Icemuds Advanced LED Grow feat. XTE 300 series and EX-VEG 200W

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Icemud, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Hey Everyone....

So some very exciting news....The time has come... to send these girls off to flowering! yup!

So as of Thursday night was their first daylight period after the 12 hour dark period. (flipping to 12/12). Well actually like last time I am starting them off at 12.5/11.5 and will wind it down about week 4 or 5 to 12.25/11.25. Right now I have the panels mounted at about 16" at the closest point and about 24" at the furthest point, I checked with my par meter and everything is getting 300 umol or more around the edges, and the middle is getting around 700-1100 depending on where I checked it. Very bright panels annd they seem to have pretty good spread too.

So as far as the Purple urkle and GDP having some discoloration on the leaves it seemed to have slowed down and the new growth is healthy and showing no ill signs, so I think my TLC worked [​IMG] I have been giving the girls some compost tea over the last 2 days to help spark up the soil microbes for flowering, and added a slight does of 2-4-0 fish hydrolized and some 0-0-4 posassium silicate to the feeding in 1/4 doses. I also gave them a foliar feeding 2 days ago of compost tea with added yucca extract and carboload.

As far as my veg tent, things are going along just fine under the all blue Ex-Veg lights. The ladies are growing pretty fast so about 3 days ago I topped all of the plants to help slow vertical growth and also help bush them out more. I hope that my flowering tent finishes before these girls get too big [​IMG]

Well not much else to report on today. So far everything looks good and the plants seem happy.

Here are the photos I took last night of both tents, Day 2 of flowering and of the plants in the veg tent. I still only have each of the EX-VEG 200 panels running with half the diodes off (1 switch off) because the plants are still pretty small and don't need the full intensity. It seems its still plenty bright enough to fully cover the tent and the ladies are thriving.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0018.JPG

2. And here are the photos for tonight... Day 3 flowering ( I notice I do need to defoliate and clean up the plants, however I am going to wait about 1 more week until the plants all finish their stretch and I see buds forming..So forgive my somewhat unclean under canopy)

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

3. Hey Everyone... So far really impressed with these lights, both the XTE and the EX-VEG. I can't get over how bright these XTE 300's are though, even at the height they are at my girls are getting saturated with light [​IMG]

Today would be day 5 of flowering [​IMG] No sign of pistil growth yet or any flowering signs other than the typical stretch. Right now my GSC is over 3' tall from the top of the pot [​IMG] and all the others are very close as well, except the ogiesel which is a bushy little guy. [​IMG]

So yesterday I gave the girls a foliar feeding of bloomit, carboload, yucca and cal/mag and they seemed to like it [​IMG]

I have been giving them for waterings, compost tea, for the past few days so next I will be hitting them with a round of earthjuice to give some organics back to the soil, as I am sure the girls have definitely sucked up quite a bit over the last few days of the stretch.

Other than that, things are going great and I honestly am extremely happy so far with the Advanced LED lights [​IMG] Very bright! and my tent is much cooler [​IMG]

In the VEG tent, things are going well, and I think that I may have saved my SFV genetics... I was about to dump my clones of her that werent rooting and I left alone to dry out, and low and behold, a nice white root was popping out of the root riot plug [​IMG] I got her into a red cup of soil and put a humidity dome over her and put her into the veg tent. I hope she takes as she was in pretty bad shape, and I would hate to lose such a awesome strain [​IMG] fingers crossed [​IMG]

Everything else is going well in the veg tent and things keep on growing [​IMG]

Here are a few photos of both tents today... ( I apologize for the downgrade of my photo quality, I had to give back the better camera that I was using so back to my lower res on, they still should be pretty good though until I get a better solution...its what ive used for years [​IMG]

DSC09704.JPG DSC09707.JPG DSC09708.JPG DSC09709.JPG DSC09715.JPG DSC09716.JPG DSC09717.JPG DSC09718.JPG DSC09719.JPG DSC09729.JPG

4. Hey Everyone...Good morning!

So my 3rd batch of butter was a success and I managed to get more butter out of the bud this run, and I have to say this I believe is my strongest batch yet.

To make filtering easier, I pre-filtered the cannamash with a wire screen collander, which took most of the large particles out. I put this to the side in a bowl and filtered the liquid through the included filter bag to further remove particles. Then I loaded the cannamash into the filter bag and squeezed it until there was hardly any juice in the clump of plant mass. This process too a while and I wish there was some kind of filter/press that could be used, but hey, still not much work for a wonderful edible infused product [​IMG]

So my first dish I made was my "space potatos" which is just a boxed mashed potatos, made with cannabutter. This time I took it a little extreme, and used the water from the cannabutter (about 1 cup total) for the potato mix along with 3 scoops of butter to a full box of potatos (2 packets). Of course this was more than 1 serving worth and I didn't eat it all at once, but just had 1 bowl full. It took about 1 hour to really kick in, but when it did, shawwwweeettt!! it was very strong, and lasted about 6 hours... I think I have found my perfect butter recipe [​IMG]

DSC09730.JPG DSC09731.JPG DSC09732.JPG

5. As far as the grow, today makes day 7 of Flowering in my Advanced LED XTE tent, and ?? day in the XT-VEG tent, since I don't keep track of veg days.

I have to say, I am extrememely impressed with these lights so far, the penetration is amazing, the intensity is amazing, the fact they run extremely cool is amazing... can you see I am impressed [​IMG] Lets hope they flower just as good as they have been vegging the girls and I will be a happy grow tent camper [​IMG]

So tonight/today before the lights went out I gave them a foliar feeding. I noticed that today, the leaves were pointed strait up at the lights, very very happy looking, and I believe they liked the soil drench I gave them. I gave them 3x the normal amount of water to get a slight runoff to help wash any salts loose, as well as replace the organic materials in the soil with some new stuff for the microbes to chew on [​IMG] It seemed to be just what they wanted and they even seemed to be giving off a little extre scent today thanking me [​IMG]

In the foliar feeding I mixed RO water with Amaze, PGR, carboload, potassium dioxide, heavy 16 (a light micronutrient sulfate), and yucca extract.

I held off on feeding today since I gave the girls a extra bit of water yesterday to let the soil dry back out, however I checked the soil towards the end of the day today for moisture, and tomorrow they will be ready to be back on the daily feedings/waterings.

So here are todays photos.

DSC09733.JPG DSC09734.JPG DSC09735.JPG DSC09736.JPG DSC09737.JPG DSC09738.JPG DSC09739.JPG DSC09740.JPG DSC09741.JPG DSC09742.JPG DSC09743.JPG DSC09744.JPG DSC09745.JPG DSC09747.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Hope everyone had a happy and safe Halloweed! ha

Yesterday when I went into the flowering tent, I couldn't believe my eyes on how the leaves on the blue dream and the churchberry were both pointing upwards at an extreme angle! All the plants actually had really good leaf posture, but the 2 sativa dominant plants were really showing it! I had to snap some photos...

They must really be happy [​IMG]

Well no signs of any flowers yet, but I can tell I should see them pretty much any day now [​IMG]

Other than that, not much else to report on.

Here are the photos from yesterday Oct 30, day 8 of flowering.

DSC09749.JPG DSC09750.JPG DSC09751.JPG DSC09752.JPG DSC09753.JPG DSC09754.JPG

7. Ice those plants look great!
    Are you going full spectrum in flower or straight red? Those blue lights are blue as hell lol

WOW!

Keep up the good work bud. Also, where do you get yucca extract?

8. Thanks Poke!!!

I am flowering with full spectrum. For a few days near the flip, I started the day and endedd the day with pure red, but I really don't think it made a difference. The remainder of flowering will be on a 12.25/11.75 flowering schedule under full spectrum.

Yeah the blue lights are very very bright...it deffinitely is hard to see any plant deficiencies thouggh. But they work amazingly. I am only running each panel at 1/2 the wattage (one switch on, one off) so a total of only 200w and the plants are growing very fast. I have already had to top them 2x to keep hight down.

So far very impressed :)

I got the yucca extract from TandJ Enterprizes. They make a really good compost tea too. If you get it, make sure you get the one WITHOUT preservatives.

9. Hey everyone!!!

So today I have exciting news!!! We have flowers!!! woooooo!!!
    haha

So today I peeked into the tent to feed the girls and sure enough, all of them have flowers [​IMG] Its odd how all 6 strains just happened to flower on the exact same day [​IMG] pretty cool [​IMG]

The ladies are getting pretty tall now, the GDP and Purple urkle have really stretched quite a bit and the GSC got so tall I had to supercrop 2 of the tallest branches. I may also have do do the same to the Purple Urkle and the GDP.

The ladies definitely have really started to give off a very nice aroma [​IMG] much more notable when I opened the tent today vs other day [​IMG]

The veg tent is also doing very well, and the plantss are growing very fast. I probably will give them about 1-2 more weeks and then transplant them into 5 gallon pots to await flowering. I only will be picking 6 to continue in this journal, the other 6 will be going into my other tent to veg until needed, however I may keep 8 in the veg tent until space wont allow for more.

Well here are the photos for today! Enjoy!

DSC09755.JPG DSC09756.JPG DSC09757.JPG DSC09758.JPG DSC09759.JPG DSC09761.JPG DSC09764.JPG DSC09765.JPG DSC09766.JPG DSC09767.JPG DSC09768.JPG DSC09769.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Here is a new video update I made...enjoy!

http://youtu.be/MzysaTg7K7k

11. Ewww, preservatives ;)

Seriously, will remember that! Wow man, half wattage, thats freakin crazy that theyre growin so great. I think im still in the faze where leds are just surprising the hell outta me! Someone asked me yesterday how you can see any deficiencies under the leds and i said, you really cant. Much easier to pull the plant from under the light or turn the leds off and switch to another light for visual inspections. Would you agree? Is this what you do?

What genetics are the gsc? Seedbank/breeder? Ive heard just yesterday its a low yielder, but mine looks like itll be heavy, even in veg so far, but time will tell. Also mine was through a family friend so unsure of genetics. When you top, are you makin a buncha clones? Dude your videos are impressive to the max! Your garden looks lovely. Keep up the good worker brother!
    ~poke

12. Yeah I never expected the all blue LED's to do as good as they are. No wonder there were literally hundreds of positive reviews on these lights :p Their bright, very quiet, cool running and the plants really seem to love the spectrum. It is pretty difficult to see any deficiencies so sometimes I will just turn the lights off and use a flashlight to get a good view of the plants in their natural lighting...

Would be awesome if Advanced had a little daisy chain white LED that could be attached for this purpose :)

The GSC genetics of the cut I have are the "Thin Mint" pheno. I am not 100% sure on the genetics but from what I could gather when I researched it its GSC= OG kush x (F1 Durban x South Florida Kush). It definitely has a very strong kush flavor and scent, but also has a hashy berry taste in the undertoness.

I do top quite often, but I usually use lower branches for clones. I only take clones when I need to or if I have a buddy or something that wants to trade, other than that I just only take them when I am about to flip a strain to flowering, to keep the gennetics alive..

13. You should let advanced know about the white light, because i fully agree. Its difficult to see anything under solid red purple or blue lol

Im glad youre liking those blues, im interested in them now too and mentioned that when talking to a rep. Ive noticed its difficult to find any negative reviews on advancedled. Seriously, ive tried! People love this company and the lights, so im super excited to be a part of the team.
    You gonna do a ny vs grows down the road, one company panel vs another? That would be interesting to see.

Didnt know those were the genetics for gsc, but im happier now knowing because those are some great genes!

I too take clones to save genetics, but sometimes i accidentally top and i tell the plant look, you want your own pot, this is your opportunity bud, do your thing, most survive that challenge! :devious:

14. I've thought about doing shootouts, but really don't have the room for it to do a proper job on a shootout...but its possible.

I also have a feminized seed project I have been wanting to do for a while now, but has been postponed because with the product testings, I don't have the available space to do it, so not sure what my next grows will bring. Only time will tell :)

15. I hear ya bro, got a lot of my own projects on hold. Few strains im waiting to grow too. Space is always an issue unless youve got a lot of it lol

16. Hey everyone!!! I wanted to let you all know if you are looking to purchase either of the Advanced LED grow lights models I am using, I have a discount code.....

Mention the discount code "DSXTEADV1" when placing your order to receive a discount!!! Sweet!

17. So today makes day 13 of flowering in the Advanced LED XTE tent.... and I have to say things couldn't look any better. The plants seem to be in full swing flowering and the buds are developing pretty fast and what looks to be pretty dense stacking too [​IMG] I think I am going to be very pleased with the outcome of this grow [​IMG]

I seem to have fully corrected the issue with the GDP and Purple Urkle and they are thriving now but did notice a little yellowing on my Ogiesel, which I believe it may need a little more N, so after I use up my compost tea I will then do another round of earthjuice since they really seemed to like it last time. Matter of fact the plants leaf posture is still upwards towards the lights [​IMG] they seem happy and really are starting to build a lot of fragrance [​IMG]

I gave them a foliar feeding of compost tea yesterday. For my compost tea I filled a nylon with about 1/2 premixed soil, and 1/2 new worm castings and hung it into the water like a teabag. I then added some carboload for some food for the microbes, cold pressed seaweed and a few ml of humic acid. Today the mix was looking pretty good and smelled very sweet earthy so I think the plants will really enjoy it [​IMG]

Other than that, not too much to report on the flowering tent.

Here are today's photos...

DSC09770.JPG DSC09771.JPG DSC09772.JPG DSC09775.JPG DSC09776.JPG DSC09777.JPG DSC09778.JPG DSC09780.JPG DSC09781.JPG DSC09784.JPG

18. I decided that some of the girls needed some maintenance cleanup to remove some dead leaves, some of the branches that will only produce smalls, and also removed a few fan leaves that were covering up budsites and to allow better penetration in some of the more dense foliage. I didn't go overboard and really just wanted to open up the budsites slightly.

After I was done with the sliight cleanup/defoliation, I decided to just check my brix readings to see where they stand. I new that the plants seemed pretty healthy and happy due to the good leaf posture, but I wasn't really seeing much of that "plastic" high brix look and shine to them, so I guessed I was below 16 brix which seems to be where the plants really start showing the shine.

So for each leaf, I picked a older fan leaf as usual, around 4-5 nodes down as I always do to keep things consistant. I typically take the readings earlier in their daylight period, but I didn't think about it until now, so the readings might be slightly lower than in the morning hours. I took 2 readings of each leaf...one of the sap, immediately as it was removed from the plant (the little bubble of sap that forms at the cut) and then I took the 2nd reading of the mashed ball of leaf material as I usually do, squeezing a few drops onto the refractometer.

Here are the readings...

GSC
    Sap- 9 brix
    Leaf- 14.5-15 brix

Churchberry
    Sap 5.5 brix
    Leaf 14 brix

Ogiesel
    Sap- 8.5 brix
    Leaf- 15 brix

Blue Dream
    Sap- 5 brix
    Leaf- 12.5-13 brix

Purple Urkle
    Sap 11 brix
    Leaf- 16.5-17 brix

Grandaddy Purple
    Sap 7 brix
    Leaf 17 brix

DSC09785.JPG DSC09787.JPG DSC09790.JPG DSC09803.JPG

19. Hey everyone...

I thought it would be cool to shoot some close up photos of the individual LED diodes in the XTE panels to show that Advanced LED does in fact use CREE and OSRAM chips...  many LED companies like to claim Cree but only may have 1 Cree chip...Advanced uses almost all Cree and Osram, with the exception of the IR chips which I don't believe Cree makes.

Osram Oslon SSL 80 hyper red
    DSC09808.JPG

Cree XPE series Red (I think, but I am not 100% certain)
    DSC09836.JPG

Cree XTE series 5w Royal Blue
    DSC09818.JPG

CREE XTE series 5w White (not sure what color temp)
    DSC09834.JPG

IR dual diode emitters (most likely epistar since I only know of epistar and LEDEngine making IR diodes)
    DSC09828.JPG

20. Some interesting Studies comparing 12 and 13 hour daylengths in cannabis flowering..