Feeding Coco Every Day?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by MisterWinter, Oct 9, 2014.

1. So... um, this might be kind of a dumb question but do you guys feed every day? And those that do, I'm assuming you're not watering til runoff every time you feed (?). Seems like that would be expensive and kind of a waste of nutes. Am I ok doing small daily feedings and one full runoff watering a week? What do you guys do?

2. Im bottom feeding mine, there 3 weeks into flowering and loving it. I started the nutes at half streignth and work upto full, i feed every time there tray is dry

3. Water it with nutes, like you would water a plant in soil. So just when the container gets dry, say once a week in veg and once every few days in flower. It wont hurt to water every day but it is a waste. You dont need as much run off as people claim either, i use blumats which auto water with little or no run off. I flush once or twice in the flower cycle to compenaate.

4. I was told to add regular a+b every feeding then once a week add the bloom boosters and sweets and all the additives once a week, any opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I just use canna A and canna B then ill use the canna pk

6. Thats a good strategy. I put just my A and B in my autofeeder tank because some of the additives gunk up my drippers, then once a week or everyother week i feed to excess with my additives. The more i mess around though the less vaule i think i get from the additives. You can also feed all the additives and nutes everytime you water, wont hurt a thing as long as your ppm is in range.

7. Oh and just for clarification, you should have nutrients in every watering you do with coco. You should never water with just water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why's that? Never heard this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. Coco is a sterile medium.

10. I recommend water till about 20% runoff every watering. and keep a rotation for each watering. Feed,Feed,Regular water. With a flush every 4 weeks...

bottom feeding is good too as long as u flush every few weeks.. especially if your using fox farms, very heavy in salts and they build up and cause lots of problems.

11. #13 Grizzant420, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    I top feed into self watering pots. My schedule is Feed water water Feed. The thing with with coco is just don't let it dry out. I wait till the plant drinks the feed or water before hitting with refreshments again.

12. #14 kingkelly91, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
    I feed every day to 20 percent runoff drain to waste. With full nutes 1300 -1400 ppm in flower right now with beautiful results. Coco is great because u can do what ever you want kinda.....treat it like soil and your plants will grow but treat it like hydro and your plants will thrive. I feed in flower up to 6 times a day and in veg twice. Keep that shit wet. I get roots growing out the bottom of my smartpots when done this way and plants love it. I use the cns 17 line. If anyone wants more info on my setup check out my journal. Happy growing blades.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1293071-Urban-rasta-2-4*4-tents

13. Does feeding every time also apply to seedlings?

14. Wow, a lot of disparity among the different methods people use. Kinda mirrors the general disparity across the internets about it.
    This first run has been a learning experience and I've gone through a few different feed/water methods. Right now I've got 4 plants, 2 going into the second week of flower and 2 going into the first. They are all in 3 gal smart pots. Right now I'm topfeeding once every 36 hours to the tune of about 32oz based on weight and doing a full flush every two weeks. Every watering is a feeding, so they're not getting plain water at all any more. They seem to like it.

This is changed from the first 3-4 weeks where I just did a weekly flush and one (small) supplemental midweek watering...mostly out of necessity because they're drinking like fish now.. whereas before the medium didn't even completely dry between weekly flushes and I sometimes only did the supplemental watering because it seemed wrong to just not water it for a whole week.

How do you bottomfeed? Do you drop the pots in a reservoir and let them soak? I did try that once but didn't keep it up because I got paranoid about salt buildup and also didn't like the idea of the plants sharing water. I'm interested what other methods are out there though.

16. I use seperate big dish things that the bucket sits in. I flushed before i switched to flower then started neuts again

cns17, isn't that a cheaper $$ organic botanicare set?!

18. #20 drewdog420, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
    I was wondering the same thing too. Also I am in 5 gal smart pots hand watering using canna coco a,b, and cannazyme. I water each plant 1 gal per plant and it seems to be about 3-4 days before the pots are light. Am I watering enough? Not enough? Also should I flush before I flip to flower? I'm not used to flushing since I have been growing mostly organic in soil but when I did chemical nutes in soil I flushed by watering the same amount as the pot size. I haven't yet done a flush and they're all about 18 inches tall. I'm growing from seed If that makes a difference. So far I have fed every watering since I transplanted into the 5gal pots at full strength at recommended dosage on the bottles.