LEDs: advanced vs TOP vs Intelligentgro

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rain dancer, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Ok, first post, WOOT!!

So I've been lurking in these forums for about 6 months now trying to soak up all the info I can and finally (read: partially lol) decided on my set up, at least as far as size goes.

I plan on buying a 36" x 20" x 60" tent. to go in a 4ft x 4ft spare closet I have attached to my laundry room.  I would go with an HPS, but where I live, heat will be an issue (there is no AC vent in this room either). With the tent size being what it is, I've been looking at two main contenders as far as light goes, and after going thru this whole thread still cannot make up my mind.  

I've been in contact with @smokesara about a deal on the Mars II 700w. Before I pull the trigger though, for those of you that have or have had this one (@loki and doc I think) would you recommend this for a noob grower like myself? enough power for the tent size, or too much? From what I've read it is pulling less than half the 700w from the wall. This is for personal use, so yield quantity to me isn't as important as quality. 

Really the only reason I'm leaning that way is the price and reading what others have had to say about that particular unit.  I know in the long run I'll end up upgrading (or more likely getting a second "veg" tent for this light)

Thx all

2. dude wrong thread to ask.
    but check journal in my sig abit out of date coz ive got another harvest and a new grow on way to add, but its all under a mars2 700 and the 1st grow in journal was my 2nd ever grow and 1st ever autos

3. Attached Files:

4. thanks oldskool, great looking buds there loki, how far was that from harvest? 

I've purchased my light and seeds (which will hopefully make it here with no issues), still need the tent / ventilation equip. Unfortunately, I won't be able to start until late May, but I'll have to start a journal (in the right section of course)  :smoking:

5. 3-5 weeks frommharvest ive not finished the grow yet but i love tje light :)

auto help page if you need help with autoflowers http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page sept please vote http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-09-03-autoultimate%C2%AE-loki_1752/

6. Just wanna say Im lovin these AdvancedLED xml 650s! Havent tried the others but this light rocks!

7. Hey poke u ever look at amare tech solarspec those things look so promising plus 5yr bumper to bumper warranty

8. no man Im pretty much dead set on staying loyal to advancedled. The light is too damn good to wonder what if. I never thought they'd be this good tbh. I was the biggest skeptic in the world. But im 100% sold now.

9. #329 Weed Dude, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    Poke glad your happy with your light...  Yet that is like driving a Mustang when you never been in a Hellcat Charger.... If your Happy it is all that matters. In the long run within two years the light you own now will most likely be obsolete..The LED technology is advancing at that pace.... I have a closet full of old LED lights. and a HID setup collecting dust... What matters most is what makes you happy. Keep it Green...

10. Haha, we will see :smoke:

11. By looking at solarspec i dont like they put uv in the lights theu use cobs but dont say the wattage of the chips and the umol to area is less than advance leds lights....
    And thats just the xml 350 let alone the xml 650's

12. Leds will double in brightness or effcientcy every 3 or so years so yeah eventully the light will be not obsolite but wont be as efficent as say a newer one but thats normal its like most electronics these days :)

13. #333 Weed Dude, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Contact AMARE I have the specs on their lights just ask them. I have to dig through and find my spec sheets on the SS-260  but four of them make up the Solar Spec 1040 system. and I am pretty sure it matches or beats the XML - 650 and is actually cheaper.... As for the UV on the SE-350 it can be turned on and off independently and all of the recent studies I have read state that  it is very beneficial in trichome production because it causes the plant to protect themselves like they do when they are outdoors and exposed to UVA & UVB.

14. Check Out This video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UejSzGqlfc

Just need to figure out how to get it into my grow tent!!

15. yeah i done tests uv on all the time will cause the plant to have a smaller yeild cause ita trying to protect its self juat like us we cannotnsit out in the uv light all day or we burn now if the thrichs protect the plant what protects the fan leaves from intense uv rays.
    If ya running 1040w thats 400w above the xml650..... also 4 units gotta be pumping out more heat. And if it is 400w more and matches the 650 then surely the 650 is the better light for electricity used

It kinda like saying 1000w is better than a 600w...yes it would be but the 600w hps is more efficeint. :)

16. Uva wont really make them protect them selfs ita not very damaging radiation uvb will tho and uvc would kill them

17. Hate pricks with lights that bright down country lanes.
    As bright or brighter then full beams ffs

Chef.

18. #338 Grow2dab., Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    90tw Mars (TOP) UFO cola.

[​IMG]

I have nothing to compare it against yet but I'm happy either way.[​IMG]

Couldn't this become the norm though now? There are quite a few brands with proven results and it's definitely not as cheap as trying a different brand HID bulb.

19. Why do solar spec use so much green and yellow
    Also that uv bulb is not the best its flouro im guessing which is good for about 12 inches. Before the intensity drops off so hard

Chlorophyll A: 430, 662
    Chlorophyll B: 453, 642
    Alpha Carotene: 442, 444, 478
    Beta Carotene: 425, 480
    Zeaxanthin: 423, 451, 483
    Lutein: 420, 447, 477

So why so much green and yellow in solar specs leds.....

20. LOkI,

Here are the specs on both lights given by the manufactures. Yes I agree the SS- 1040 system has more wattage but cannot say it produces more heat  because I don't know what  heat  the XML light produces.. We maybe comparing apples to oranges here. If you review the charts the 1040 system out performs the 650 XML when it comes to raw UMOLS.at a given height....It dose not use COB's but runs 3 watt diodes.. You then have to factor in efficiency. I used a SS-260 over one plant and produced 327.1 grams so my gpw was (327.1 / 260) = 1.258 gpw. So even though a light uses less wattage does not make it more efficient. Most seasoned growers know that running two 600 watt HID systems is more efficient use of wattage for the amount of lumens produced than two 1K systems when it comes to cost.(Efficiency). 

Here are the spec sheets. (Please be mindful of the distances )

View attachment PAR of SolarSpec1000 (1).pdf

ds-xml-650-infographic-785-update.jpg

As for you UVB here is some research (answer) to your comment / question

View attachment Plant UVB.txt

Here is the full research paper :

http://www.academia.edu/227934/Effects_of_prolonged_UV-B_exposure_in_plants

Like I said to Poke I am glad he is Happy with his purchase and I am sure he made an informed decision. That is all that matters if he is happy. I am a number cruncher it is part of my job.I look at efficiency. My passion is to grow the best meds for my patients. I get tired of my bike is nicer than your bike banter. If it works it works  

WD

LOkI,

Here are the specs on both lights given by the manufactures. Yes I agree the SS- 1040 system has more wattage but cannot say it produces more heat  because I don't know what  heat  the XML light produces.. We maybe comparing apples to oranges here. If you review the charts the 1040 system out performs the 650 XML when it comes to raw UMOLS.at a given height....It dose not use COB's but runs 3 watt diodes.. You then have to factor in efficiency. I used a SS-260 over one plant and produced 327.1 grams so my gpw was (327.1 / 260) = 1.258 gpw. So even though a light uses less wattage does not make it more efficient. Most seasoned growers know that running two 600 watt HID systems is more efficient use of wattage for the amount of lumens produced than two 1K systems when it comes to cost.(Efficiency). 

Here are the spec sheets. (Please be mindful of the distances )

View attachment PAR of SolarSpec1000 (1).pdf

ds-xml-650-infographic-785-update.jpg

As for you UVB here is some research (answer) to your comment / question

View attachment Plant UVB.txt

Here is the full research paper :

http://www.academia.edu/227934/Effects_of_prolonged_UV-B_exposure_in_plants

Like I said to Poke I am glad he is Happy with his purchase and I am sure he made an informed decision. That is all that matters if he is happy. I am a number cruncher it is part of my job.I look at efficiency. My passion is to grow the best meds for my patients. I get tired of my bike is nicer than your bike banter. If it works it works  

WD