Theres a skunk in the closet (My First Grow, CFL)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mrfett3463, Oct 7, 2014.

1. I started writing this all for my personal records but with the plants looking good and not dead yet lol I decided to start a journal for everyone to see. So that's why it's written the way it is so far.

First! I'm broke as hell and out of weed and don't have a good hookup due to recently moving. I am growing to help with complications and problems related to my Multiple Sclerosis. I was diagnosed back in 2012 and fight extreme fatigue, exhaustion, pain, muscle spasms, vision problems, balance issues, my hands “lock up”, depression, anxiety, insomnia, pressure in the eye, eyes not adjusting right or very quick to light and darkness, and numbness and tingling below the waist. I'm doing this SUPER CHEAP due to being broke and having to quit my job and move. This is my first time real attempt at growing. So I would love any help or comments. Please don't be rude or discouraging. And thanks in advance for all the help and comments. I will try to keep this updated on a daily or every other day basis. GC is a great community and I respect so many growers on here. I dont remember who is was but they mentioned the "K.I.S.S" method lol and thats what I am going by. I figure if I give the girls the basics of what they need and keep them happy, mother nature will do the rest.

This is my first time growing and ordering seeds online and trying to just experiment and to learn, kind of a proof of concept. My total goal for this grow is 2oz and the knowledge learned. I have done more reading, watching videos, and talking to my friends who grow than I could even list and also took horticulture in college as well (great class, and the teacher was Dr. Orange lol not shitting you). So not a total noob but have tons to learn. I plan on doing a CFL grow because of the low energy cost and being able to get lights cheep or free. I would love to go full LED but that will come in time. I generally only smoke if I'm having a rough day or at night before bed. I can make a ½ oz last 4 months if I'm careful, so this isn't about giant yields, just about having what I need to get by and maybe having some trim to make some butter or oil.

Ordered a single seed from Herbie on Sept 3rd in the evening. Using “Super Stealth” shipping.

Got the package Sept 15 and I am very pleased. The packaging was great too. It may have been in the box since Friday but I was out of town for the weekend.

1x "Kera Seeds" Amsterdam Cheese (Feminized)

And Freebies :)

1x "Delicious Seeds" Critical Super Silver Haze (Feminized)

2x "Sleestack" Skunk (Regular)

It didn't take long and and was more than worth it and I loved the huge selection. As for shipping time it was as fast as you could expect for something to travel so far and they didn't ship with a tracking number due to packages being grabbed, so it may have been stuck in customs for a few days. The seeds all looked very healthy with nice color and stripes. The cheese seed was small compared to the others though.

I'm going to start them by sinking them in water then moving to the “paper towel method” then move to small cups with Fox Farm “Ocean Forest” then transplant to bigger pots with FFOF and figure out nutrients soon. I need a good cheep veg and flower nutrients. The FFOF has enough if not a little too much to keep them going for a few weeks.

Sept 15<sup>th</sup> 11:45 pm I decided to start the two Skunk seeds just to make sure I do it right, before starting the feminized seeds. Don't wanna kill the ladies.

My only physical growing experience is just starting a bag seed and got it to about 7in in the window (with major stretching) with the paper towel method and a "Jiffy Plug" and a 4in pot before I messed with it too stoned and broke the little one :( It was growing sideways and I tried to prop it up and killed it (I still feel bad for the potential life I ended too soon.)

I am starting the two Skunk seeds by soaking them in water for a few hours and then moving to the paper towel method once they sink. I popped them both into a shot glass of tap water and one sunk right away and the other floated. The sinker popped up and down a little and now is sunk about 30mins after putting them in and the other is still floating. I have them in a drawer that is at 78 degrees F. It's been pretty hot here with it being late summer.

Sept 16<sup>th</sup> 2:30 am both seeds have sunk and I placed them in 3 moist paper towels and into a sandwich bag. I then put the bag into a bowl and made sure they were on the side of the bowl on a angle / so any extra water will drain to the bottom of the bag. Then I covered with aluminum foil to keep the light out and placed it on my PC tower to keep them warm. I'll check them tomorrow :) With some luck I might have some tap roots.

Sept 16<sup>th</sup> 11:30 pm One seed has a small tap root appearing about 2mm in length. The other appears to be opening but not sure. It's only been 24 hours so I'm not worried. Gonna give it like another 12-24 hours before planting.

Sept 17<sup>th</sup> 2:00 pm Both seeds had nice little tap roots. I planted both of them in the disposable cups with FFOF about 1/3in-1/4in deep. I watered the soil before hand and let them drain for a couple hours. Now they are currently under a 20W CFL 5000K and two 48in 40w 6500k Florescents on a 18/6 light schedule. I am keeping the lights 2-4in away.

Sept 18<sup>th</sup> 5:00 pm Skunk #1 I can see a little green wanting to poke trough the soil. Skunk #2 still below soil. Temperature is sitting at 84 F. Little hot but it's been hot and humid today. Have fan on them on slow.

Sept 21 11:00 pm Started Cheese and SS Haze in water. Both floating.

Sept 22 1:30 am Cheese Sank in water, SS Haze floating still.
    3:30 am Both sunk so planted in paper towels and placed in drawer.
    1:30 pm Both Skunks are doing good, and having a set of true leaves forming. Added a 2<sup>nd</sup> 20w CFL 5000K. So total now is two 20w 5000k CFL's and the two 40w 48in 6500k florescent and the 10in fan, room temp sits in the low to mid 80's :( not the best but it's been hot and humid here still. Started soil for the Cheese and SS Haze by filling cups, watering, and then letting drain.
    7:00 pm Skunk #1 is at 1in and looking strong but shorter, adult leaves look healthier than skunk #2 but still tiny. Skunk #2 is 1.5in and 2<sup>nd</sup> set of leaves is TINY and forming. It might be stretching for light and the leaf tips are kind of curled (heat?) Got the temperature to 78F now. It's cooling off outside and I opened the closet and moved the fan to get more fresh air in.

I'm debating on keeping them 18/6 lighting till the end of the month then trying 12/12. I have been out of weed for almost a month and been reading a lot on “12/12 from seed”. I don't expect a huge yield but I don't smoke much either. So if I could get 2oz out of 4 plants that would keep me going for a while. A grow or two a year and I'd be set for sure, and it would also open up the opportunity to try many strains and keep electricity at a lower cost. If this pans out then next time I will do more plants and hopefully have better lighting.

Sept 23<sup>rd</sup> 12:01 am Cheese had tap root showing so I planted in FFOF. Approximately 1/4in deep and placed under lights.
    11:45 am Tap root on SS Haze was 1/4in so I planted and placed under lights.

Sept 24<sup>th</sup> 12:00 pm Cheese seedling has broke surface. SS Haze still below surface. Watered the skunks till runoff, was really dry. And watered seedlings slightly due to slightly too dry soil. Skunks look healthy.
    6:00 pm Skunk #1 is 1.25 in tall, Skunk #2 is 1.5in tall.

Sept 26<sup>th</sup> 12:30 pm Skunk #1 1.5in, Skunk #2 2in, Cheese 1.25in (maybe stretching for light), SS Haze 1in. Soil is a little moist but have to water for the weekend. Skunks have nice adult leaves coming in and are happy. Others are still seedlings. Skunk #1 has a little deforming in lower adult leaf not sure if from heat, or being too low in cup and deforming, but not too worried.

Sept 29<sup>th</sup> 10:30 pm All good. Skunks are getting big. Skunk #1 Leaning a bit, 3 sets adult leaves, 2in tall to top center node, 4<sup>th</sup> set of leaves coming in. Skunk #2 is 2.5in tall, straight, 4<sup>th</sup> set of leaves coming in. Cheese 1.5in(est) tall, stretched a little but OK. SS Haze 1.75in (est) tall little stretched. Both cheese and SS Haze have adult leaves and 2<sup>nd</sup> set coming in. Trying to decide still how long to veg.

Oct 1<sup>st</sup> 2am... I think I fucked up... I just transplanted them all cause I freaked out about root bound plants and transferred Skunk #1 and it's in shock, Skunk #2 is doing the best. Cheese and SS might have got switched... One went OK, one fell completely out and had to unbury it... so we will see. Pot Gods willing they will make it. It does look better though. I will need more light and better fan placement now with the bigger pots. The pots are (guessing here) 1.5 - 2 gallon and a 2.5 – 3.5 gallon. All of them are bigger then a milk jug so I know they are more then a gallon. And I'm pretty much out of soil after four little cups and the pots. I had 1.5 cubic feet of FFOF which equals 11.2 gallons.
    9:45pm Plants all look happy and healthy :D Placed a “Y” splitter and another 20w 5000K CFL in. So each Skunk has a 20w CFL and the Cheese and SS are sharing one, plus the florescent covering them all. I will water tomorrow and figure out better lighting tomorrow. Also got the Cheese and SS Haze sorted out with help from all the pics I've taken. And I will NEVER plant in small cups again... Screw transplanting, straight into the big pots next time. Still using 18/6 lighting. Also got a good location for the fan figured out.

Oct 2<sup>nd</sup> 4pm Plants all look good and happy but SS Haze 2<sup>nd</sup> set of leaves is drooping a little. I think it could just still be in a little shock. Seen some new growth coming in on all of them and all nice and green. Cheese still has a little discoloring on leafs but nothing to worry about I think. I watered them all pretty well since the soil was dry and it was dry soil I transplanted them in into. I plan on not re-watering till Monday, don't wanna over water. Temp is holding at 78F. Took pics again. Time to get stuff done around the house then later tonight figure out the best way to add another 20w 5000K CFL. Also need to figure out a better way to seal the grow room for light leaks. Don't want to hermie them during flowering.
    8:00pm got the other light and “Y” splitter in there. So now at full power with the four CFL's and the florescent :D
    Height after transplanted
    Skunk #1 2 1/4in
    Skunk #2 3 1/4in
    Cheese 1 1/4in
    SS Haze 1 1/4in
    I am thinking slow growth at this point till the root system reestablishes into the bigger pot and then they should take off. Going to be gone during the weekend so can't rotate the pots like normal so we will see how big they get and how much they move towards the lights.

Oct 03 2:00pm Water approximately 2.5 gallons till runoff. Had about a half gallon of run off. All plants look good and are growing. Temperature is 76F. New growth on all plants. Should be set for the weekend. Also rotated all pots. Need better drainage holes in SS Haze. Also need better way to remove drainage from tray. I places wedges under to get the water to flow to the front left corner. Thinking about making a hole and using a tube to drain into a bucket underneath. But I might have problems when I relocate to them to the floor for the bigger plants. For now I'll use a towel and bucket. Kinda a PIA but it works.

Oct 05 11:00pm Skunks have grown like crazy and so have the Cheese and SS Haze. Skunks look super healthy and happy while the Cheese and SS Haze look happy but have discoloring on the leaves. I believe the soil is just too hot for them. But they are growing and still way alive so I will just let them grow through it and keep a eye on them. Soil is still moist from the last watering, think I can go 2 days or so before watering again.

Height and Sets of full leaves, not including new on<span style="font-style:normal;">es or cotyledon</span>
    Skunk #1     4.25in,  5 Leaves forming at nodes too
    Skunk #2     3.5in,    5 Leaves forming at nodes too
    Cheese       1.5in,    3
    SS Haze      1.5in,    3

Good growth for the weekend, measurements are close but maybe slightly off due to not being able to get my ruler close enough to accurately measure. I try to measure to the top of the stem at the base of the new growth.

Oct 06 4:00pm Plants all doing good soil is still slightly moist, no need to water today I will tomorrow. New growth on all of them. Cheese and SS Haze are still slightly discolored but I still think its just because of the hot soil or lower quality genetics. The Skunks love it though and when close to them I can smell them slightly :). This weekend planning on getting four more “Y” splitters and adding four more 23w CFL's. Still not sure when to start 12/12 and switch my florescents over to the lower K, with my 2oz goal in mind and hopefully be done growing by the end of the year. If all four plants are female I don't think my 2oz goal is outrageous, if the Skunks are both male I would be total bumed out because they are the biggest and healthiest of them all but reading a lot about 12/12 from seed I may still be able to hit close to my 2oz with my Cheese (fem) and SS Haze (fem).

Equipment list

Random equipment and supplies...
    Nice scissors (free)
    Magnifying Glass (free)
    Duct tape and masking tape (free)
    Wood stakes (free)
    Spray bottle ($1)
    String (free)
    Tools to make box (free)
    Thumb tacks (free)
    Tweezers (free)
    Panda Express Chop Sticks (free)
    Sun Glasses, protect your eyes (free)
    Sharpies (free)
    Water bottles with holes in the lid (free)
    Old towels (free)
    Buckets (free)

Equipment for starting seeds and sprouts
    Seeds from Herbie ($26.18 shipped)
    Tupperware (free)
    Cling wrap (free)
    Shot glass (free)
    Sandwich bags (free)
    Paper towels (free)
    Water (free)
    Disposable cups (free)
    1.5 cubic feet Fox Farms Ocean Forest ($12 Hydro store)
    Random Lights and sockets (free)

Veg Stage
    Wood frame box 20in wide x 4.5ft long x 4 ft tall- scrap wood (free)
    White shower curtains for now ($2 dollar store)
    10in fan (free)
    Random pots and buckets from around the shed and house. 4in to 5 gal (free)
    1x 2 bulb 48in T12 light housing/ballast from the shed (free)
    2x GE 48in T12 40w 6500k (2900 lumens each) ($9.98 Lowes)
    4x Maxlite 20w 5000k CFLs 1200 lumens (free)
    Light timer (free from Xmas lights)
    Thermometer ($0.98 Lowes)
    Power Strip (free)
    Extension Cord (free)
    Table and stands to bump up plants (free)
    2x Y Splitters for light sockets ($4.96 Home Depot)

Flower Stage
    2x Sylvania 48in T12 40w 3500k (2100 lumens each) (Free)
    4pk 23w 2700k CFL's 1600 lumens ($7.97 Home Depot)

More to come...
    Total Spent so far $65.06 not bad  :smoke:  :bongin:

Here's some pics so far. I'll try to post them in order, oldest to newest. Thanks again for checking out my grow :)

Attached Files:

2. and they're off! subbing for sure! and thanks for all of the little time-stamped notations of your work! :cool:

3. Thanks :bongin:

Lol the first post is kinda overwhemling I know. All the notes are just from my personal notes. Only way to know what I have done and haven't done. I can't remember things to save my life lol.

4. Sup dude I would definitely drop that 4ft fluorescent right over ur plants and turn off the cfls for now ..keep an eye on the temp though ..just my opinion..every dollar counts and rockin an extra 3 23watt cfls will bring the electric bill up + leaving that fluorescent that high ur actually losing those lumens ..everything is looking good ..good job

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. What's up man? Yeah I know the fluorescent was kinda waisted that far from them so I just redid my set up and now they are all 2-3in directly under the fluorescent. I am watching the temps now. I also moved the CFL's again too. I don't mind the CFL's going I have ran the numbers and am fine with how much they are costing.

I also just FIM'd my Skunk #2 and thinking about doing it to Skunk #1 as well. I may give it a couple days to see how the first one reacts. I have never FIM'd before. I think I did it right but maybe cut off a little more then I should have. So we will see. It's called a FIM for a reason.

Thanks for the advise :smoke:

Before and after FIM'ing pics. Sorry for the crappy lighting and pics I'm using my phone and no flash or anything special.

Attached Files:

6. #6 mrfett3463, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    Just a minor pic update. Didn't do much but rotate the pots and took some pics. I will measure heights tomorrow afternoon. The ladies will be going to bed soon and I'm a few beers in so shouldn't mess with them lol. It's been hot and humid here today and temps have been 80-82 just been trying to cool them off all day, finally cooling down to 76.

Still not sure when to kick them to 12/12. Shooting for a 2oz goal total and quick as possible. Any advise would be much appreciated :bongin:

Attached Files:

7. Also I noticed something odd the last couple nights. Skunk #1's biggest set of fan leaves tends to droop a little the last hour or two of the light cycle. Then when I check them in the morning it's just back to normal. Any ideas?

8. Another little update
    Plants look good and all still have moist soil. Skunk #1's leaves that were drooping last night are perked up and fine today, so we will see about later tonight towards the end of the light cycle. Temp is about 78-80 today so I opened the room to cool it down.

Height and Sets of full leaves, not including new ones or cotyledon
    Skunk #1:
    5.25in
    6 sets of leaves and leaves at nodes

Skunk #2: FIM'ed
    5.5in
    5 sets of leaves and leaves at nodes

Cheese:
    1.75in
    4 sets of leaves and tiny leaves forming at nodes

SS Haze:
    1.75in
    4 sets of leaves and tiny leaves forming at nodes

9. Well just got back from a long weekend and good thing I came home when I did. I watered the ladies well before leaving and also lowered my Skunks because I was afraid of them hitting the lights. Well I got home and they are all doing good but one of the Skunk's fan leaves was touching a CFL. No damage done but a little curling on the leaf tips from the heat, she will recover.

And holy crap they grew! I just did a quick measure and looks like the skunks are about 9in... Also I noticed when I walked in my room I could smell them slightly before even opening my closet. Time to start thinking about getting a Ona Gel I think. I am just growing in my closet so I can't really do a carbon filter. The people I live with are cool with it but being non smokers they don't want to smell it.

Official measurements
    Height
    Skunk #1:
    8.25in

Skunk #2: FIM'ed but I missed lol
    8.75in

Cheese:
    2.75in
    5 sets of leaves and leaves forming at nodes + new growth

SS Haze:
    2.5in
    5 sets of leaves and leaves forming at nodes + new growth

I still can't believe I messed up a FIM but I know know where I messed up for the future. I didn't cut low enough. I think this first grow I'm just going to let them be au naturel.  Poor Skunk #2 now has a bad hair cut because of me lol. Must be embarrassing in front of the others :p

So anyone got any input on flowering? I'm shooting for 2oz total and being done around the end or the year. Do you think if I kick them into 12/12 I could achieve it? I also got some more splitters so I can add more 23w 2700k CFL's and switch out the florescents for my lower K ones.

Thanks in advance :bongin:

10. Forgot the new pics. Sorry once again crappy phone pics.

Attached Files:

11. Haven't updated this week at all, just because things have been kinda crazy around here and the plants are just veggin out, nothing much to report on. Killed a little flying bug in my grow area and looked really hard for about 30 mins and moved soil around and didn't see anything so I think he was just a bug doing bug things.

Took some new pics today. Watered on Tuesday and will water tomorrow before I head off for the weekend. They are all getting big and the Cheese and Super Silver Haze are really starting to bush out, still not that tall though. Temp has been sitting around 74-78 during the day. Skunk #2 that I tried to FIM and missed is still happy and healthy just still has a bad haircut. Skunk #1 has 2 sets of triplet leaves and a 3rd set coming in. That's kinda cool to see.

Official measurements
    Height
    Skunk #1:
    10.5in

11in

Cheese:
    3.5in
    6 sets of leaves and starting to bush out + new growth

SS Haze:
    4in
    7 sets of leaves and bushing out + new growth

I have a feeling that the Cheese and SS Haze will take off this weekend. They are a little slower growing in height then my Skunks were at the same age. Also looking at some nutes this weekend. They all still are growing good and have good color but I know the FFOF that I transplanted into will run out soon. Skunk #1 fan leaves still start to droop the last 2 hours of the light cycle. I still don't know why but it's ok again in the morning. I'm gonna have to reasearch it. If anyone knows why or has a idea I'd love to hear it.

Well time to read up on GC, make some tea and go to bed. Sorry once again for the cell pics.

Attached Files:

12. Well got back from the weekend and just a couple pic updates. Soil is still moist in the bigger pots I will water the others tomorrow. Everything looks good not much to report other then growth.

Official measurements
    Height
    Skunk #1:
    13.5in

14in

Cheese:
    4.5in

SS Haze:
    5in

They grow up so fast. I'm installing all my splitters, and swithing my lights to the lower K tomorrow, and going 12/12. Im starting to worry about space. So hopefully the Skunks are both girls.

Attached Files:

13. #13 mrfett3463, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    Been crazy for a while here. So here's the update.

Official measurements
    Height
    Skunk #1:
    19.5in and FIM'd

18.25in Failed FIM

Cheese:
    7.5in Natural

SS Haze:
    8.5in Natural

Switched to 12/12 on the 20th so they have been on 12/12 for a week and great news... Both Skunks are Female! The Cheese and SS Haze are "Fem" seeds but not showing sex yet.

Currently running for lights
    2x Sylvania 48in T12 40w 3500k (2100 lumens each)
    4pk 23w 2700k CFL's (1600 lumens each)
    2x Maxlite 20w 5000k CFLs (1200 lumens each)

Bought two more "Y" splitters the other day. Wanted four but they only had two. So there's another $4.96 spent and also bought some MG Cactus Plant Liquid Food 2-7-7 ( I know, I know) for $3.98.

Watered them the new nutes twice now and they all seem to be happy. I have some random things going on but I don't think it's anything major to worry about right now. Also had my plants loose their very first set of leaves (the single blade ones) but they are starting to look better. Still no pest that I have seen so pretty lucky so far on my first grow.

Here's some new pics taken with a potato. The 3rd pic at the top you can kinda make out pistols.

Attached Files:

14. Just a random thought/piece of advise :smoking:

Plan really well when your 12/12 "day/night" times are.
    My plants are going to bed at 10pm and I miss having the late night work and looking at them time. When they were in veg I loved to get high and just look at them with music on and checking on things. But now with a 10pm bedtime I miss all that. But on the other hand the lights go off for the night and my room doesn't glow :bongin:

15. Congrats on the girls! First grow seems to be under control.
    Bed time for my girls in the past has been 10 pm also. Your absolutely right, plan plan and re plan. 
    I guess you could get one of those green lights and sit with them.

16. Sweet grow! It's cool what you can do with some CFLs and the basics of knowledge. My first grow started with a shit ton of CFLs, but I switched to a MH and two warm CFLs for flower. What I learned when using CFLs was a lot of temp control. They run hot! I started in March so temps weren't a problem, but come June and July my E bill jumped running the AC like crazy. Any my temps were still in the low 80s. I actually ended up heat stressing her to herm. So watch out for balls if temp continues to be a problem! I'm running n LED this go round and temps are WAY more manageable! Good luck with the rest of the grow and I'll sub up! :smokin:

17. Thanks man. I know I could use better lighting but it's what I have right now. I'm thinking about going LED next time if I have the cash.

CFL's can heat up and you are constantly moving and turning plants and moving lights. I didn't want a ton of stretching in my plants so always tried to keep the lights close. My grow space stays 74-78 daytime.

18. Little update :bongin:

All plants doing good. A couple bottom leave turned yellow and limp after the switch, I just pulled them off. I don't know if it was from the lights or the new nutes. But I've been watching them and they seem to be healthy and growing good. Starting to worry about space though... I have like 3in of space on the Skunks and then got like 6in can I can lower my plants again and then they are on the floor. So not a ton of room left.

Potato cam update

Attached Files:

19. Well all the plants and doing good but I had to lower them to the floor and only have 8in of space for Skunk #2 and a while to go lol. Any suggestions? Im thinking I might just have to find a way to start to bend her over.

Well a couple pistol pics update from the potato cam

Attached Files:

20. They look a bit spindly, Get aggressive with LST. You could easily get  1/2 foot or more. 
    And more bud sites to grow out.  Just a thought.