First post. In need of some advice.

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by ogderp84, Oct 17, 2014.

1. #1 ogderp84, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    I've been doing a lot of research over the past weeks when I decided on a whim to germinate some top shelf seeds I've acquired over the past few weeks. Eventually this developed into getting a little set up together. 12 seeds 12 germed. All died but one, got some clones and began with them now in at 5 clones 1 original. All is good at this point everything looks perfectly healthy everything going smoothly, except... For some reason I'm not getting the best rooting going on, I've seen grows half mines age ( mine are 5 weeks old ), with double the roots... I'm using fox farm ocean Forrest, and super thrive in small small doses. CFL's... 1-3 inches from plants. Temp is 73, ph of water is 6.5... I'm not sure if any other information would be viable for some advice. I'm just sort of at a loss, this seems to be my issue with every attempt.... My roots just will not "thrive" for lack of a better word... I've been recommended root booster but I'd prefer not to have to use any sort of chemical like that. The super thrive I'm not even thrilled about using, I'd like to keep chemicals to a min, I think next run I'm going to start off with rapid rooters, but for this particular batch, any recommendations to get these roots going and maybe a little more active of a growth they aren't growing much,like others I've always seen even my buddies are lost as to why they seem so stunted they have clones from the same batch thriving... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 Bongsauce, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    Hi :)

I'd guess overwatering, or not enough air getting to the roots. Roots need air just as much as water (which is why hydroponics produces such explosive growth) ...you might want to lighten up the soil with a little perlite next time...seedlings really appreciate the extra air that some perlite will provide.

Try to always water by weight and not on a timed schedule. Get used to lifting up the containers when you water and you will soon be able to tel how much moisture is still in there.

It's hard to say for sure without a pic...and without all info...but overwatering is a very common problem with new growers. 2nd most common problem I see is lights and equipment falling on plants, and 3rd most would be feeding nutes too soon.

3. Thank you, I don't think in watering them too much, I fear I'd be not watering enough or maybe even correctly at all for that matter. The airflow is an issue of concern for me though, I hadn't thought about that... Let me see if u can figure something out here:... To the hydroponic store i go!!! Thank you for the response.

4. Picked up some coco and some root enhancer pellets, I reported them to larger pots and was directed to sprinkle that in the hole prior to potting so the roots will lay on top of it.... As a trial run I figured id see how it goes... 8 hours later and they are looking upper happy and a nice deep healthy green. :)