Sourcing Silica and other things

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Jackhererwasright, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I am trying to source all my organic soil amendments for future use (stockpile soil hoard like Smaug ftw) and I have been looking around at kelp4less since i got some kelp front them along time ago. I need some more kelp, but the "special organic" kelp is so much more expensive then the normal plain jane seaweed. Any thoughts on organic vs. non organic kelp. In the same realm, I see they sell silica powder which is like a powdered organic version of protekt I'm assuming. In the sales pitch it says: "Easy replacement for any Potassium Silicate product you can find on the market today. Silicates used in standard liquid silica products are not plant friendly or plant available. Substitute with a Natural and Organic Silica Powder to your Nutrient plan. Specifically designed to help your plant respond better to drought, disease and pests. At the same time Silica is developing your plants cellular walls increasing strength and overall health." So should I invest in this product and compare it with protekt or have you guys done this already? 

Kacljererwasright

Call Jeremy at BuildaSoil.com and check his prices and get real information. The specific kelp species used in agriculture is Ascophyllum nodosum and there are two major suppliers both located in Nova Scotia, i.e. Acadian Seaplants, Ltd. and Tidal Organics. Both companies sustainably harvest this variety, process it the same way, etc. all under international treaties dating back over 50 years.

Here's the game that Kelp4Less is playing with their customers which is pretty interesting to say the least. The kelp meal from ASL is a bit more coarse than the old-fashioned coffee that came in a huge can before we got hooked on Starbucks, et al. The material from Tidal Organics is ground quite a bit finer - not a dust but very small.

Both of these materials are certified organic by about every legitimate certification agency around the world. There isn't a dime's worth of difference as far as you're concerned with this one exception: the finer grind does a better 'job' when making a kelp meal tea. As soon as you crop it into your water you will immediately see a change in the color of the water. When you're finished brewing the tea and you strain it you will have about 50% the volume of 'muck' if you had used the ASL kelp meal. 

BuildaSoil sells Agsil 16 which is used to make your own liquid silica (potassium silicate) and he has the information on mixing ratios. It's 35 grams to 8 oz. of water and that is equal to Pro-TeKt.

HTH

CC

3. thanks Clack, you and everyone else who talks on here is THE SHIT  :bongin:  I will definitely talk to buildasoil as I have heard many good things so they must know their stuff! 

4. You may want to compare kelp prices at Planetnatural.com. It's the good stuff. Savings of 30 bucks on a 50lb sack compared to BAS.
    MBFERTS.com might save ya a few bucks on the AgSil.

5. "Any thoughts on organic vs. non organic kelp."

"the "special organic" kelp is so much more expensive then the normal plain jane seaweed."

I had no idea that there was a difference. What defines organic vs non-organic kelp???

Jack - you want brown seaweed and not red or green - plain ol' kelp; ie: Ascophylum Nodosum. Don't get taken in by hype. There certainly isn't anyone growing organic or nonorganic kelp out in the ocean.

J

6. #7 over dere, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

Jerry

Guess who Applied Organic Solutions (dba Kelp4Less) & Planet Natural Peaceful Valley Farm Supply sources from?

LMAO

7. Must be Acadian?

J

Jerry

Concentrates carries both ASL and Tidal Organics.

Because of the smaller size and the word 'organics' in the name, Kelp4Less is selling Tidal Organics at a higher price as the OP noted:

I need some more kelp, but the "special organic" kelp is so much more expensive then the normal plain jane seaweed

That or they don't understand that ASL is certified organic as well.

CC

9. #10 Jackhererwasright, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    Damn, if everyone were on these organics threads learning from you guys i think half of these grow companies would go out of business, soil and hydro places ha :p

10. jackhererwasright

Do you have feed stores in your area? Sometimes they're called farm stores...

Check with them for kelp meal for the best prices. Sometimes it's called seaweed meal...

CC

11. yes there is an amazing one with chickens and animals as well as EM-1 and other random organic goodies that has a big old tree growing right through the middle of it ! I did get my bokashi wheat bran there for cheap so that is a good idea ! lol