Not Identifying with the Self/Ego

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by schuy7, Oct 16, 2014.

1. This is actually really significant.

Do you believe delusions are possible?

BS PP you used to post all kinds of shit about your beliefs you thought represented enlightenment or whatever word you wanted to use to conceptualize that kind of concept

4. I find that the derangement of my senses is helpful to realizing truth actually :)

5. #25 Uncle_Meat420, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014

That is not what a delusion is bud

A delusion is "an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder."

So?

I'm sorry that you don;t know what words mean but it's better you learned the true definition online instead of in a real life social situation.

6. Well I was getting somewhere. I couldn't skip that step. It was just one step in the journey, we might say.

yes and it's important to hit those people with a dose of reality or else you end up deluded by BS. There defiantly exist professors in academia who have lived an insulated life style and it shows in their beliefs about society( I'm speaking mainly of "social studies" professors who come up with there big plans for society, which usually involves violating peoples rights, such as stealing their stuff or forcing them to work, or murdering them)

That would be an illusion, a distortion of the senses that shows you how your brain works. A delusion is believing in something with absolute certainty with an unchangeable conviction even though there is no evidence for it, even when there is evidence against it.

9. "Reality" is an often lacking commodity in today's world. Either the personal experience is exalted and isn't appraised in the bigger context or the personal experience is so powerful, it is a chokehold to objective, unfettered insight.

Most people have to go through a process, always cathartic, to overcome the biased flaws of perception. In the end, trying to describe a personal experience can be almost impossible when the concepts one attempts to relate aren't really a part of our culture. Miscommunication is often the cause of many great issues.

Professors are definitely insulated and it's kind of sickening as they have both great influence and great authority. Get tenure and you can basically say whatever you want. Well, let's not get into the flaws of postsecondary education right now. It's a huge issue.

What the hell do you mean by the first paragraph? 

People go through thought processes? What really I didn't know that? 

Yep but the double edge of that system is that a really revolutionary/innovative professor could protect themselves from other powers in societies who's interests are diametrically opposed to the professors. However then you go back to the people who pick professors, they probably pick the most conformist professor (at least not to many or too crazy of ideas) so you end up with a bunch of proffessors who all believe mostly the same shit. 

11. You find what you seek, even at sometimes it isn't really there.

12. Not thought process.

In the first paragraph I was speaking about how inaccessible the idea of reality really is. The obstacles to "reality" and understanding it are endless. There's always some sort of mediation that filters the experience of reality.

Completely privatised post secondary education is something that I definitely lean towards. Leaning away from any standardization. Our world is in a place where we need people to be more intimate with their own ideals, more confident and applied towards what they personally want and need. Needs have already presented themselves. There's already enough niches to occupy in society. What we need is innovation on a social and economic front. We need to escape the current cultural narrative and that calls for countless small revolutions against thousands of small fronts.

We can speak about how our society already works well now, but then we defeat one of the greatest things about being a human being. Social and cultural evolution to suit our ever changing needs.

Yeah no shit but I'm talking about practical reality. A traffic signal has three colors on it. You wouldn't go around claiming there were 4 or you would be called delusional. Our brains interpret inputs and we make a world out of it. yeah/

what do you mean by "We can speak about how our society already works well now, but then we defeat one of the greatest things about being a human being. Social and cultural evolution to suit our ever changing needs." I don't see how that relates to anything that has been said

14. I dunno, but you misread my first thing and that confused stuff.

15. Nothing wrong with practical reality.

16. I'm almost a year late, but I hope you still get this reply. Another common definition for exasperate is "to increase the intensity or violence of (disease, pain, feelings,etc.)." So I had the right idea.
    I really hope you get this as well. This is exactly how I feel a lot. Anything I say immediately feels useless and "not me". I think it's presence because through that there is no attachment, but just awareness. The part of you or me that experiences that peculiar feeling is the ego though. It's the ego trying to understand why it can't be easier to be something and cling to something. A greater gap between awareness and thought will allow this peculiar feeling to go away. :)

17. John is just a name...25 is just a number....accounting is just a job...all things created by men with free will and wisdom from above....when you set the clock back to zero when humans started that was all we were HUMANS.....

18. What's the difference between a daydream and a delusion? Your criteria for what you believe a delusion is, is truth for the person witnessing the delusion. Isn't reality sort of a delusion? You can only see what your eye's project to your brain. Is the person witnessing a delusion much different?

19. A delusion is a belief in something when there is a ton of evidence to negate said belief. Huge difference between a daydream. For instance, humans can't fly without some sort of machine to fly them in.. but I can daydream that I am able to fly like Superman. Now if I whole heartedly believed that I could fly when all the evidence and knowledge of the past tells me I can't, that would be a delusion.

And no.. reality is not a delusion.

20. #40 freethinker, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
    When you have a vivid dream of something exciting or scary, at that moment you believe your dream is real. You eventually wake up with an accelerated heartbeat, sweating, and your even thirsty..but it's only when you wake up do you finally realize the illusion of the dream and it's impact it had on your 'real' physical body.