Not Identifying with the Self/Ego

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by schuy7, Oct 16, 2014.

1. #1 schuy7, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
    If I were to ask you... "Who are you?" How would you answer? Most people will be somewhat puzzled, but come up with something like "I'm John, I'm 25 years old, I'm a guy, I work as an accountant, and I'm a pot smoker."

For much of my life, "who are you?" was something I could never answer. Everybody around me acted differently. They were satisfied with identifying with their age, gender, perceived personality, clique, or whatever. But I was never satisfied with a label or identification. I always felt like it limited who I was and I've always felt infinite. 

In the last two years I've been fortunate enough to come across tremendous wisdom. Over that time, I was able to silence the mind and the answers became very clear. Once you do not identify with your thoughts, you realize that the being within you is the same being within all existence. Just think, why would you identify with your thoughts? Your body and its organs have many functions, one of which is to think. Your body also removes waste from your system. Does that mean you should identify with that process? 

Most people on this planet are addicted to thinking, and they have no idea how big of an issue it is because it's perceived to be normal because most people are that way. Our society exasperates qualities that enable a person to think and become addicted to it, with television, the internet, sugar foods, and so many other things. How do you know it's an addiction? When you don't realize it's a problem and you don't know how to stop. Most people who are compulsive thinkers literally cannot stop thinking. Just the idea of not thinking scares the hell out of them. They end up thinking about how to stop thinking.

What you must do is become aware of your thoughts. You have to become the observer of your thoughts. You have to be still without any judgment of anything that's going on. You have to watch/observe your brain create thoughts just like you observe your nose smelling an interesting smell, or your tongue taste something good. Once you've become aware of your thoughts, you'll have the ability to stop them and not take them seriously. Becoming the observer of your experience, the observe of your thoughts and emotions... you have unlocked the most powerful tool of transformation.Once you do that you will realize how nothing is serious at all and that all beautiful things in life are when you are at this blissful state of playfulness and oneness.

2. And then the trick becomes not identifying with not identifying ;)

3. Good post! I'm addicted to thinking and sugar etc but i realize this. At some point i plan on experimenting with unmentionables, i feel like that will help. Life as an adult kind of sucks, and how i view it is in my signature. I am always thinking of ways to remove myself from the 'system' of work, car, house, consumerism etc, for moral objections and to pursue a more meaningful life. One where i can reflect and change more easily. Its difficult for me to feel free in the sense you describe it whilst being a "slave to the grind". I have to say though, death becomes much less worrisome when nothingness, oneness or bliss sounds much better than life. That notion really pisses me off too since this is my life. Now that you have some insight into my mind, any advice?

4. I don't think most people are addicted to thinking.

I'd say most people avoid critical thinking at all costs.

Over-thinking is only a problem when you do it for superficial reasons. If you over-think in order to discover and/or create it can be a strength rather than a weakness.

5. I don't believe you are not thinking -- any thoughts entering your mind, whether you observe them or not, are generated by your subconscious mind below the threshold of your awareness. 

However, not identifying with the ego is very intriguing. Many people struggle with this their whole lives, wrestling the ego down so they may achieve enlightenment. Could you elaborate a little further on what it feels like to not identify with the human construct that makes up a majority of your personality?

It feels like not having a personality at all.. if that makes sense. You probably run into these types of people all the time.. people who are extreme with being 'care free' and 'go with the flow'. Sometimes, that's all they have to go off of.. the flow/emotions of their environment.

7. The ego is a huge set of thought constructs. To remove them is the essence of religion. The essence of enlightenment is to experience absolutely without these interfering in your awareness. This complete experience of reality with no conceptual adherence is enlightenment. It breaks down walls. It is the most sublime and true. Without a single burden. Without a single view. No views, no thoughts. Just pure appreciation of reality. Without: good or bad, pain or pleasure, desire or aversion, self and other. This is the great enlightenment.

Well said.

It's a beautiful thing :)

9. Where do you get your herb from? :hippie:

10. #11 Tokesmith, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    Who am I?

I am you.

So who are we?

Universal

11. #12 Uncle_Meat420, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2014
    Maybe you should think a little more since you didn't use the word exasperates correctly. I believe you may have been looking for the word espouses. 

:(

13. nice post.

we experience our thoughts, we are not our thoughts. 

I own nothing.

I perceive, thats all i know.

14. #15 Infinite Experience, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    That's a good point, who am I, better yet, who are WE? I think we are all that Is, all that has been and all that ever can be. We are awareness. We all have names but what does that really mean? Well it's just a label for an entity, an experience. I like to think of us all as the same person just with different biological, environmental, and societal circumstances that led us to be who we are today.

15. #16 Peflora, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    While I agree with most of what you say, CURRENTLY, the cabal also controls where your soul goes uppon death (reincarnation), or in the event that you get so wasted they can literally walk in and take over your skin suit

Fear not, their day is near past. They know this and have been pulling out all the stops to stay here, but they can't survive in our higher consciousness planet earth

I think of ego like an untrained dog. Once you take control, it is happy to do as you say

16. Were you?  Exesperates doesn't even make sense in that context. You basically said " Our society (is infuriated) qualities that enable a person to think and become addicted to it, with television, the internet, sugar foods, and so many other things. "

So do you just want to admit you were wrong about the meaning of a word (don't even try to start with subjectivist BS about words have whatever meaning you ascribe to them, no they do not, you're wrong) or do you want to go on believing you've reached some kind of "enlightenment" and not acknowledged any mistakes on your part?

Let me tell you something bud. Everyone believes they reached enlightenment between 18 and 22 or when they first go to college. Most grow out of it after that but you still have a few retarded 26 year olds running around spouting nonsense. The thing is your still young and there is a whole lot of knowledge out there to soak up. Everyone believes they are special, it feels good to think that. 

17. Lol
    It was funny, but then you went too far with this. It's easy to put down the spiritual experience or generalize it. Most people i know never talked about being enlightened around 18-22. Some may have had a big ego and stuff to say, but most people weren't concerned by the nature of society or our being. Dude said he felt limited trying to describe himself. I always had the same problem. Couldn't write about my beliefs, or what I liked because it never seemed true. Things would change and there was no me. People listen to things and judge you, but I'm just making an impression of someone that most probably doesn't represent me. Most people felt prettt comfortable with themselves, but that shit confused me. I was carefree and unclinging to anything.

Certainly. I'd say most people prefer the short-term convenience and false comfort of avoiding critical thought.

19. I don't need you to validate my experiences :)