Selvedge denim

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by sky dog, Oct 7, 2014.

1. So, who else is a selvedge denim enthusiast?

For those who may not know what selvedge denim is, the description from Levi's is as follows:

Selvedge denim is generally stiffer and thicker than the denim used in jeans you'd find at the typical department store. The trend is to wear the hell out of them for months before washing or soaking them, then you start to get distinctive fades. 

I picked up my first pair in July - Hartford Denim Company 001s in 10.5 oz Cone Mills indigo duck. They're real nice and the company offers free lifetime repairs. It's a small operation, so they come in different waist sizes, but apparently it's expected that you'll get them hemmed for the proper length. When I got them they were like a 30 waist and a 36 leg. 

I followed those up with two pairs of Levi's 501XX shrink-to-fits. You can really notice the higher quality in the stiff denim, superior stitching, and the leather patch.

Later this week I should be getting a package containing a pair of Levi's Vintage Clothing 1933 501XX jeans in 10 oz. Cone Mills denim. They're based on the design of the 501 jean in 1933 with suspender buttons, a waist cinch in the back, the crotch rivet, and the National Recovery Administration tag near the leather patch. The site I bought them from didn't have them in my exact size, so I'll have to take them to the tailor and get them hemmed, but I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these.

Anyone else into selvedge denim? What do you have? What do you like about them?

2. I have a couple pairs of True Religion jeans that are selvedge raw denim. I like them because they're not pre-faded, any wear and tear is earned.

3. #3 TimothyTheFirst, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    I used to wear selvedge levi's.  I had one pair that was my favorite and they got beat to shit over the years.

so a few months ago I bought some APCs.  I can only wear them off and on because I can't wear jeans to my job, but they've broken in to a point where they're really comfortable.

Kind of wish I would have bought the new standard instead of petit standard.  petit standard is a little skinnier than I wanted.  it's all good though.

4. Got that pair of LVC 1933 501s today

[​IMG]