Can you clone a autoflower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by miltyburn, Oct 12, 2014.

1. If so how do you keep the mother in good condition nice and healthy

2. #2 panda_shop, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
    Many people say that an autoflowering plant cannot be cloned. This is not true. I have successfully cloned autoflowering plants. Some were cloned before they started to flower, and some were cloned after they started to flower. The one I cloned after the mother plant started to flower grew much bigger as a result of "monster cropping." Monster cropping means the clone was taken after the mother plant starts to flower.

The mother plant should stay healthy after the cutting was taken with no additional care. Usually a clone is ready to be harvest in 60 days while a seed is ready to be harvest in 90 days. Autoflowering plants typically take 12 to 20 days to root. I always move them to bigger pot after 20 days. So in this case it's 60 days plus 20 days, which is 80 days, for the clones to be harvest.

Additional information: I use rooting power (instead of rooting gel) and I use humidity doom. I also leave the clones under the same light with their mother plants. I only take one cutting from one plant, and only at the top of the plant. I have been doing this to Vertigo and Fruit-Auto.

3. Technically you can clone an auto, but they show flowers 3 weeks after germination and you cannot hold flowering off. They stop growing roots at around 6 weeks in and finish 4 weeks after that so you cannot keep a mother plant and the new clone would finish the same time as the doner plant. Both plants will be severely stunted from the ordeal

That is true if the plant grows in an ideal condition. But, autoflowering plants are hybrids of ruderalis. Ruderalis is a tender perennial. Tender perennial means the plant will turn into an annual when the temperature is warm and the light is sufficient.

When the mother plant is under limited lighting (let's say a 20W CFL), the annual genetic will not be trigger. This means the plant will not self-destruct by age (it will live forever). After you take the cutting, you can expose the mother plant into intense lighting and it will grow big, flower, and then die - but I usually keep them under low lighting - so although they will not generate many buds, they will stay alive forever (it is similar to rejuvenation).

5. #5 GoldGrower, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014

That was a long post for a very simple point. Are you saying that an auto will continue to vegitate if restricted to low intensity lighting? 

No it will not vegetate at all because autoflowering plants do not have vegetative growth period. It will flower, and die, and then revive after 6 weeks or so.

For those who are looking for hardy perennial autoflowering plants, The Doggies Nuts Seeds Big Bad John is a good choice. You can buy it here: https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/the-doggies-nuts-seeds-big-bad-john/prod_3154.html

It is however not a true hardy perennial autoflowering plants, but it is very closed to one. When the light intensity is around 25,000 lux being used for the plant for around 24 hours, it will still trigger the annual genetic, but that would be border line over-lighting.

7. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I really don't see any point in growing an autoflower plant like that panda_shop.

@op: I wouldn't even bother. Get yourself some good photos.

8. #8 Bubbashine, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Why not just grow photoperiod ? £125 for 10 fucking seeds LMFAO wtf are they made of gold ? I would get 5 10 packs of dynasty for £72 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. A clone is the same age as the mother. So say you clone when the mother at 2 months old then the clone would be 2 months old. So wouldn't it just go ahead and flower about the same time as the mother, creating a tiny plant with hardly any yield? Unless you water it from the fountain of youth, you're fucked. Maybe for micro grows if it works, but I don't want to grow micro plants. I'll stick with photos

10. #10 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014

11. Yeah this isnt possible....
    Chef.

They do vegitate, they veg for 3 weeks before flowering. If it's flowered and has died, and presumably you have cut the bud off, how can it come back alive? And more importantly come back alive and not veg. None of this makes any sense. Can you put some photos up of a plant "reviving"? 

Interesting. I normally see the plant having no vegetative stage because I consider the period early flowering stage. This is because the plant would normally have some type of buds around.

What I mean by reviving is that the plant will grow out new leaves from the branches, just like a tree in the spring.

I currently only have one recently revived plant. You can see in the photos there are some small dead buds from the last life cycle (I usually leave the small buds on and only remove the dead leaves).

IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG

14. Can't clone or reveg an autoflower period.

Chef.

Maybe some of the confusion is purely semantics then, but I just can't understand an auto growing again once it has finished flowering. To reveg a photoperiod sensitive plant you have to put it on 18+ hours but it will grow again. Getting an auto to do this has been impossible in my eyes but I have to admit I have never tried it. When you say it dies and then comes back to life you can't actually mean it's died though right? It sounds like you are calling it a zombie or something. 

So basically you are saying that autos are not annual, and are actually perennial? This is the first time I have heard of this. Would it even be worth keeping though? How well do they do? How long is the dormancy period

Hey! I don't recommend taking them too seriously in terms of for the purpose of harvesting. I keep them as decorative plants and they smell good. Keeping the plants perennial also means telling the plant that it's okay to not produce offsprings, this will result at smaller buddings. Usually a plant can produce anywhere between 5 to 15 grams of buds. When the plant dies, it will lose all of its leaves like trees. The leaves will turn yellow and eventually fall (I just cut the branches before that even happen to preserve more energy for the plant). It will normally take 6 weeks to 8 weeks for the plant to develop new leaves. If they don't I usually just throw them out as they might have use up all their energy (yes, eventually perennial plants die like all other creatures do) or simply have triggered the self-destructive genetic during one very sunny afternoon.

17. I wouldn't believe it either, it makes no sense what so ever. But yes, I have actually seen an auto grown as a perenial. My friend kept the same auto growing for almost a year. He would harvest it, then it would go through a short phase of minor vegetative growth and then flower again. I have no idea how it worked, and wish I could explain it. That being said, subsequent flowerings were pathetic and it was a scrawny messed up looking plant that only yielded a gram or two per cycle. In my opinion it was a waste of floor space, but he insisted n keeping it alive.

True, here is one I got to root and this was what it looked like after 4 months. I ripped it up and threw it in the garbage.

View attachment 1314060

19. Ultimately cannabis plants all work the same way. It's a species that is turning from perennial to annual. I think the annual genetic is ultimately triggered by growth hormone. When the plant has a good living condition, it will produce lots of growth hormone, and then it knows that it will have lots of offsprings so it has no reason to continue its life. Some people use growth hormone to produce seeds from female plants. I believe the method is triggering similar genetic sequence.

I would consider this guy pretty big for a perennial. My perennials are usually this size or smaller.