cannabis does not make you more creative?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by THEeric, Oct 10, 2014.

1. OK gotta give you that one.

Weed most certainly makes people more accepting of shitty realities like having to work :lol:

"what is a bunny of fish?" - Christopher Brown

2. I vape and eat edibles every day and am far from lazy.

3. No doubt. And I admit I'm.high most of the time.I'm not at work LOL

I couldn't work high. Im too competitive

hey man. ba-a-a-ack off. I can be a sheep all I want!

4. #24 jayfoxpox, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
    It's likely people that get high and work developed a behavior tolerance to compensate for symptoms that arise from this. Like maybe when they first start, they'll get a dip in productivity, then as time progresses, their productivity returns to baseline I remember a diagram from my neuropsych class where long term users had more activity in the part of the brain, which I think was the prefrontal cortex for a working memory task (cant remember what part of the brain nor the test). and from what i learnt from pharmacology cbd increase neurogenesis, but doesn't seem to enhance memory. The act of trying to be productive while high, is likely going to engage your brains in ways not possible while sober , leading to more neurogenis in particular areas of the brain that is the source of the compensatory behavior..

to support this point , hippocampus is known to be very important for not only memory but spatial navigation.  The morris water maze , where you place a rat ina round pool of water, and either have a platform that above or below the water , and mice with their hippocampuse impaired have takes a lot longer time to find it and doesnt seem find the platform any faster on later trials. London taxi drivers have enlarged hippocampus, while this is a correlation, it's likely due to their job requiring them to remember things like the fastest route from attraction A to attraction B.
    Bus driver who have a similar role, but also differ develop their hippo campus differently since sub parts of the hippo campus have different roles.

5. i agree with that 100%

weed doesnt make you more creative, it just gives you a different perspective on what you already know.

i know for a fact that if i had to come up with ideas high, id have troubles coming up with as many than if i was sober.

im a musician, i write guitar music and vocals. i find im waaay more creative sober. when im high i find myself playing stuff i already know instead of improvising. if i do improvise high, its usually revolves around the basic scale shapes ive mastered. it sure sounds dope hearing a guitar sing from the high perspective. but being sober allows me to explore new fretboard territory with precision. im better at predicting the correct notes.

so yeah i mean, weed just enhances the senses. i feel it dulls the creativity though.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Weed doesn't make it impossible to come up with creative solutions, it makes the problems that need solutions unimportant.

"They're going to cut off my electricity? Good I have an excuse to eat the rest of the ice cream by candle light."

7. This is showing concrete solutions. What about something with an infinite amount of solutions like music or art? They can't quantify those things so they can't measure them and say someone did them better or worse. They already did that brain scan on that famous jazz pianist that showed your short term memory centers in your brain shut off when improvising music. so if pot does the same thing why wouldn't that be a creativity enhancer? 

8. correlation doesn't equal causation

And short term.memory isn't the only thing weed effects

I Persinally tthing weed does make.you more creative in more ways than one. I just get lazy and unmotivated and can't really use that creativitt

9. I work in a restaurant and yes I would say some people have very good benefit from cannabis. smoke a little before the rush hits and they are flying orders out.

that being said some people cant handle it at all and become retarded.

Hey neighbor.  I'm up in the Four Corners area.  Nice to see another nuevo mexicano on here.  :p

11. #31 chiefton8, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014

If I smoked 3 joints, then yeah I'm not coming up with anything creative. 

Though I often smoke (or eat a muffin) before taking my dog for a run in the woods so that I can think about my research projects. I never go into the lab and physically do my job while high, but there is no doubt that cannabis allows me to think about my research without feeling the weight of the stress trying to make it in the academic world.

12. haha sup dude. im more southern central area

13. This

Based on my experience I'd say you're wrong but you wouldn't believe me anyways. I'm stoned from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed. I hold down a full time position at work with managerial duties and I've never had a complaint about my output. Granted I have a high tolerance and Im not doing massive bong hoots like if I was on my off time.

15. You should take some actual.scientific tests to see if you perform better high or sober

I bet you'll do better sober on almsot everything

16. Different strokes for different folks.. I know I usually do better with my work when smoking during work. Not getting baked of course, but high. I got busted at work smoking bout a month ago. Not really busted busted, but I guess I still smelled of it when I walked through the office and someone mentioned it to me and that pretty much everyone knows now. I haven't smoked at work since then, even though I am pretty sure they're assuming I still am.. but the other day I was trying to focus and get shit done and it just wasn't happening and the one girl was like "you need to smoke.." And back when I used to build those HHO cells, the boss would give me weed to smoke and just build build build..

But occasionally you 'accidentally' get too high and would prefer to just relax.. I haven't gotten anything done this week at work really, aside from smoking a bunch of cigarettes and walking through the woods. I think they think I am still smoking there and just covering my ass good since getting found out, but I really don't feel like trying to get all ninja like with my smoking.

17. I agree that weed alters your thought process which allows you to think outside the box.

18. So well put, it seems to me that people think they're not creative. If you want to be more creative just realize that you can control every thought that goes through your brain. You can create any state of mind that you want, you can be as creative as you want. You just have to figure out what triggers your most creative and productive states. You can use a technique used in NLP called "anchoring". It's a way of using external stimulus to trigger a psychological reaction. Just remember, every thought, every feeling, every emotion, every sound, every picture and visualization that happens in your mind can be controlled. When you feel "lazy" realize that YOU are creating that feeling within yourself, dont blame in on the weed man!  :bongin:

19. #39 cannabisdayzzzd, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    They might have done poorly on a mental test, but you can't tell me cannabis doesn't make you think outside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I feel like alot of people use weed as a scapegoat to be lazy. I know my laziest friends smoke the most weed