Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by cmgreenonetwo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. #21 bluntyoungballa, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    I live within walking distance of the AT but don't hike it as much as I should. I do spend a lot of time in the Michaux st. Forest though. Nice pics. I camp every opertunity I can get.

I'm with op on vandals and litter bugs. Pisses me off.

2. Were you just in VT and MA or did you continue through NH and ME? I apologize if you already said it. I stopped reading comments after that scuffle.

I live in CT and I'm contemplating doing the ME-CT trail one day. I want to do it all, but right now I just don't have the time.

Did you buy a map or were the trails very easily marked? I can use a compass I'm just not sure about certain parts of the trail. I've heard stories where people get lost by taking one wrong turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Idk about the whole trail but my area is clearly marked.

4. I would love to take some time, pack a small tent and basic provisions, and of course a solar cellphone charger (for multiple purposes), and hike the trail for a month or so...get up whenever, hike until whenever, pitch the tent and enjoy my evening...

course, also need plenty of bud... either a good ounce or two, or a trip supply of BHO n an oil pen (good ole solar cell charger!)

be pretty bitchin to hike all the way to NH, in the fall, then spend some time with friends up there, buy a winter camping kit and hit up White Mountain for a little snow-capped camping...

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm literally steps away from the trail. Tn/nc/va border area.

6. I stopped at Honover and took a bus back to DC. I carry a Garmin Colorado GPS and I leave waypoints on that. Then I also have a PDF of the AT thruhikers companion from ALDHA and one of the profiles from the ATC. I'm a member of both. You get downloads with membership. I sometimes carry a map, but if I do I cut it down. The trail is marked with blazes but you can easily get off trail. I wouldn't say lost. All you do is backtrack cause the trail is blazed both ways. I've gotten lost in PA nighthike during a bad storm before. Not fun.

7. you don't want any part of the Whites in the winter. You can die there

• Like Like x 1
  8. #28 squidrick420, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    I live in right by several portions of the southern Appalachian trail here in Western North Carolina. I love it because I am right in the epicenter of where the highest peaks in the entire Appalachians are located. I have regular access to over 10 peaks that go over 6,000 feet and quite a few that are over 6,500 feet including Mt. Mitchell, Mt. Craig, and Clingman's Dome the three tallest peaks in the entire Appalachians.

I would love to go check out some of the northern parts of the trail since I have never really been further north than Southern Maryland and that was only one time. I rarely get to go further north than southern Virginia or northern Tennessee which sucks because I don't really care for the south since it is too hot and humid all the time. Luckily it stays nice and cool here in WNC due to our higher elevation and the fact that there are so many tall peaks that it creates a barrier between us and the southern climate.

This is me smoking a bowl on top of Mt. Mitchell at appx. 6,680 feet elevation. It is a nice place but seeing as how it is the highest point east of the Mississippi River it gets way to many tourists so I had to hide down on the side of the peak in a bunch of spruce fir trees just to smoke a bowl.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. You in Boone, Asheville area?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I go between Buncombe and Haywood county.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Awesome pictures man, thanks for sharing.

I gotta cross the border one of these days...

Since I am from southern Quebec anyone now if I should head towards Vermont or Main to start? I am 50km away from Vermont btw (Stanstead border post)

And how about the month of May is that a good time to start?

I am pretty amateurish when it comes to long distance hikes haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

12. #32 cmgreenonetwo, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Thanks. Well if you're going north to south, May would be too early. Black flies and mud. You'd want to wait till June to leave ME at the earliest. Or July.
    You also could hike the Long Trail from Canada to Williamstown MA if you wanted to do a nice hike. Think its like 300 miles.
    The trail goes from Maine to GA. I would suggest starting in the South or even the middle of you are not a very experienced hiker.
    Maine and New Hampshire are the most challenging parts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. My wife and I geared up to do the northern AT, but then she went and got pregnant.

Maybe in a few years we can try again or I can take my boy

14. I was actually at REI yeaterday and saw these packs with a spot to put a baby! Someone would be throwing a lot of extra weight in the pack but hey, better than not hiking!

I did my first little stretch just before new years. We hiked out of.Cumberland valley (i believe) and headed north a bit. Didnt make it far since none of us have ever been backpacking before, but was still a great trip!

I think we all have that special whore somewhere in our lives.

• Like Like x 1
  15. You must give me permission to quote you on that last line. I almost died laughing.

16. I actually took it from someone else on here haha but yea man go ahead!

I think we all have that special whore somewhere in our lives.

17. Here's a few pics of the Cumberland Valley area portion of the trail from last March. Man it was cold. Did the MD section in two days. 43 miles from Harpers Ferry, WV to the Mason Dixon Line. It was snowing sideways the first night. Glad I brought the winter tent. The extra two pounds well worth it. 658.jpg 562.jpg 630.jpg WP_20140319_22_22_45_Pro.jpg 558.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. #39 Buffalo Beano, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
    yeah I've seen those around. There's an osprey pack I've had my eye on. My boys about 10 months old now so by the time it warms up he should be old enough to enjoy hiking.

19. So sad. Golite has closed doors. The go lite jam is the best backpack made or was made now I guess. I have a 70 and a 50. A pound each. And they held up with zero probs. But I'm ultralight or close to it @ about 19 pounds with four days of food spring through summer and about 23 lbs. in the winter. Might not do well much heavier.

Ospreys are tough, but way too heavy if you ask me. ULA Circuit is probably the best bag made now GoLite is no more.
    I am completely having hiking withdrawal.