Drewdogs 1st coco dance

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by drewdog420, Oct 14, 2014.

1. So in a 5gal I'll water less often? I'm vegging under led though so I guess it would be less often especially in the beginning. Do you let it almost dry out or just water religiously? It's been 4 days and it still seems a little damp.

2. when my pots are light. So I pop seeds in a dixie cup then tplant into 1gal then veg in 3gal pots for 1-2 weeks then flip. So by the time I flip theyre at about 2-3 days inbetween watering. It goes down from thhere as the roots start to fill up the 3gal pot.

When I watered everyday like hydro my root system was very small, now they damn near bust my pots open.

Towards the last 2 weeks 10 days ill let the pots get pretty dry before I water almost too dry.

Coco is deceiving sometimes. It looks dry ontop but the bottom is wet while other pots look super wet.

I think in coco it would be succesfull to use smaller pots for a hydro grow, like keeping them in the one gallon pot all the way through? I havnt tried that though. Right now im trying to get the best of both worlds with ammendments in my coco and no pgr's. H&g is really clean but I was still lacking in the flavor department so ridding the b.s additives and adding my own dry mix im hoping for better results. Just the base nutes veg/bloom and kelp/seaweed. Ewc teas are being incorporated this winter too.

My last indoor I used just my soil and fed one time in flower and I had what looked like conger buds that only grow outdoor. I couldnt believe it. When I treated it like hydro I fed half a gal everday upto 1gal. So its safe to say thats OVERKILL! Better results, more economic and not so much wasted time, mind u I was stubborn as fuck and ran coco hydro style trying to get it locked in for 9 runs, 3tables a run and 9per table it was a year of fuck! Good herb just not the best.

Just like soil, lift your pot. If its light it needs fluids.

3. ^^ best advice one can give, lift your pots and feel the weight everyday and only water when noticeably lighter. Soil, hydro or coco your roots need a proper balance between water and air to thrive.

Drew follow your watering instincts that I have drilled into you the past couple years and you'll be fine. Don't listen to the "experts" around GC too much it will just mess up your head, just do what your instincts tell your to do and you'll do great. Coco holds a lot of water don't be surprised if you go a week or more before needing to water. This long water retention is why I recommend a dry amendment mix that you'd use for super soil at 1/4 strength added and mixed in with your coco and perlite, reason being is that it gives your plants something to chew on while your letting it dry out between feedings. Having said that I would do a run w no added amendments just with your bottles first so see where you are with feeding and def and when etc to better dial in how much dry amendments to add or not at all if your bottles do what you want don't change it. Just throwing it out there because I too have done my dance with coco and this thru personal experience and ovservation is what I learned.

4. Does anyone know if it's ok to top dress coco with neem cake? My last soil grow got infested with fungus gnats, so I want to be prepared for the little buggers. I've read that they can be a problem in coco too, although not as often.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #45 Gold Hill Ganga, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    I would not top dress w neem for fungus gnats. Here is my proven 3 step way to kill gnats or thrips, first you add the directed amount of liquid BT (bacillus thungrianous(sp?)) to your water and use in a soil drench, next then sprinkle a layer of DE (diaotomeceaus earth(sp?)) on top of your soil creating a barrier, next spray your plants down with Take-Down or other pyrethrin concentrate. By doing these 3 steps you kill the adults that are flying around your plants, you kill the larva living in the soil and you kill any larva hatching and trying to reach the soil.

6. Thanks gold and igrow. You guys rock as always. I will use my instincts on the watering as well as what gold has drilled into my skull which has made my outdoor this year so absolutely chronic. I'm an outdoor grower at heart. Btw in 5 days from transplant I'm seeing crazy growth from all my plants from seed. I'm watering tomorrow so I'll put up pics.

7. #47 drewdog420, Oct 22, 2014
    Took all the girls out for their 1st preventive spray and quite a few still aren't ready to be watered, but they were all transplanted a few days apart so some have been in pots longer. I'm going to go ahead and water because I want them all on the same watering schedule. Jack herer 1 definitely a little sad before feeding.

Attached Files:

8. #48 drewdog420, Oct 22, 2014
    Jack 2, cheese,

Attached Files:

9. Og,green crack, blue dream,ssog 1,tangilope, ssog 2, grapefruit crush

Attached Files:

10. Og topped below the 4th node, jh1 below 5th node, blue dream below 4th

11. Comin right along man.. lookin nice! :D

12. Thanks bro. I don't know much about coco but I feel I'm doing good so far. I think I have the growers instinct. Glad I went with a 60/40 coco perlite mix. Straight coco would dry out way too slow for this time of year. Good thing I have a little experience with coco in my super soil because it holds more water than a lot of people think. I've decided to feed every watering until my plants get bigger and I have to water every day or every other day

13. Ya man coco acts a lot like soil when you hand water.. Takes a few days to dry out and whatnot.. Like these other dudes said, picking them up is the best way to tell if they need water or not. I'll usually water the veggers every other day and the flower ladies get it just about every night.

I'm glad you added the perlite too. When I first started I used coco only and did ok, but when I cut the coco with 50% pelite, I almost doubled my yield.. Duh! :laughing:

Keep up the good work dude.. Looks great! :D

14. Got up this morning and took a peek at the girls and they're loving the latest feeding and watering. Praying to the tent heaven and I swear there was growth over night

15. Peekaboo

Attached Files:

16. #56 drewdog420, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Haden't planned on it but I picked up some clones tonight. Figured I'm going to use this run to get familiar with coco and strain hunt for next summer and the clones will be my grow for dough run. Got 12ea of sour diesel and purple mr nice. A couple of my favorite strains and after seeing and smoking the buds I couldn't pass it up. This will be my last attempt at growing that difficult diesel bitch indoor unless she puts out in a big way.

17. ^^ I would ditch the sour d, and run just straight headband if you want a fuely gas scented, it just does better then sour d and IMO they high is stronger and better too.

18. I like sour d because it has a little more sour taste than headband and high isn't too much for me. It's one of the only sativas I can smoke without getting a panic attack

19. Hey Drew looking good bro now I'm looking forward to running sum more coco along side my organics my first run with it and autos I yielded very nice man

20. Question for any of the coco guys here. Anyone used the slacker organic mix that's already cut with perlite, ewc, rice hulls, and a few other organic goodies?