effective in the manner you are attempting. It is not design to pull air through a duct straight up not effective. You could though as you suggest cut holes in the top of your tote above light. Get a new small tote cut two ends out of it. Seal the window fan into one end, set the other open end above your grow area with said holes cut above light. Now you have a modified wind tunnel and it should yank air out. Cut some breathing holes in the backside bottom of your grow area so the tote can breathe and not become a vacuum.
    I think this would be an epic setup to see, in theory I know it works but in practice it would be fing cool to see in action. For the love of God do not use cfl unless you can't get below 86 f and keep humidity at like 40-70 range for veg. Trimming to keep plant low is not what I would recommend. You can top a plant two times for a total of four tops. Tie that girls down lst training is where it is at. You want to stress your girl as little as possible the more you cut her the more shock your putting on her.
    Photo is what my girls looked like right before flowering. I have also built 4 grow rooms st this point. Never built a storage tote grow op but same rules apply. I apologize for writing a book here I tend to be long winded in my posts.

Attached Files:

17. Don't apologize! I actually really appreciate the feed back and I will definitely use some of your ideas when I'm make changes to the op. I will keep you guys updated on the op and let you know how the plant is doing. I'll definitely be doing some brain storming tonight to come up with something that will work good. Maybe I'll draw and post a few diagrams ?

18. Idea. Leave the hole near bottom and create a labyrinth box. Make slits in the top of the totes lay the window fan on it pointing out. Creates a small vacuum. The air setup as it was was just pushing air in which even as it was wouldn't be able to push the air in because there's no outlet so it would build pressure and any extra air would just disperse into leaks or not be pushed through at all

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum