Almost three week old plant cant figure out whats wrong help please.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cannabisdill23, Oct 15, 2014.

1. #1 cannabisdill23, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
    I've asked around GC for info on this and haven't found much on it :(

Here's some specs:

Almost 3 weeks old(unknown strain)

Paper towel method for germ.
    Then to rockwool which was placed into a solo cup with fox farm happy frog soil(2weeks).
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413335923.955552.jpg

Then transplanted a few days ago
    Into a 2.5 gallon container also with with FF happy frog.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413336021.525354.jpg

I water about every 3-4 days with a ph of 6.5.

I have 4 23w CFLs. 2 are 5000k and 2 are 6500k

Soil is fox farm happy frog and perlite
    70/30.

Also a moving fan.

Any questions please ask.

The plant gets new growth and after a few days and the new leafs start curling and getting brown.

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413336607.010869.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413336630.697586.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413336656.940294.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413336674.797153.jpg

Past to present photos for a little help.

3. #5 snoopdog6502, Oct 15, 2014
    Magnesium. feed it. Magnesium. Some potassium too.

A tsp. of epson salts to a gallon of water and water with it.

4. #6 cannabisdill23, Oct 15, 2014
    hummm okay, yeah might have to try that. What does the Epsom salt do?

Gotta figure out how to get Magnesium and potassium for the plant any suggestions? Thx

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/1331851-my-first-grow.html

5. Epson salts has magnesium. you can get CalMag that is a mixture of calcium and magnesium.

Magnesium has an important role in photosynthesis because it forms the central atom of chlorophyll.

A good veg formula and calmag will have it perking and growing fine.

6. I agree with snoopdog6502 looks like mag deficiency

7. okay yeah I've heard of calmag
    I'll have to see where to buy some.

Is there a good source of magnesium in tap water?my water seems kinda hard

I use r/o just wondering if maybe the tap water could help.

Thanks for the help though much appreciate.

8. As long as the tap water is not treated heavy you can use it on plants. If you can drink the tap then so can your plants.

9. #13 waktoo, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    Looks to me like degradation over time brought on by overwatering.

When you water, how much do you water?  Do you have any profile pictures of the plant?

There's no reason a plant that young should be experiencing magnesium or any other deficiency in that soil.

10. I water every 3-4 days I also check the moister in the soil plus how much it weighs. What do you mean profile pic? Something like this?
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413601974.885523.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413602005.695363.jpg
    I know it's not over watering because I let the soil get pretty dry at least I think I do

11. Check for fungus gnats

12. I don't know. Calcium and magnesium are something the plant wants more at the end. Usually that deficiency results in a spotting case. So I wouldn't say a cal/mag issue at all. I would actually say the plant is hungry.

Is this the water you are using exclusively?  It contains Potassium bicarbonate aka baking soda's relative.  It's in there for taste, but not great for plants/soil for many reasons.  Also has Magnesium sulfate aka Epsom salts, and potassium bicarbonate.  These are all added for taste of 'purified' water in low levels, however if that's all you're using to water I'd imagine over time there would be some salt build up from this.  Water gets taken in by plant, salts stay.  

Just looks similar to salt damage I've seen, which can resemble nutrient burn.  If it were a mobile nutrient deficiency I think you would see it more so in the lower leaves and working it's way up, hence the name 'mobile'.  Your plants just look a bit fried.  Google salt damage in plants and see what you think.  Just throwing it out there because I also don't thing a plant that young would be showing these deficiencies in soil.  That's more of a hydro problem at this point.

14. #18 cannabisdill23, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
    thanks homer for the tip! I did google salt damage it does seem like that is most of the problem if not the whole problem! So a good flush maybe? Also what's a good water source with nothing added? Seems like all r/o has something added.

And yes thats the water I've been useing exclusively.

Out of the faucet works for me.  If you are on public water you may want to fill a container and let it sit for a day.  Part of the water treatment procedure to make water potable for human consumption is the use of sodium hypochlorite aka chlorine and the active ingredient in bleach.  This will break down over a day.  You mention you have hard water, that is basically lime which is calcium, so you'd actually be doing yourself a favor using tap IMO and saving a boat load of money.  

I've seen more issues with people using RO water than good in soil grows.  It can actually be a mild hazard PH wise if you are a bottled nutrient user as it has no buffers that non RO water has.

I'm not a huge fan of telling people to flush, it's an overused term and seems that even experienced growers throw the term around way to often.  I'd wait until they need a watering and make sure you water properly, ie watering until you see a decent amount of runoff and make sure this does not get absorbed back into the container.  Make sure you do this every watering.  Last thing you want to do at this point is drown the plant.  

Do not add more epsom salts, in a soil grow you should not see a magnesium deficiency very often.

Good luck man.

16. okay well thanks man for the input and tips. it's been annoying trying to figure out what's wrong with this plant!

Sounds like the water I was using isn't good for them. I'll start using tap water after it sits out.

I was asking to maybe flush because I'm sure the salt build up is high but then again I'm a beginner so.

Thanks again for the advise though man.