NorthernBerry Private Paradise - First Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by nero, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Thanks!!!

I have not added any nutrients or anything yet. But I think at the start of week 2 I will need to start them on a regimen, What do you recommend?

2. I would recommend not using a regimen. xD Right now since they are still babies you would be fine with a simple top dress of vermicompost every now and then. Keep them in the 2gal pots for now, I use 1gal and plants will do fine for about a month in a 1gal so u have time in that pot. While those plants are getting their legs why not get some soil cooking.

For a simple and cheap soil mix to start off with and see the results here is a mix for a c.f. (7.5gal) of soil:

2.5gallons of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
    2.5gal of Humus (Compost or Vermicompost or a mix of both) 
    2.5gal of aeration (perlite, pumice, lava rock, or shale)
    This is known as the "Base Mix". You'll want to make sure your Peat Moss is wet if its not already wet when u purchase it. Way I do it (probably not the best way) is I take a few gallon sized plastic bags and poke them over and over with a large safety pin. I then have a  5gal bucket of water I have let sit overnight with an airstone. Take a chunk of peat moss and place it into the gallon bag and break it up, now submerge the lower half of the bag into the 5gal bucket of water. You will see that even if you completely submerge it once you pull it out of the water it will just run off and the inside of the peat will be bone dry. So start squeezing and moving around the peat moss while still in the bag but submerged in the water until you feel it is hydrated enough to be measured and added to the mix. Takes a while and is tiring if doing large batches, but when u are looking at how good your girls are responding to it. Its nice to think "I hand squeezed virtually every inch of that soil" xD

To that add 1cup Oyster shell flour, 2cups kelp meal, 1.5cups Dry Organic Fertilizer, & 4cups of Rock Dust (Per cubic foot). Moisten, mix and let it sit for 3-4 weeks.

Again this is just a basic mix, there is such a wide array of amazing things you can add and experiment with. If you want to you can also add 1cup Neem meal, & 1Cup Crab/Crustacean meal (per c.f.) for tremendous benefits. The major benefit about living soil is that you don't have to replace it after each grow, just lightly re amend every other crop to keep things in a constant break down and your set. Those threads I linked earlier will tell you everything I just did and then some! Treasure troves of knowledge!

Don't forget to let the soil sit or "cook" for 3-4 weeks. You can let the soil sit in the pots you will be transplanting into to make sure you don't disturb the colonies set up by the microbes. Just make sure to keep the soil moist as you would if a plant was planted into it. This is a mix that is good for established teens and adult plants. All clones/seeds need is a mix of 20% quality Vermicompost, 80% Peat Moss.

Now when it comes down to where to get all this, I live in the middle of no where so I had to order most my amendments offline from Buildasoil (amazing company also does free shipping). But the stuff for the "Base mix" you can find at lowes or home depot. Its always best to check around locally tho to see if you can find better prices on bulk items. Check seed & feed stores, also check around local landscaping yards and stone cutting businesses for the Rock Dust (Dust from igneous rock like Granite, Basalt, Glacial etc.). Just be sure to check how it is they cut their stone as sometimes u can get more then what you want in the "slurry" (resins, paintings, shavings, sand etc.).

3. Nice and detailed .. I want to try organic

Sent from my LG-D850 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I am going to save your post and use it to start making my soil. When  do you think I should mix in some castings? I am on day 13 today. Maybe day 20 once they have a couple branches before I add any additional nutrients.

5. Worm castings are good whenever

6. Oh cool. I will pick some up tomorrow. I'll throw like a cup or 2 into a gallon of fox farm and spread it around for some more support on some of the plants.

7. Also add some to water with honey or molasses and bubble it for 24 to 36 hours and water with that too

8. Hmmmm, can you explain that just a little bit? Just aerate some water with worm castings and a few drizzles of honey for one of my next watering sessions?

9. Yes sir you can also add aloe vera coconut kelp... You take water add castings and honey or molasses and aerate the micrboes will start to flourish in the soup and so it helps break down stuff quicker and adds diversity to your soil
    That's the basics that I understand maybe someone with better knowledge will chime in

10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCPV0Y55cw

I assume this is what you are talking about. I will do this. My plants are in for a treat.

11. You got it sir

12. Yippee!!! Oh boy how I love projects to occupy my time.

13. That was cool . but I have a question . what do u do with all that tea. If it has the be used in 24 hours

Sent from my LG-D850 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Well that amount was for a much bigger purpose. You can make as much or as little as you need, I am assuming. Maybe do it in a 2 gallon bucket instead of a 5. The people in that video make that stuff for football fields and whatnot.

15. Yea they do it for lawns I'd say you can get away with a 2 gallon buckey

16. Since we were talking about early-on pH worries. I suppose i'll keep asking... 

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]What will the pH of the tea be at?[/SIZE]

17. You won't need to pH that at all and with the addition of the tea you may not have to pH at all at this point the microbes pH the soil naturally I never pH ever any more like I said I did twice and it drove me bonkera

18. Awesome, that means my plants will now have 0 chemicals added.

19. Exactly where u want to be I mean you can pH test the soup once its done just to see for your self