Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Crohns disease experiences (also loss of appetite/nausea)

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Rhymesayers420, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Good time to ask, does alcohol affect us differently? I rarely drink and last time it was like 6 oz of pure alcohol (did math already) over 5 hours and my stomach was wrecked the next day, but I didn't have a hangover in my head so noises and stuff didn't bother me.
    I made brownies with 8g of vaped weed (I use a pax on the lowest setting) and cut the tray into 20 brownies. 1 made me feel wayyyyy better for 4-5 hours so I didn't have to inhale anything for the first 6 hours of my day so that was nice. Making another batch as soon as I finish lunch. They definitely help with crohns in the same way vaping and smoking do, especially eating at night for your morning bowel movement.
    Curious, does vaping help you as much as smoking does? I think it's slightly weaker, along with the high, but I'd rather not smoke so I just accept it for how it is

2. I like the vape high. It doesn't feel any weaker than smoking imo. It's just a different feeling. More of a head high, I would say, you don't get the body high that you do if smoking. As far as relief, I get plenty relief with vaping. Smoking gives me relief too, but the difference between vaping and smoking is that your getting 0 toxins with vaping.

3. I actually get more of a body high than when I smoke. When I smoke I just get really high and want to go do stuff, except running around. I've also been vaping heavy indicas with a sativa hybrid in there once in a while. I'm aware of the safety or health differences with smoking and vaping, I just wanted to know if it felt more effective one way or another to anybody else because smoking definitely quells any stomach issues. After smoking a regular sized blunt I usually don't poop for hours. Essentially the higher I am, the better my stomach feels

4. Anybody still doing Humira injections? 

Man I hate those things, sometimes I can't muster up the toughness to shoot a needle into my own skin. Sometimes I puss out and lift the pen before the 10 seconds and the medicine goes flying everywhere, and not into my leg. This is coming from a dude that grew up playing football his whole life too. I really need to get over this, I know it could be a lot worse. The pen is actually fairly easy to use lol. 

Well.. I just did my injection and it went well... I've been on this stuff for about 8 months now, I've seen some drastic improvements in my bowel movements during this time. This stuff really works at combating inflammation.. the side effects scare the hell out of me though, which is why I get in and see a dermatologist and my regular doctor every other month or so. 

5. I've been on Humira since around June, I actually laughed at the sight of that happening to me if I pulled the needle out too soon haha. I found that taking it out of my fridge and letting it warm up for 20-30 minutes takes 60%+ of the pain away and I only use my thighs so the pain is gone in my leg in about 20 seconds, then I just limp somewhere and relax for 15-20 minutes
    I got the tip to let it get to room temp or slightly below from a Humira nurse that came to my house to show me how to use it so presumably it's safe

Alcohol is the #1 killer for me with Crohn's. The problem is that I like it. I've heard varying opinions about what type of alcohol is easier on us but people say uniformly to avoid if at all possible. Crony says beer only but I've heard colorless liquors go down better (I would assume that means mixed with something that you can tolerate because straight liquor going through your intestines probably isn't good).

Don't smoke with Crohn's, like Crony said in a previous post. Vape (or dab) IMO. Vaping is great for the day too because you don't feel as tired; sometimes I'll mess with the temperature settings and go lower to get a more clear-headed medicated feel (let's say 375 as opposed to the normal 400 I put it on.

You're right about edibles, the best medical way to take them for Crohn's is to take them before bed; it ensures a good night sleep and a (semi) normal bowel movement in the morning. I find about half of what I would take to get "chillin'" with edibles I would take at night. I just made a batch of decarbed kief mixed in melted butter that I'm going to try later today.

7. interesting point you make about the colorless liquor vs just beer. Something to look into...

Dude I'm trying my best to avoid the higher risk meds. I take dicyclomine every once in a while as needed. I've been trying natural remedies that seem to help. Lots of water, avoid high fiber foods, mango & banana smoothies (low fiber and super nutritious), juicing, JuicePlus pills, B12 supplements, and I haven't tried this yet but I've seen a study that suggests folic acid supplements. TBH though I wouldn't pay for JuicePlus if it wasn't given to me; I'm pretty sure it's decently expensive. I'd prefer to pay for my cannabis, like you all would I'm sure. P.S. my last prescription was $180 after insurance for what my GI doctor wanted me to start on, yet marinol was completely covered... Ironic.

9. #69 njnerd, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    If you haven't started Humira and are healthy without it, stay that way. I also have to go to a dermatologist cause of it and I've never really had any kind of acne, even through puberty. I also bruise easily too now. It really has made life livable again though. Without it, id imagine its either feeling like shit or being high as shit feeling good.
    Why shouldn't we smoke though? Is it crohns specific or lung/throat health? I've never noticed smoking bother my stomach/intestines. It's weird cause sometimes my first bowl or two in my vape of the day will basically make my intestines empty themselves and then I can actually eat and not find a toilet 20 mins later after vaping/smoking. This may be because of a reflex my doctor told me about similar to when I eat, where when you ingest something a signal goes off and tricks your body into making more room for it, which seems to happen to me when eating 100% of the time sober

10. I've noticed firsthand that smoking it makes things worse. I went from smoking out of a bong multiple times a day for a long time then switched to pretty much strictly vaping and noticed a significant difference in the severity of symptoms. Or... probably, moderation is key. A joint to celebrate a special occasion or hitting a buddies bong once in a blue moon is probably okay.

I find any form of herb tends to make me go if I'm suffering from a flare up real bad; which tends to prove the validity of the studies that show it reduces inflammation.

11. #71 Crony, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
    Yeah I hope I won't be on Humira for too long, but I have shown significant improvement lately.. There are risks with everything though, similar to the risks you take deciding to drink alcohol while combating an inflammation issue in your digestive tract. 

Smoking is okay, I'll sometimes smoke on weekends as a treat, and if I want to get real stoned or if I'm with some buddies, usually we will smoke. But just understand the difference of vaping and smoking. I like to vape because I know I am getting absolutely 0 carcinogens, as with smoking you are inhaling all the matter within the plant. 

12. You got me on the alcohol thing... I'm doing better though :p

I'm guessing the carcinogens are what worsen inflammation? Idk... after doing some research I think it's more individual. Alcohol on the other hand is not.

13. Lol my bad I wasn't trying to individualize that statement towards anyone in particular, I was just trying to make a point. 

Try reading this article to get a better understanding of the contrasts between vaping and smoking.

http://www.theweedblog.com/smoking-marijuana-vs-vaporizing-marijuana-infographic/

14. You gotta lighten up man. You're 18 right? Crohns isn't gonna go away just because you were nice to it and didnt ever drink or smoke. I smoke when I'm over people's houses otherwise I use a pax but not once has smoking made me feel worse whether its during smoking, 20 mins after or 4 hours after, it's all just relief. Also, I'm not worried about the carcinogens if we're going to talk about why we shouldn't smoke. I have had asthma since I was born so I regularly see a lung doctor (can't remember name atm) and I had literally 12-16% lung function decreases across the board after smoking multiple times a day for 5 months. I get tested every 6 months and that's what made me buy a vape, not because of any cancer. I understand where you're coming from with doing absolutely nothing to maybe worsen crohns but the reality is that with everything you do, the crohns still may not be put it remission. I personally don't think mine will go away because even though I feel better than I did when I first developed crohns, I still lose weight slowly and I'm like 175 at 6'4". I went from 218 to 182 last winter when I first got sick and even after all the medication, eating better and eating more I'm still losing weight. Forgive my unpleasant disposition towards the stopping of doing other things because of crohns, but that's how I feel about it

15. 19 actually, and the first thing I understood when I was diagnosed with this disease is a couple things...

1) There is no cure, for now.... this disease is for life, and I have to accept it. 
    2) The goal for treatment is to limit flare ups and symptoms of inflammation. 

Avoiding triggers is a great way to do that...Alcohol and smoking can be triggers... I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life by any means.. I just post here to share my experiences and thoughts with the disease and the handling of the symptoms.

I don't know about you, but I want to live as long as I possibly can. I want to live a productive, healthy lifestyle until I'm on my death bed. I'm not going to do something to potentially make my inflammation spiral out of control because I know the root of most cancer is chronic inflammation and that scares the hell out of me. 

There is nothing to lighten up about imo.. It's like playing a game of Russian Roulette with your own life. 

16. #76 Rhymesayers420, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
    I'm only 24. I consider myself lucky that I caught it sooner than later and can adjust to it.

I agree. It's hard dude... but I think that with Crohn's, you really do have to make serious lifestyle changes.

I'd argue njnerds point all day until I'm blue in the face with my nurse mother-in-law, but at the end of the day she blamed my suffering on me because I did little to nothing to curb my diet and sporadically took supplements/vitamins and meds. Ever since I've consistently started doing these things, I've noticed differences. Last night and the couple nights before that, I got the best sleep I've gotten in months. It seems to be getting better with adjustment.

However, I think my biggest goal of this thread is to identify the best Cannabis treatments (and/or strains) to:

A. reduce pain, increase appetite, reduce nausea
    B. reduce inflammation

Seeing as I'm in a medical state and some are not, I think it would be best to start some experiments on my end to identify the best strains at which point some of you guys could grow these strains if possible.

To do such an extensive experiment we need to set a few constants:

I will be taking JuicePlus and B12 daily, dicyclomine periodically and not constantly so as not to affect or skew the effectiveness of CBD and THC on the intestines. I also will abstain from alcohol for 30 days from the start of this experiment. I will be using AC/DC 20% CBD tested Cannabis and searching out GDP shatter/crumble for my medical dabs.

I plan on going tomorrow or the next day to one of my main spots and picking up some 20% CBD tested AC/DC.
    I will pick up the GDP oil probably at the same time, I just need to search for a reputable source of it.

I've seen a study suggesting positive CBD reaction the inflammation in Crohn's/UC. This is why I am starting with AC/DC high CBD.
    I've also seen a few different sources suggest GDP as a good anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, so we are going with that assumption in this first trial.

My regimen will be: 3x a day full bowl of AC/DC preferably an hour or so before I eat with dabs intermittently to maintain any flare-ups or pain/lack of appetite. By the two week mark, with consistency and some luck, I hope I should be able to see a difference. 

If anyone has any input on their current treatment regimen with Cannabis or Cannabis and other lifestyle/diet changes, etc. please feel free to comment.

I am hoping that with positive results, we can narrow it down to somewhat of a science. I use the word science very loosely here, all things considered.

P.S.:
    This is Crohn's; you can't live life like you used to anymore. I'd be even more concerned if I was on heavier meds like Humira too!

17. I will have my med card some day. I'm in a non medical state for the time being, so I don't have as much opportunity as you guys to pick and choose between strains. IDK why but forever reason my symptoms are most often experienced early in the AM when I wake up. I just usually have a nice vape sesh in evening, sometimes before dinner, but usually I wait till after I eat.. and the next morning I find myself with relief after a great night of sleep.

I don't like going to work or school medicated, so that's why I wait till evening/night, but I still get relief. I don't think you really have to vape all day to find that relief. It's more or less trial and error. If I had a med card, I would be going through my stash a lot faster though and probably doing a little more day vaping, on days that I don't have much going on. I'm on a bit of a budget so to speak, college life, ya know?

18. I've drank like twice in my life and only felt like shit the second time but I figured that was because it wasnt the first time and my body could actually digest it this time or something idk. I felt fine while drinking but was also smoking a lot (this is months before I found out weed helps) I'm also in college, take online classes because I can't really sit in a silent classroom - my stomach makes too much noise. I have to keep actively smoking/vaping to keep it quiet for over 20 minutes..
    I think you misinterpreted what I meant with saying to lighten up. I don't mean for you to do anything you feel is unhealthy or anything, I just think that you shouldn't be so worried about dying. I didn't know that inflammation was the #1 cause of cancer so I'm more worried myself now.
    I also don't want to go to school or work high but it makes it much more comfortable for me and my boss gets that. Ill look more at those links when I'm back on my computer

19. #79 Rhymesayers420, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014
    Hi guys, just an update.
    Got my second batch of CBD meds, first for this experiment.

Instead of AC/DC, they tempted me with some REALLY potent looking Charlotte's Web so I went with that instead. This stuff has a very interesting story to the origin of it's strain... Good read actually.

Anyway...

I didn't see any GDP shatters but I still have some heavy hitting white rhino that serves that strong indica purpose for now. I will update when I get some GDP shatter and if I notice a difference with the strain.

The clinic I get my CBD meds from has some really nice looking GDP nugs so maybe I'll go that route, we'll see.

I'm about to grind up a bowl of the Charlotte's Web now and get to work on dinner for me and the wifey. Cooking up some seafood pasta alfredo.

EDIT: Took some pics figured I'd post.
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 4.JPG

20. Damn, im high as hell.