Do fish get bored?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Oct 4, 2014.

1. brain size doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence.

Its more about complexity

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. But impressive for a bird

3. I have a feeling birds are far smarter than.people think in general

4. There's a guy in NY who has trained ravens to bring change to a vending machine he built in exchange for nuts and grains. Genius.

5. do the ravens know which coins to use?

6. In the video it just showed the birds dropping off coins into bowl, then bowl dispensed nuts. It looked like quarters? Not sure if he trained with specific coins, but they all looked like 25 cent pieces.
    I'm searching for it...

7. Size means nothing.  Complexity is what matters.

Most of a mammal's brain is composed of glial cells, which are used to insulate the brain, however they DO regulate other functions, like breathing, etc.  However glial cells do not influence intelligence.

Just look at rodents.. they're smart little fuckers, and even display advanced behavior, like laughter.

8. I do want to train ravens to be guard birds.

9.  That's actually pretty easy, but you'd have an easier time with crows, as ravens arent as social.

Crows, on the other hand, live in enormous social flocks, and alert each other to danger.  

But good luck doing it legally, in most states, crows and ravens are illegal to keep as pets.  Many birds are federally protected, even if they aren't endangered, due to the migratory bird treaty act.  

10. I've read that too, but there are loopholes like certain species of crow/raven (they had a white stripe on chest), or you could adopt a crow. I was under the impression you couldn't buy any but If one decides to stick around...

11. Haha I just won my girlfriend two fish at the fair and I wondered this the other day,I'm a bird nerd, and I have a few, birds are very intelligent and very emotional, if they get lonely and bored they will pluck.their feathers out and kill themselves, thats why if you own one you have to spend time with it or get it a playmate, not sure about crows or ravens though, but owning a songbird or other wild bird is illegal, even if one is injured you have to.take it.to a wildlife center.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. #32 yurigadaisukida, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
    I noticed my guppies act the same regardless of 7 gallon tank or 40 gallon tank

It seems to me they do get bored, but they are more interested in food and sex than their environment

"what is a bunny of fish?" - Christopher Brown

13.  They display  more natural behaviors when you separate them.  With the males no longer continually harassing them, the females can finally relax and enjoy their day. :laughing:

Males dont get that luxury, in the absence of females, they will harass other males.  They generally wear themselves out and die young.  In fact, male guppies will attempt to breed with any fish that slightly resembles a female guppy.

14. #34 g0pher, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    Found this study 

http://www.themarysue.com/hate-fish/

Your Fish is Unhappy With Its Small, Boring Tank

[​IMG]

The first study to take a comprehensive look at fish aggression related to the size of the environment has revealed that most pet fish are probably really, really upset. The study found that cramped, boring conditions can make normally placid fish irritable, and sometimes aggressive to the point of attacking and killing their tankmates.
    \nThe study, led by Ronald Oldfield with Case Western Reserve Universitywas published in a recent edition of Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. In it, Oldfield looked at the Midas cichlid in three different environments. The first, the fish's natural home in a Nicaraguan lake; the second, a cunningly crafted artificial stream in a zoo; and third, the much smaller tanks used by pet owners.
    \nOldfield found that the fish, which were all juvenile so as to rule out the behavioral changes associated with mating, behaved dramatically different in the smaller tanks. In such tanks, he observed fin-flaring and other signs of moderate aggression. Sometimes, this escalated to nipping, and even attacking other fish in the tank.
    \nBesides tank size, Oldfield also looked at the so-called “complexity” of each tank. He found that tanks that had plants, rocks, and hiding places had less aggressive fish. Small, boring tanks had the opposite effect, with fish in these tanks showing more signs of aggression.
    \nWhile the welfare of aquarium fish may seem like a low priority, there are apparently well over 182.9 million fish currently in captivity in the U.S. alone. Furthermore, any fish owner certainly doesn't want their pets to be unhappy. Especially if that pet happens to be particularly expensive. But Oldfied thinks that his work could have larger implications, suggesting that humans could possibly behave like fish when put into crowded, confined spaces with little stimulation.
    \nSo the takeaway is for all you icthyophiles out there: Give your aquatic pal the big, interesting tank he/she/it deserves.

15. how do you determine if a fish is remembering anything at all?

16. Because they do, lol.  Common carp are difficult to fish for because they never forget a bait that resulted in them getting hooked.  

Trout and other anadromous/catadromous fish remember exactly where they were born, even several years out to sea.  Scent is strongly associated with memory, so the fish easily find their way back.  You can even train your fish to do tricks.  Some fish even display affection, especially catfishes and carps.  you can easily find videos on youtube of friendly fish.

They're vertebrates, after all..  we're all smart.

17. I'd like to add my own findings here

I just took 3 zebra danios out of the overcrowded tank, and put them into a 40 gallon by themselves to breed.

They are obviously much happier by themselves in the 40 gallon, than in the overcrouded 36 gallon

I'm gonna have to get more tanks :blink:

Fortunately I do aquaponics. So I can make cheaper tanks made for outdoors and allow the fish to live outside (something I've had great success with actually)

The fish seem to like bugs algae and sunlight (probly not the 90 water though, but they did fine for the whole summer)

Speaking of which, anyone have suggestions for keeping outdoor tanks cool in the summer?

Shade and waterfall is all I got

"what is a bunny of fish?" - Christopher Brown

18. One way to keep your fish entertained.. I guess..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1tjBmwuXI

19. I have some new findings to add

I've noticed a certain common fish behavior seems to he associated with boredom

After removing most of the decoration from my tank, the fish swim up and down the glass. I've seen this behavior a lot not just in my own tanks. When they really stressed they do this as well

They stop this behavior if the tank is larger and more well decorated.

hey man. ba-a-a-ack off. I can be a sheep all I want!

20. You grow using the outdoor tanks?