Obama Bans Import of Kalashnikov Rifles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ReturnFire333, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Naw I'm saying US sanctions on Russian imported weapons doesn't constitute a breach of the second amendment.

And like Jas said. Most AK's aren't even Russian anymore. I inherited an SKS from my dad. Shits just a Chinese AK basically lol

2. Is it a norinco?
    That's worth keeping.
    But AKs and SKSs are quite different :p

3. Ya it is actually lol

And to me big rifles still a big rifle. I don't ever take the SKS out to the range it's just to uncomfortable for me in every facet.

My older brother tried to give it to the police at a gun turn in time and I flipped a fucking shit. So ATLEAST now it's building dust in With me.

4. Yeah bud definitely worth keeping.
    Do some research on it and find what it's worth!

And lol at police buyouts.

I'm glad you kept it.

Infringement=breach.

6. Buy guns from the bully, it's our Second Amendment right, lol.  

7. #48 Royal Vengeance, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    I'm aware. That's why I used the terms interchangeably.

I can't tell if your being a grammar nazi or aren't comprehending my argument.

8. Or any other eastern bloc country.

Why is Russia a bully?

9. Because over the last ten years it has forcibly tried to rebuild the Soviet Union as well as economically allying against us in every front by doing weird deals with people like the North Koreans or Iran.

All in the attempt to "bully" their way to being another superpower.

Idk. Americans calling Russians bully's though is a little hypocritical XD

10. It's extremely hypocritical.

The US can point out Russia's wrongdoings all day.
    And we'll have 10x as many fingers pointing back at us worldwide.

So I can't exactly fall for the "Russian bully" narrative.

Once again I say, political chess is LOLZ

11. That's an absolutely fair assessment. Both are aggressively pursuing oppressive agendas. Pitiful. Truly pitiful when (I know it's cliche :p) we could be changing the world for so much better but naw....

12. Fuck that!

There are rich assholes who must stay in power!

13. Personally even as a very strong beliver in the 2A it's not the violation of the right to bear arms that is most disturbing to me here as AK style rifles are available from many other sources and russian variants are still available on the used market.

What bothers me is that this president belives he has the right to assume control over the buying power of the American people because putin has made  him look like a spineless jellyfish. In the free market the right to buy or boycott russian goods is up to  the individual citizen, voting with our wallets is possibly far more powerfull than voting in the polls. When he banned the importation of russian rifles to compensate for his political weakness he outright stole this right from the American people.

If we as a nation really had a problem with russia we would not need this legislation to help us send a message. The fact is Obama has an issue and he used rights not belonging to him in a pathetic attempt to inflate his percieved power over Putin.

14. Where's the bill? Who wrote the bill? Who sponsored the bill?

President can't just self create sanctions all willy nilly.

This has more to do with congress than anything. They write the sanctions that president Obama signs.

15. Are you Russian by chance?

How did you feel about Bush's total inaction against Russia for the Georgia invasion? Would you prefer an all out war? what actions would have been appropriate? How about some thought instead of blind bashing? :smoke:

16. Sometimes Pro-Gun disciples make me sick.

America is the only country that still preaches war day after day.
    Looking for recruits for the Military in High school(Happened when I was there).

The 2nd amendment is one of the most bogus things ever, everyone does not deserve the right to bear arms.
    Weapons is power and authority.
    Think of how many assassination attempts of presidents we have had in history, and 2 well-known successful ones.
    The right to bear arms has caused more violence between the people of America,
    Then whatever purpose it supposedly serves,.

17. Ok so Obama  and his acomplaces in congress are guilty, however considering  he had to sign it were does this release him from the responsibility?

So...what's your point again?

18. #59 LuxSpiritus, Oct 8, 2014

The president can control imports of certain materials. Weapons is one of them.

(a) Presidential control of exports and imports of defense articles and services, guidance of policy, etc.; designation of United States Munitions List; issuance of export licenses; negotiations information
    (1) In furtherance of world peace and the security and foreign policy of the United States, the President is authorized to control the import and the export of defense articles and defense services and to provide foreign policy guidance to persons of the United States involved in the export and import of such articles and services. The President is authorized to designate those items which shall be considered as defense articles and defense services for the purposes of this section and to promulgate regulations for the import and export of such articles and services. The items so designated shall constitute the United States Munitions List.
    (2) Decisions on issuing export licenses under this section shall take into account whether the export of an article would contribute to an arms race, aid in the development of weapons of mass destruction, support international terrorism, increase the possibility of outbreak or escalation of conflict, or prejudice the development of bilateral or multilateral arms control or nonproliferation agreements or other arrangements.
    (3) In exercising the authorities conferred by this section, the President may require that any defense article or defense service be sold under this chapter as a condition of its eligibility for export, and may require that persons engaged in the negotiation for the export of defense articles and services keep the President fully and currently informed of the progress and future prospects of such negotiations.
    (b) Registration and licensing requirements for manufacturers, exporters, or importers of designated defense articles and defense services
    (1)
    (A)
    (i) As prescribed in regulations issued under this section, every person (other than an officer or employee of the United States Government acting in an official capacity) who engages in the business of manufacturing, exporting, or importing any defense articles or defense services designated by the President under subsection (a)(1) of this section shall register with the United States Government agency charged with the administration of this section, and shall pay a registration fee which shall be prescribed by such regulations. Such regulations shall prohibit the return to the United States for sale in the United States (other than for the Armed Forces of the United States and its allies or for any State or local law enforcement agency) of any military firearms or ammunition of United States manufacture furnished to foreign governments by the United States under this chapter or any other foreign assistance or sales program of the United States, whether or not enhanced in value or improved in condition in a foreign country. This prohibition shall not extend to similar firearms that have been so substantially transformed as to become, in effect, articles of foreign manufacture.
    (ii)
    (I) As prescribed in regulations issued under this section, every person (other than an officer or employee of the United States Government acting in official capacity) who engages in the business of brokering activities with respect to the manufacture, export, import, or transfer of any defense article or defense service designated by the President under subsection (a)(1) of this section, or in the business of brokering activities with respect to the manufacture, export, import, or transfer of any foreign defense article or defense service (as defined in subclause (IV)), shall register with the United States Government agency charged with the administration of this section, and shall pay a registration fee which shall be prescribed by such regulations.
    (II) Such brokering activities shall include the financing, transportation, freight forwarding, or taking of any other action that facilitates the manufacture, export, or import of a defense article or defense service.
    (III) No person may engage in the business of brokering activities described in subclause (I) without a license, issued in accordance with this chapter, except that no license shall be required for such activities undertaken by or for an agency of the United States Government-
    (aa) for use by an agency of the United States Government; or
    (bb) for carrying out any foreign assistance or sales program authorized by law and subject to the control of the President by other means.
    (IV) For purposes of this clause, the term “foreign defense article or defense service” includes any non-United States defense article or defense service of a nature described on the United States Munitions List regardless of whether such article or service is of United States origin or whether such article or service contains United States origin components.
    (B)   [1] The prohibition under such regulations required by the second sentence of subparagraph (A) shall not extend to any military firearms (or ammunition, components, parts, accessories, and attachments for such firearms) of United States manufacture furnished to any foreign government by the United States under this chapter or any other foreign assistance or sales program of the United States if-
    (i) such firearms are among those firearms that the Secretary of the Treasury is, or was at any time, required to authorize the importation of by reason of the provisions of section 925 (e) of title 18 (including the requirement for the listing of such firearms as curios or relics under section 921(a)(13) of that title); and
    (ii) such foreign government certifies to the United States Government that such firearms are owned by such foreign government.
    (B)   [1] A copy of each registration made under this paragraph shall be transmitted to the Secretary of the Treasury for review regarding law enforcement concerns. The Secretary shall report to the President regarding such concerns as necessary.
    (2) Except as otherwise specifically provided in regulations issued under subsection (a)(1) of this section, no defense articles or defense services designated by the President under subsection (a)(1) of this section may be exported or imported without a license for such export or import, issued in accordance with this chapter and regulations issued under this chapter, except that no license shall be required for exports or imports made by or for an agency of the United States Government
    (A) for official use by a department or agency of the United States Government, or
    (B) for carrying out any foreign assistance or sales program authorized by law and subject to the control of the President by other means.
    (3)
    (A) For each of the fiscal years 1988 and 1989, $250,000 of registration fees collected pursuant to paragraph (1) shall be credited to a Department of State account, to be available without fiscal year limitation. Fees credited to that account shall be available only for the payment of expenses incurred for-
    (i) contract personnel to assist in the evaluation of munitions control license applications, reduce processing time for license applications, and improve monitoring of compliance with the terms of licenses; and
    (ii) the automation of munitions control functions and the processing of munitions control license applications, including the development, procurement, and utilization of computer equipment and related software.
    (B) The authority of this paragraph may be exercised only to such extent or in such amounts as are provided in advance in appropriation Acts.

There you go.

19. #60 Revrend Toke, Oct 8, 2014
    Bush was equally ineffective but that doesn't make "doing something" instead of nothing as Obama has done any better. The financial impact of this will be irrelevant to russian andI the action taken seems more symbolic to me. I don't see it putting any real pressure on russia for the shit they pulled.

Edit: No i'm not russian and I don't support thier actions.  Didn't mean for it to come across as a bash obama post either I bash almost all politicians.