Help I cant walk to the other side of my 10 ft room its to long.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by patrickstarstoner, Oct 5, 2014.

1. That's not what I said. I said that there are theoretically an infinite number of points because you can always make smaller and smaller points even if you can't physically show them. Like I said before just because there is an infinite amount of points that can exist in between two points doesn't mean the distance between two points isn't finite.
    I know this may seem weird but it's a very important definition in math. Something that has two endpoints is finite, and can't be infinite according to many. However as I pointed our if you take a distance let's say 4 ft you can always divide into smaller pieces. So 4 ft, which is basically a distance with 4 subdivisions, each a length of one foot long will be 48 inches, and that will be about 120 cm. which will be about 1200 millimeters which will be 1200000 micrometers. Or a distance with 1200000 subdivisions, each a micrometer long. You see how I can think of infinite amount of subdivisions or smaller and smaller units that I can describe each unit by. Just because I can think of theoretically an infinite amount of subdivisions doesn't mean that what is being dividided isn't itself finite. I think those are defined pretty concretely in math, which is a rational study not an empirical one. Remneber Zeno is not trying to argue that we can't walk in this reality. He's saying is it possible to walk at all in any reality and are we just fooling ourselves by thinking that we are moving. I agree Zeno is a douche but I don't think he should be completely written off as some quack. His argument has some validity to it, considering that no one has ever been able to fully disprove him.